Multi-sport watch becomes leaky

oyevseyev_un43oyevseyev_un43 Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
edited January 10 in Runner & Multi-Sport
Hello.
Several days ago I washed my watch. After that it start toggle the menu screens. If I press neither Left, Up or Down buttons - menu screens were changed but immediately after that comes back "to the last right" items of menu list. It seems like Right button were pressed all time. After 10-20 seconds screen was frozen in clock mode. Pushing any of buttons causes no response.
Reset function was unavailable. Watch were ignore the dock station and all buttons.
So that the device was opened and the inspection revealed cracks in the rubber membrane under joystick.6c2cc455-226a-4821-9973-11e398c4bce3.jpg As wee can see there is waterproof option was lost - water inside.
Apparently, these cracks caused by sharp ends of joystick "legs", that transfer your pressure thru the waterproof membrane to PCB located button switch and eventually tears rubber. 14e87cce-6f57-48ab-9b50-d6487c9f9810.jpg

The question is - it is normal for 2 years old watch? I need to buy the new one? :?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,726 Superusers
    It is not unusual, it is only plastic and rubber after all. Whether 2 years is reasonable is a personal opinion (I think it is reasonable, i have lower expectations for consumer electronics). Unfortunately, you are out of warranty so you will need to buy a new watch in any case. You can try calling Customer Support and they may offer you a discount on a replacement, but do not buy another MultiSport. The Spark3 and Adventurer have more storage, a more readable screen with larger metrics, along with a bunch of new features (indoor gym mode, indoor bike mode, music on the watch, custom race mode, the ability to follow trails, longer battery life, etc.). It may cost you a little more but it will well be worth it for the added features and future proofing (future updates are generally only be for the latest generation of watches, the original MultiSports do not appear to be getting any more updates). You are buying four year old technology with the MultiSport watches and are severely limiting yourself for the future.

To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact at the bottom, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • AutotomppaAutotomppa Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had same problem. I had two times opened the watch with Torx (first time) and with screwdriver (yesterday) . There are 6 small screws. Be careful.

I let it dry for one day. I took the inside pin connection open. And raised the joystick switch from its place. Now it is working. The sealing is of course in bad mode.

My TT is three years old. I look a new device. I'm not sure of my repair method.