Linking more than one TOMTOM to one my drive account — TomTom Community

Linking more than one TOMTOM to one my drive account

Before I got my first TomTom I was on the TomTom web site and saw I could have more than one TomTom linked to one my drive account. Each TomTom would be identified in your my drive account by its SIM card number and its serial number. I spoke to TomTom to confirm this and was told that was all correct and that I could have unto 10 TomTom linked to my one my drive account and they would all work independent to each other.
This was good news to me as I only have one email account and I was aware that I would need to have another TomTom within a year.
I then went out and bought a TomTom Go 5100 and everything was working well about 8 month later I had to get a second TomTom. Before I got the TomTom I checked on the TomTom website about having more than one TomTom linked to one my drive account and read how to link the second TomTom to your my drive account. I then spoke to TomTom to confirm that I understood how it was done and was told I was correct and was told both devices would be independent of each other.
I then went out and bought a TomTom Go 5200 and linked it to my drive drive account everything worked as I was told it would both TomTom could work independent of the other and would go to different places at thee same time.
After 6 months one of the TomTom developed a fault the screen would not come on I spork to TomTom and was told to send it to them. I sent the broken TomTom away and 2 days later TomTom told me that they would send me a replacement TomTom. When the new TomTom arrived I removed the old TomTom of my drive account and added the nw TomTom everything seemed ok.
About 3 or 4 days had passed before both TomToms were used at the same time. I had set of going somewhere everything was ok as I was driving along the TomTom said something I did not hear it properly following its directions. A friend was using my other TomTom and programmed in where they wanted to go and set of on the journey.
To my surprise my TomTom then says that I had arrived at my destination as this was not where I expected to be at a shopping centre as I was going to hospital for an appointment I then saw my friends car at first I thought I had put the wrong address in the TomTom. I called the hospital and rearranged my appointment told the TomTom to go home. On the way home my TomTom said something this time I heard it say "destination updated" and took me to where the other TomTom was going both TomTom had become linked.
I spoke to TomTom and they said they were working on the problem the temper fix was to link each TomTom to different my drive accounts with different email addresses.
Thats no use to me only having one email address.
Since then TomTom have said
1, You cant have more than one TomTom on one my drive account.
2, It is working as it should
3, You can link one TomTom to your account and you can link your mp3 or other devices to your my drive account.
4, we are working on the problem.
5, you never have been able to link more than one TomTom to your my drive account.
6, Nothing ignore the customer.

I have now had one TomTom expensive paper weight for over a year the only good thing about this I have got very good getting about London using the A to Z but I did not get 2 TomToms to keep one as a paper weight and use the A to Z to become a London black cab driver.

TomTom are the ones that are in breach of contract as the services provided are part of the contract.
The problem is I bought my TomToms from a shop and TomTom say its nothing to do with them take it to the shop I bought it from. The shop looked at the TomTom when I took it back and said there is nothing wrong with the TomTom they wont refund my money speak to TomTom.
How do I get my money back for a very expensive TomTom paper weight.

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,467 Superuser
    edited June 11 Accepted Answer
    Hi @macskin

I note that you have flagged that you disagree . Can I suggest that you look at this post by @YamFazMan which confirms what I am saying and is the recognised solution to your problem. He has confirmed in Bold that Traffic and Live services are not affected unless you are in the US.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1625164/#Comment_1625164

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,414 Superusers
    edited June 12 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @macskin

Logging out of MyDrive on your devices is the way to go....
    When you need to sync a route file, log back into MyDrive on the device/s you wish to sync the data
    I use this method with eight devices... After all, you only need to enter the password, the device remembers the email address

If you're not happy logging in/out of MyDrive on the devices, you will need to set up a MyDrive account with different Email and password for each device... the downside is you will need to set up and maintain multiple MyDrive (Web) Route planner accounts for any MyPlaces, POI's and Routes you wish to sync to each individual device

Note... If you are restricted to only having one email address
    You can use a false email address like
    [email protected] But when using a false email and choosing what goes into 'Anything_Goes_Here' be careful
    Make sure its not someone's real email address, or they will receive all of your contact emails from Tomtom

I maintain three NAV4 devices Start 60, GO 5000, Rider 400 and five NAV5 (Wifi) GO 520, 620, 6200, Premium & Rider 550 by simply logging in/out of MyDrive
    I use a single password across all the devices... You only need to enter the password, the device remembers the email address
    Most of the time on the individual devices I am out logged of MyDrive and only log in to sync data as required, then log out again

NAV4.................. Tap (.... Menu) --> Tomtom Services --> MyDrive... Stop Syncing
    NAV(5)+Wifi)... Tap (.... Menu) --> Setting --> MyDrive... Stop Syncing

Note.....
    Logging out of MyDrive on the device does not stop the device receiving Tomtom Traffic and live services info

The above does not work in the USA the Live Traffic system is different to UK/Europe

ATB YFM

Answers

edited June 11
    Hi @macskin

The solution to the problem of your unit changing the destination because someone programmes another unit on the same account is simple.

