Avoid dirt routes all the time ??- TomTom RIDER

JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 273 [Exalted Navigator]
edited June 13 in RIDER
say, i always want to avoid dirt, why am i drilling down in the settings to avoid dirt setting to turn back on.
yes, all the time, every ride, i want to avoid dirt. twisty route, thrill route, fastest, avoid dirt.

i have had the 400 for about 2 years now, so i'm guessing there will be no changes, heck still can't make a gas stop or lunch stop on it. But i am getting tired of changing a route or something, then booking onto a road that changes or has never been paved.

rant over

Comments

• Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    Nobody should trust any navigational system blindly... Every map has errors.

The only way to avoid surprises is to design your route carefully by cross checking it mile by mile.

You can cross check it by using Google Maps satellite and street views, but that can be outdated too. For example according to the Google street view there was a gasoline station on a country road. But the image was taken 5 years ago and the station was not there anymore. It ruined my trip...

It seems that the best way to cross check it is to discuss your route on a forum, etc.

I guess autonomous driving may fix all of those problems in the far future...
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 273 [Exalted Navigator]
    Thanks for the amazing wisdom and insight, if I check avoid tolls and it takes me to toll roads all the time because the setting down not stick and gets turned off all the time, is that OK??
    Why does the avoid dirt setting get shut off all the time. I'm not asking about if the road per the map is dirt. This is about the setting to avoid dirt not sticking

That is the issue, but it is what it is, been this way for years, no doubt after the crippled 40/400 after the rider 5, we are a forgotten group with needs that go unheard.
    Vikram
    You think the devise switching off settings is worthy of a like and a great response??
    The setting to avoid dirt gets turned off
    That is the issue, not the road conditions

The setting, please do not Change the setting once chosen!
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    Thank you for the clarification. Normally the settings don’t change without touching them... Something is wrong with your installation, I guess a corrupted settings file...

I’ve no clue how to fix that, a drum roll reset doesn’t seem to fix that kind of glitches.

Contact with support and open a case is the best thing to do.

Let us know...
  • thewombatthewombat Posts: 24 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a TT Rider 400 and have set it to always avoid dirt roads. This setting does not change unless I change it. However, occasionally I do find a supposedly paved road is actually unsealed and I have to detour around it. If in doubt whether the road is sealed or not (common when I ride through the outback roads of Australia) I will compare the route TT advises with a recent edition paper map or check on line with Google maps or read blogs to make sure I don't end up where I don't want to. Maps do contain errors, often to do with speed limits, and also with new roads or rebuilt roads following a different alignment.
    The setting changes if I try to change the route type, say to winding
    Then it includes dirt roads, select something to exclude, then have to drill down and try to change the setting again.

Glad it works great for everyone else
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,502 Superusers
    Hi
    @Joel S.

Do you mean that the actual switch in Setting --> Route planning --> Avoid Unpaved roads is being turned off ???
    Or the Route is ignoring the setting ???

I recall a discussion a while ago where the Plan a thrill option was returning 'No route possible'

Avoid Unpaved roads on every route Ignored....
    I recall this as being a compromise to a 'No Route Possible' error
    When the Thrill route option was introduced, in certain circumstances where a user had set 'Avoid on every route + 'Unpaved roads', the device reported 'No Route possible'... When in fact there was a route possible but using 'Unpaved roads'

If you have 'Avoid on every route + Unpaved roads' (or one or more of the other 3 options) set and you want to pre-check a route....
    After the device has calculated the route Tap the 4Dot (....) --> Tap Current Route... If the Route is OK the 'Avoid Toll and More' Icon will be greyed out
    If the the 'Avoid Toll and More' Icon is highlighted Tap on the 'Avoid Toll and More' Icon
    The option/s causing the problem/s will be highlighted

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    if i have avoid dirt, then select a destination, then change route type to winding, it sometimes will say, "includes dirt roads" tap here to change, so more needs to be done to avoid it. so i do what i need to change the setting for the route, then if i deviate from the route it chose, it tries to take me on tiny sketchy dirt roads. this is in populated areas, with bazillions of roads.

guess its just me, my unit, and my roads i ride. from the sounds of it.
  • TheMasterBlasterTheMasterBlaster Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Ste7ios wrote: »
    Nobody should trust any navigational system blindly... Every map has errors.

The only way to avoid surprises is to design your route carefully by cross checking it mile by mile.

You can cross check it by using Google Maps satellite and street views, but that can be outdated too. For example according to the Google street view there was a gasoline station on a country road. But the image was taken 5 years ago and the station was not there anymore. It ruined my trip...

It seems that the best way to cross check it is to discuss your route on a forum, etc.

I guess autonomous driving may fix all of those problems in the far future...

That is the most generic piece of BS I have read. The Rider GPS maps you on dirt roads when you have that option turned off. The settings don't change, it just sometimes ignores the setting and selects dirt roads. Often it does this, not seldom. This when paved roads are next to them. This is clearly a bug in the navigation software that has been there for a few years. TomTom needs to fix this.