seem to have a charging issues — TomTom Community

seem to have a charging issues

MikenicollMikenicoll Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
hi all
been using my tomtom 6250 for about 1 year 5 month
recently had problem with it running out off battery when out on the road so upgraded my USB charger to a 5v/2.4a
but again it's still running out off battery life when out on the road . some time while driving it will come up with the automatic disconnect count down as if it's not charging anymore
any advice
thanks

Answers

• MrMMrM Posts: 148 [Exalted Navigator]
    Check the contacts in the holder. Opposite (backside) to the copper looking range.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,211 Superusers
    edited June 10
    Hi
    @Mikenicoll

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

As a test...
    Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter

The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,331 Superuser
    edited June 10
    HI @mikencoll

Firstly if you connect your unit and it is working does it turn off or go into sleep mode if you unplug it or turn off the ignition. This will indicate if it is being charged whilst in use.

If it is then I would suggest that you get a genuine Tomtom cig charger unit. It has been found, and @yamfazman is the expert in this, that some of the so called more powerful chargers are not as effective as they appear to be. Some have been found to still put the unit into power save mode and fail to keep the unit working on longer journeys

By the way just to be clear I am a customer like you not an employee of Tomtom.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,211 Superusers
    edited June 10
    Hi
    @mikencoll

NAV4 and NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices battery charge status....
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) button... On the Menu Screen top right is a battery status Icon
    Charging... Displays when Connected to a Power supply
    368fa599-f465-4a45-9274-b2b29b56a6d1.jpg
    Full Charge... Displays when Connected or Not Connected Power supply
    ebebfcff-7cf3-43d5-9479-ef4b7f2a85ed.jpg
    Half Charge... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    5c45ac4c-1a65-45a0-9b3b-8b88879a94cc.jpg
    Low Battery... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    29b0c6f3-11f1-4d8f-9543-eef314472a31.jpg
    One of the worst things you can do to a Lithium battery is to run it flat so at a certain percentage of discharge (Unspecified)... The device will go into 'Power Saving Mode' the screen will dull, and the device will eventually turn itself off (Not Sleep)

There is a Battery Status display available on the devices Status Screen
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound Continue to hold the on/off button until the Black & White Status screen is shown.....
    c3623f43-813f-4ddf-9e35-af42824c5331.jpg
    If you are worrying about the device charging, you might consider one of these gadgets
    63a11bd6-9bcb-49ec-b71b-9223d7c334dd.jpgOr

b23e2fef-ffbf-4127-80b0-646533d6f987.jpg
    Simply plug the device into the USB socket and plug your lead into the USB Doctor, the device will display the Voltage and Power being used by your various USB devices
    I have one of each type they're only peanuts to buy, search Amazon/eBay for USB Doctor

ATB YFM