Request for adding a smaller map due to a SDCard failure. - Page 3 — TomTom Community

Request for adding a smaller map due to a SDCard failure.

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,133 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @radek68

It won't be possible to add specific countries. The maps are available in different cuts which include a specific set of countries.

I have added Western Europe which can be installed in zones. Just find the right zone as per your requirements and install it.

Regards
    Vikram
    Hi @clarinet

Welcome to the community!

A smaller map of UK and ROI has been added for your device.

When connected to MyDrive Connect, you should be able to download it to the internal memory of the device.

Regards
    Vikram
  • BigRedttBigRedtt Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    clarinet wrote: »
    Thank you, @BigRedtt.

Unfortunately, I cannot currently choose a small map. I have free lifetime Europe maps; there are variants available (they differ in 3D buldings coverage), but none of them fits to the GO 5000 memory.

My only hope is that moderators will assign an extra small map to my account as mentioned above so that I can install something on the device itself.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Identical issue to me, except you cannot add a small map yourself as you have subscription only to Europe, which is bigger than the internal memory.

I see above that the mods here have manually given your account access to a small map to allow the workaround.

All this said, it should not need this workaround at all. This is a very bad bug from tomtom!
  • Tony70Tony70 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Hi @Vikramk,
    the smaller map did solve my problem, very much appreciated.

Many thanks for the swift support on this issue.
    Regards
    Tony70
  • radek68radek68 Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    edited June 10
    Hi @VikramK,

I have connected the browser and the complete maps of Western Europe appear. All the maps that come out of Europe exceed 6.5 gb and no longer fits.
    I've seen on this page that they could install smaller areas, that's what you referred to as VikramK? Because they do not come out.

Thanks greetings.jov0muqf15io.png

• franko10afranko10a Posts: 29 [Master Explorer]
    edited June 10
    I attempted to re-install maps only to be told I had insufficient space. WTF is happening? I was installing LESS than I lost so how can I not have enough space? I have a 16GB card. What do I have to do to get back to normal? I really only want to download and install UK maps.I don't need Europe.
    Thankfully I have an Aguri sat nav that is better and has never let me down.
    There are always too many problems with Tom Tom downloading and installing and the time it takes sometimes (even for a small 5Mb) is unacceptable.

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,062 Superusers
    edited June 10
    Hi
    @franko10a

The Full Europe Map size is now 9.13GB exceeding the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    For the larger Maps like the Full Europe map you need to install a Micro SDHC memory card
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card...The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)

vft63esuy9vo.jpg
    Maybe Tomorrow @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your Account
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

ATB YFM
  • franko10afranko10a Posts: 29 [Master Explorer]
    Thank you ATB YFM for the information. Very helpful. I will go and purchase a 32Gb Micro SDHC card.
  • SalkrenoSalkreno Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Hello,

I have same problem as user clarinet stated above. On my GO600 I deleted map from device so I can update it, but now there is no enough space for new Europe map version and in my account there is no small map to choose. Also I can not access to format micro sd card to expand memory. Please moderator assign some small memory map to my account so I can format my micro sd card and then install Europe map update. Like this my device is useless. Thank you
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,160 Superuser
    HI @Salkreno

See if @VikramK sees this tomorrow and allocates a map.

Doug
  • clarinetclarinet Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Thank you all. I confirm I have now a small map available in my account so I could install it, format the microSD card and try to install a big map of Europe.

However, the installation of the big map takes ages (calculated time is about 2 hours of upload time) and two trials already failed somewhere near the end. I am running the third trial now. Are there any tips on how to speed up the upload?
  • zzkzzk Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    edited June 11
    Hello! @VikramK or others that may help, I'm having this exact problem on my GO40.

My microSD card stop working (which is strange all by itself, but I guess it happens).
    Now I can't format my new card and the internal memory doesn't have enough space to install my europe map (even the smaller versions without buildings - it misses by about 30MB).

If you could please allocate any map to my account so I can format my card, I would very much appreciate it!

Thank you.
    Hi
    @clarinet

Are you using a Laptop.. If 'Yes' is it hard-wired back to the router or over Wi-Fi
    How fast/slow is your Internet connection

I'm using Virgin Media 110MB/s Fibre optic broadband

Full Europe Map about 50/55 Mins

ATB YFM
    @zzk

A smaller map of UK and ROI has been activated for your device.

Regards
    Vikram
    Thank you so much.
    I’ll leave feedback once I get home and try it out.
  • clarinetclarinet Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    @YamFazMan

Thanks. The maps are already downloaded. I only need to upload them to the device and it takes a couple of hours. The predicted time in MyDrive Connect is 2 hours, but in reality it takes even more.
  • Diego_BDiego_B Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    same catch22 situation here... @VikramK could you please activate a small map of Italy to my account so that I can finally get my new SD card and my lifetime EU maps back to work?
    @Diego_B

Done added!

Regards
    Vikram
    Hi
    @clarinet

You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

ATB YFM
  • GeorgieRussellGeorgieRussell Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited June 13
    Hi @lampard

I also have a Go6000 with a 32Gb memory card (greyed out so cant be used) and my Europe maps are too big too fit internally (only 6525MB free) even without 3D buildings.

Can you please assign to my account a small map (e.g. UK) too so I can follow the steps above to format the SD card?

Thanks

Ps - it was a March update from TomTom that wiped my maps and prevented me from using it anymore :(
    VikramK wrote: »
    @zzk

A smaller map of UK and ROI has been activated for your device.

Regards
    Vikram

Hello again!
    It’s all gone back to normal.

Thank you for your quick help!
  • RomadkRomadk Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    @VikramK I have the same issue - the new maps are to big to fit the GO5000. Could you please make available a smaller map covering Denmark ? Thanks :)
  • TyneBrandTyneBrand Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    No maps installed and can't access Menu to format memory card - CANNOT INSTALL MAPS!!!
    @Romadk & @TyneBrand

Smaller map has been activated on the device.

When you connect the device to MyDrive Connect now, it should be offered for download.

Regards
    Vikram
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online57

Dennish
Dennish
DougLap
DougLap
Elchdoktor
Elchdoktor
Fazer-Thom
Fazer-Thom