Request for adding a smaller map due to a SDCard failure.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,810 Superusers
    edited March 27
    Hi
    @dean2matthews

Yes, now the Map size of the NAV4 Devices has exceeded the Internal Memory size
    The Nav4 devices have 8GB of onboard memory... the devices operating system uses some of the 8GB onboard memory + the operating system need a further minimum of 400KB free working space ( The more working space the better the performance of the device)
    The Latest Europe Map is near as dammit 9GB, you cant put a quart into a pint pot

The No Maps Found + Trying to Format a Memory card is a very real Catch22 situation :/

Wait until tomorrow maybe @VikramK or @lampard the site Moderators will be able to allocate a small map to your account in order to give you access to the Micro SDHC Card Formatting menu

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

I've assigned the single UK map on your device, please connect and download the map. Once you do this, Soft reset the device and when the map screen shows, insert the SD card and format the SD card on the device when prompt shows.

Just connect the device to the computer after this and download the EU map on SD card when recognized.

Cheers, lampard
    Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.
    Most important of all, have fun and be kind to one another!

• MarkSpannerMarkSpanner Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    lampard wrote: »
    Hi @MarkSpanner

I've assigned the single UK map on your device, please connect and download the map. Once you do this, Soft reset the device and when the map screen shows, insert the SD card and format the SD card on the device when prompt shows.

Just connect the device to the computer after this and download the EU map on SD card when recognized.

Cheers, lampard

@lampard Thank you for your help - it worked, and now have the SD card formatted + the Europe map installed on it.

Just one more thing though, I did a recovery on the GO prior to this to try and resolve the issue (power off > power on holding button until list > thre taps of the power button). The GO now says its is on version 17.300.0018.311 of the application dated 12/10/2017. When the GO is connected to MDC it doesn't say there is an application update, although there is. 🤨
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,020 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @MarkSpanner

This seems a bit odd but I've now push the latest application on your device. To apply these changes, please make a soft reset on your device and quit MyDrive Connect. Then click the MyDrive Connect icon in the Windows notification area or Apple menu bar> Settings>Downloads>Click 'Empty Download Folder' (If it's grayed out, just click on Save settings). Let me know how it goes!

Cheers, lampard
    Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.
    Most important of all, have fun and be kind to one another!

• MarkSpannerMarkSpanner Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    lampard wrote: »
    Hi @MarkSpanner

This seems a bit odd but I've now push the latest application on your device. To apply these changes, please make a soft reset on your device and quit MyDrive Connect. Then click the MyDrive Connect icon in the Windows notification area or Apple menu bar> Settings>Downloads>Click 'Empty Download Folder' (If it's grayed out, just click on Save settings). Let me know how it goes!

Cheers, lampard

Hi @lampard

That worked a charm and I'm now running the latest software. :)

Thanks again for all of you help with both problems, really appreciated.
    :3
  • fstrangefstrange Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi.
    I'm really frustrated. I have exactly the same problem on Tomtom Go 5000 after upgrade yesterday. Memory card no longer recognized = not enough room to install map. All my maps are too large to fit on internal memory.
    Tried to format memory card (FAT32) on PC, but Tomtom device doesn't recognize it. Three seconds after reboot it halts with message "No data available".
    I'm stuck and not able to use my device at all. So stupid, Tomtom!
    /Fredrik
    edited April 11
    Hi
    @fstrange

Your Go 5000 has 8GB of onboard memory... the devices operating system uses some of the 8GB onboard memory + the operating system need a further minimum of 400KB free working space ( The more working space the better the performance of the device)
    The Latest Europe Map is near as dammit 9GB, you cant put a quart into a pint pot

If your GO 5000 still has the original Map installed on the onboard memory, maybe tomorrow @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your Account, you could then delete the original Map from the on-board memory and replace it with the smaller Map... You can then Install the Full Europe Map onto a Branded Class 10 16GB or (32GB...Max size) Micro SDHC Card

This is a an unfortunate but real Catch22 situation
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

ATB YFM

I have activated a smaller map of UK and ROI on your account.

Try installing this first on the internal memory on the device.

Then use a memory card (16GB) format it on the device, then connect it to the computer to install the full Europe map(MyDrive Connect).

Regards
    Vikram :)
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • johnbob56johnbob56 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Hi Vikram,
    Thank you for your help, I haven't got a card slot on my device - it is a Tom Tom XXL, but I will try downloading the Europe maps and let you know how I get on.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,819 Superuser
  • clarinetclarinet Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Hi all,

Exactly in the same situation here. GO 5000, no map, all Europe maps available are larger than internal memory. May I also get some small map activated on my account to get out of this loop? Thank you.
    Hi
    @clarinet

Yes the v1030 Full Europe Map size is now 9.13GB
    On Monday maybe the Forum Moderators @VikramK or @lampard will allocate a smaller Map to your Account

ATB YFM

Hi I received an email to say that new maps are available to download, but when I try to download them I get a message to say that there is insufficient memory available on my device (TomTom Go). I've tried deleting all unwanted files but there is still not enough room. How do I access the updates?
    edited June 9
    Hi
    @Sueszan

Do you know which Tomtom GO model you own ???
    There are Many versions of the GO

Enter the 1st 2 Characters of the Serial Numbers
    Here... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_GB
    Find the model of your navigation device and what software it uses....

ATB YFM

From memory, we ended up removing the memory card and that allowed us to install a smaller map to the installed memory. Can't remember what map, basically the smallest one available (I have free World maps so can choose any). I didn't even want this map, but the Europe one was too big for internal memory so just installed the smallest size map they had.

Once that was done it basically unlocked the options again and everything went back to normal. So I could then put the memory card back in and install my additional maps to the memory card.

Worked for me!
  • SueszanSueszan Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Hi it's a 5000 or 5100 (first two letters of serial number are QR). Thanks
  • Tony70Tony70 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    edited July 15
    I saw a previous discussion and the solution to my problem is to install a smaller map into my device internal memory. Can you please make available on my profile a small map so that I can fix my problem and install the new Europe Map version? many thanks for your support.
    edited June 9
    Hi
    @Sueszan

The Full Europe Map size is now 9.13GB exceeding the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    For the larger Maps like the Full Europe map you need to install a Micro SDHC memory card
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card...The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)

vft63esuy9vo.jpg
    Maybe Monday @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your Account
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

ATB YFM

Yes, this did answer my question. Thank you
    Hi @Sueszan

Look here tomorrow to see if one of the mods mentioned by Yamfazman say that have added a small map for you. If they have you should then see it in MDC under My Maps.

Doug
    Hi @Tony70

Look here to see if @VikramK adds a map for you tomorrow.

Doug
    edited June 9
    Hi
    @Sueszan

You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)
    There's no need to ask for a Small Map...
    I used the @ + 'User name' for the Moderators names, they will automatically receive an email linking to the post/thread

ATB YFM

I hope you read the moderators @VikramK or @lampard I can assign a smaller area, I only use the browser in Spain and Portugal. I have seen a manual on the web that shows the possibility but I only appear to select europe.

Greetings and thank you.
    3bbyqodzztdu.png
  • clarinetclarinet Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Thank you, @BigRedtt.

Unfortunately, I cannot currently choose a small map. I have free lifetime Europe maps; there are variants available (they differ in 3D buldings coverage), but none of them fits to the GO 5000 memory.

My only hope is that moderators will assign an extra small map to my account as mentioned above so that I can install something on the device itself.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online111

caluroso
caluroso
cipher
cipher
Invisibly
Invisibly
JHFE
JHFE
Momi18
Momi18