GO 500 not recognising memory card it had already used — TomTom Community

GO 500 not recognising memory card it had already used

economadeconomad Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
Hi,
My GO 500 kept hanging when I tried to update to the latest release. I suspected t was a memory problem on the memory card (Sandisk 16GB) so I removed it and reformatted it as FAT32 and replaced it but it was not picked up by the device. I have tried resetting numerous times as well as removing & reinstalling the memory card but to no avail. The device says No Maps Available. I have over 6GB available in the device memory but it is not enough for any of the European map options.
Any suggestions appreciated (TomTom phone support using the UK number has a message saying closed due to Bank Holiday when it is not one in the UK. I have had no response from an email request either.)

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,203 Superuser
    edited June 10
    Hi @economad

When you reformatted to Fa232 did you do a Full format or a quick format. If the latter then do it again

Doug
  • economadeconomad Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks for your suggestion of a full format which I tried (including reset) but unfortunately to no avail. It seems like part of the TT OS is missing as I have no menu functionality on the device itself and no way of reinstalling the OS or doing a hardware reset. Stymied.
    Hi @economad

If you have no Map available then you need to look at the following Video.

However I think that as you are trying to Update and load the European map that is too big to go on the internal memory. You will need also to put the card in and format it in the GO500..

To achieve the above I think we need to get @VikramK to add a small map to your account so you can get the unit working again then you can try to install the European map..Have a look here tomorrow to see if he adds the map which you should see in MDC when you open the software .

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034305/what-to-do-if-your-device-displays-no-maps-found/p1?new=1

Doug
  • cabuildcabuild Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi, I have this very same issue, no map on device, Euro Map too large and no way to format SD card as device won't let me access settings due to no map. Can anyone help or advise where I can get a small map from to put on my device to get me past this issue?
    Thanks
    Hi Doug,
    Thanks again for your suggestions. I looked at the video but it does not say anything about not seeing the memory on the card. Is it your understanding that if I install a small map to internal memory it will get the unit working again so that it will wake up to the fact that there is a card? I will give it a try in any case f a small map is made available to download. BTW when I tried following the instructions in the video about emptying the cache the option was greyed out and when I looked at the folder in question through File Explorer it only contained a small XML file, no map. I presume that explains it being greyed out.
    Update: I successfully installed a smaller map gratefully made available by Vikram (fits in main memory) and my 500 is fully functional again except for the memory card. After several resets and insert/removals of card it is still not registering even though it was registering just a few days ago (before my failed map upgrade). I have checked the card on my laptop & it is working fine. Still stymied!
    edited June 11
    Hi @economad

Half way there then. It is possible the card has a problem now.

Have you put the memory card in the PC and reformatted it . If not then try that except do a Full Format not a quick format.

Then reinsert and if not asked go to System in Settings and select format the Memory card and then Map when asked..

Doug
    Hi Doug,
    Did full format of card on laptop & inserted into TT, no response. Went into settings, selected Format and it prompted me to insert a card. I tried this with the card already inserted and inserted only after the prompt but with the same negative result. I also tried resetting the TT from a long press and also from the settings menu (probably the same but not sure) all with no avail. My suspicion at this stage is that TT did a software update on my unit and this introduced a bug. Is it possible to revert to an earlier version of the OS?
    edited June 12
    Hi, as above I am having same issue with my Go 500. Could @VikramK possibly please provide me with a copy of the small map which would fit on the device so I can get it up and running again?
    Many Thanks
    edited June 12
    Hi @economad

I suspect the card is just not being accepted by the TT for some reason. It is not unknown for some of the lesser know makes to not work at all but yours is a Sandisk so should normally work okay. maybe something has happened that stops it in a TT but is okay on your PC. Can you get another one to try?

If you Tap menu then scroll to the right and Tap the ? in a blue circle then Tap About what application version do you get. If it is 18.203.0026.311 (0) (05/04/2019) then it is the same as that on my GO5000.

I have just tested on my unit and there was no problem in that as soon as I inserted a card it immediately asks what I wanted to format it for so would seem no fault in the software.

Doug
    Yes, same version as you so OS should be OK unless some model difference. I managed to get TT support today and was on for about 30 mins but the only new thing was a request to test my card in my mobile phone (apparently because laptops are more resilient) and it worked there also. The support operator concluded that it is a hardware fault with the card reader itself. This is indeed possible but seems a little unlikely but I am not likely to find out as I am not willing to invest in repairing this device when I can put the money to better use in getting a newer one. Two other things of interest: Because of the dilemma I am in and with a trip to France imminent I was given access to the map of France but it has failed to install even though it will fit in main memory! I will try again overnight as it takes a long time with my low bandwidth connection. The other thing is that I resorted to trying our Garmin Nuvi 2445 and it actually succeeded in downloading a map of Europe but somehow managed to leave out France!!
    Update: Got French map successfully installed on GO 500 (main memory) and whole Europe (this time including France!) on Garmin Nuvi. Interesting that the Garmin did not need a memory card to do latest Europe map. I will leave any further investigations into the memory card problem on the 500 aside for the time being. Thanks for your help.
    Hi
    Further to me previous posts on this thread, is anyone able to help and provide me with any small map that I can install direct to my Go500, as I am currently locked out of the device settings as it has no map installed on it, and I cannot get a large map onto the device as I cannot format any SD card on the device without access to settings.
    Thanks
    HI @cabuild

I have flagged @VikramK

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,159 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @cabuild

A smaller map has been added..

It will be offered for download in MyDrive Connect.

Regards
    Vikram
  • Lost in NorthumberlandLost in Northumberland Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Hi,
    I have a similar problem with 5000. I have tried two new micro sd cards and the unit is just saying saying 'No maps available - Reinstall a map you already own or go to the TomTom shop to buy a map'. The cards arrive already formatted and I can't access anything on the unit to format. In fact I can't access anything at all on the unit My drive connect shows the option to download map, but when selected it advises me to buy a card which is already in the unit! I have tried a reset, but now just get a computer text screen - see attachment. Any advice please.
    Hi @Lost in Northumberland

The following video explains what to do if you have the No Map found.

@VikramK will probably add a small map to your account so that you will then be able to sort the GO5000 out Once you are able to start the unit normally and Format the memory Card, which should be 16gb or Maximum 32gb, for maps you can install the Europe map.

Keep the small map on the internal memory so you will be able to start your unit if you have any problems updating the Europe map.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034305/what-to-do-if-your-device-displays-no-maps-found/p1?new=1

Doug
  • Lost in NorthumberlandLost in Northumberland Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Hi Doug,
    Thanks for that and have tried, but My Drive shows my map but will not let me install. Pulling hair out now. Tried resetting the unit, but just the same.
    Pete

Think you may have to wait to see if @VikramK can add a small map for you then try again. It will be tomorrow now.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,159 TomTom Moderator

A smaller map of UK and ROI has been added for your device.

It should be available for download in MyDrive Connect.

This should get installed on the internal memory of the device which will allow you to format the memory card on the device and install a larger map.

Regards
    Vikram