Go on to each unit and log out of your account.

This will not adversely affect the function of each unit ie Traffic etc. When you need to update or sync any Poi, Route or My Places from your account to a unit then log into the account on the unit until it has completed whatever you want to do then log out again

By doing this you can still have up to 10 units on the account and you can sync them to have the same data. By logging out the unit is unable to sync to the account and so any changes on your unit are not saved in your account until you log in on the unit.

Doug

• macskinmacskin Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
    edited June 11
    No thats not the solution to log out the account loges you out of the live parts so you do not get the updates on your route, traffic, and searches
    If I wanted a TomTom that had no lives services I could off saved a lot of money and get cheaper TomTom or went to another sat nav and got what TomTom advertised and failed to provide.
    The last message from TomTom to me about this was 24th May 2019 I have sent 4 replies and TomTom are not responding as they know they are in the wrong
    edited June 11 Accepted Answer
    Hi @macskin

I note that you have flagged that you disagree . Can I suggest that you look at this post by @YamFazMan which confirms what I am saying and is the recognised solution to your problem. He has confirmed in Bold that Traffic and Live services are not affected unless you are in the US.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1625164/#Comment_1625164

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,414 Superusers
    edited June 12 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @macskin

Logging out of MyDrive on your devices is the way to go....
    When you need to sync a route file, log back into MyDrive on the device/s you wish to sync the data
    I use this method with eight devices... After all, you only need to enter the password, the device remembers the email address

If you're not happy logging in/out of MyDrive on the devices, you will need to set up a MyDrive account with different Email and password for each device... the downside is you will need to set up and maintain multiple MyDrive (Web) Route planner accounts for any MyPlaces, POI's and Routes you wish to sync to each individual device

Note... If you are restricted to only having one email address
    You can use a false email address like
    [email protected] But when using a false email and choosing what goes into 'Anything_Goes_Here' be careful
    Make sure its not someone's real email address, or they will receive all of your contact emails from Tomtom

I maintain three NAV4 devices Start 60, GO 5000, Rider 400 and five NAV5 (Wifi) GO 520, 620, 6200, Premium & Rider 550 by simply logging in/out of MyDrive
    I use a single password across all the devices... You only need to enter the password, the device remembers the email address
    Most of the time on the individual devices I am out logged of MyDrive and only log in to sync data as required, then log out again

NAV4.................. Tap (.... Menu) --> Tomtom Services --> MyDrive... Stop Syncing
    NAV(5)+Wifi)... Tap (.... Menu) --> Setting --> MyDrive... Stop Syncing

Note.....
    Logging out of MyDrive on the device does not stop the device receiving Tomtom Traffic and live services info

The above does not work in the USA the Live Traffic system is different to UK/Europe

ATB YFM
    Hi @DougLap
    Hi @YamFazMan

Sorry I did not think you were correct before I should have known better than listen to TomTom. According to TomTom if I log out of my drive the live services would not work and it would affect other things on the TomTom as well and the only thing I could do was to have a difrent email address for each TomTom and have 2 my drive accounts.
    TomTom's website said have up to 10 devices linked to one my drive account each.

I will have to keep my device linked to my drive as it helps me as my schedule changes through the day and my partner can update my destination from home to saves me from having to find a place to stop and spend 5 to 10 mins on the phone then trying to find the post code for new destination and TomTom my partner uses can be logged out.

After I spoke to TomTom about this problem and TomTom at first were saying to me that I was the only one having this problem. I did a bit of digging on the internet and found out that before I had even found it advertised on the TomTom site TomTom were aware of this problem in fact TomTom had known about this problem for 2 years if you were lucky enough to have it working that in the end you would end up having both devices updating each other.

TomTom stoped telling customers that you could link more than one device to your my drive account over a year ago and only removed it from there web site a few months ago as I sent TomTom a link to it when TomTom told me that you have never been able to connect more than one device to your my drive account.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,574 Superuser
    OK, if you'd feel better being signed in, then there's another simple solution: just make up an email address. It's used only for authentication and you are not asked to confirm it. So make a TomTom account with something like [email protected] and sign in with that on both mydrive and on the satnav.

I have several TomTom devices synced over different email addresses and only one has a real email address.
    @big

one TomTom is linked and the other TomTom logged out works as well as one the one logged out wont update the other one

How about TomTom do what they advertised or admit that they cant do what thy said and admit breach of contract.
    then issue refund for TomTom that can not preform as advertised