Bluetooth or phone speaker while using GO Mobile App - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Bluetooth or phone speaker while using GO Mobile App

2»

Comments

• MickMick2017MickMick2017 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've just bought this app and am amazed that it won't work through the car speakers. That is the only safe way to operate - that's what Google Maps does, so you can keep your eyes on the road and be safe. The only way I could get it to work audibly was to run Google maps at the same time, and them had TT and GM making conflicting announcements at the same time! What's the point of an app you have to keep watching all the time, distracting from driving? Crazy. Refund please.
  • RolandHRolandH Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    We are one year later... Still not fixed!!!!???
  • Nch1Nch1 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    This is a major flaw in the app. If you want to listen to the radio in your car, then you can't have voice instructions. A satnav comprises two main communication pathways for delivering directions to the driver; audio and visual. Of these, whilst driving a car, audio is the most important. It would be less of an issue if TomTom had designed a satnav with no visual information. Outright dangerous. Google, Waze, Route 66 all get this right; no matter what you are listening to in your car, or even if the car stereo is off or the volume right down, audio will intelligently and seamlessly route through the iPhone speaker or Bluetooth hands free connection to ensure you ALWAYS get audio instructions. There are countless posts over the years to TomTom about this and nothing has been done about it. This suggests they simply don't have the skill set in house to fix this. If you want a downright dangerous satnav that will take your eyes off the road, get TomTom... Otherwise get any of the above (to name only a few).
  • WozzackWozzack Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    My subscription has now ended and I have no intention of renewing while this major dangerous fault exists.
  • Gary BGary B Posts: 19 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Same here i have just cancelled my Subscription and gone back to Here Now Maps as they support HFP
  • ThijshelmersThijshelmers Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Wozzack wrote:
    My subscription has now ended and I have no intention of renewing while this major dangerous fault exists.

I want to take a subscribtion, but found out that there is no possibility to always use the iPhone speaker, no matter that you use bluetoith connection and or fm radio or bkuetooth streaming. I'm not getting it untill the problem is fixed.
  • Borg59Borg59 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi To all you iPhone users, I am an Android user of this app and we have never had this problem as within Android Bluetooth settings we can stipulate where we want the sound to go but all that aside I can tell that today I have had an update on my Go Mobile app for Android with a new feature, and that is to choose my audio Chanel, the choices are;
    Music channel (default)
    Voice Call channel
    System channel
    Notification channel
    Alarm channel
    Ring channel

Lets hope this is added to the iPhone app as yet it is not yet released there as I have checked with an iPhone user.
    This update on Android was released today 14/8/17 in the UK

Good luck you iPhone users
  • Ajlee7Ajlee7 Posts: 12 [Outstanding Explorer]
    It works! But for me audit plays both through Bluetooth and device speaker at the same time on Android Samsung S5 Marshmallow using ring channel. Not a big deal will experiment with other channel settings.
  • JanV_dkJanV_dk Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    One year has gone and still nothing is done?
    Please get in the game Tom Tom
  • DavoDavoDavoDavo Posts: 30 [Master Traveler]
    I just found out why my TTGO suddenly stopped giving me spoken guidance.
    The app would work fine when not in my car, so I sat in my car without anything turned on and it was fine, but as soon as I started my engine the app went dumb again.
    It turns out that when Bluetooth is enabled on my iPhone 7 and paired with the car's Holden MyLink system it now sends all audio to the MyLink (it never used to do that). Seeing as I normally have the car volume set to 0 (I don't listen to the radio) that's why I couldn't hear TTGO!

That situation is a big PITA because I have my phone Bluetooth turned on in case anyone phones me, then I can answer the phone while driving. The way the car's system is I have to leave radio volume set to 0 (local stations round here are no good and I can't turn the b.... radio off!) and if I want to use TTGO I need to select Bluetooth on the car system and then turn the radio volume up so that I can hear the app on the car speakers. I don't know yet what happens if I get a phone call while TTGO is running.

The big question is..., why did it suddenly start doing that - it used to work fine with audio coming out of the phone's speaker and suddenly went bananas while I was driving a few weeks back. I haven't changed any settings on either the phone or the car.
    I think there may have been an update for the TTGO app that has screwed things up?

How can I tell TTGO to permanently ignore Bluetooth speech output and only use the phone speakers?

I've been a long time TomTom user and I am appalled that the TTGO app has this bug and nothing seems to have been done to fix it!
    Hello, Support... Is anyone working on this??
  • Gabriel30Gabriel30 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm with TomTom iPhone app really few years. Is the best nav for iPhone in my eyes, well, was!
    New app is unusable. Most common problem for me is that there are no option to switch between bluetooth and iPhone speaker. I really not understand why that option disappear? In old TomTom app was this option available. Where problem is mr.developers?
    Btw. TomTom, you degraded amazing navigation to the sh..t app.a78907be-47e1-461a-84ca-49cc84de2357.jpg
  • HereIsMartinHereIsMartin Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I use Navigon app connected via bluetooth to my car and when I listen to the radio the app pause the radio to read the announcements (using Voice Call channel?). This is the main reason why I have not switched to TomTom yet. When will this option be released to ios version of TomTom Go Mobile?
    Guess never the app is not improved a bit since it got out.
    Further more the new app is a piece of crap to a lot of addresses,
    addresses that could be foud on the old app, addresses where family and friends lived for years.
    Any news about getting audio instructions via Bluetooth hands free connection? It works with a lot of other apps but not with TomTom.

It only works when you set your car device on input BLuetooth, which means you can't listen to your radio or other inputs. I tried this option but the voice instructions was really low even when I had everything in the app and phone set to 100.
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 150 [Revered Navigator]
    @HereIsMartin

Whilst waiting for the app to be improved, what I did was to buy a separate Bluetooth speaker (Anker SoundCore mini with 15-Hour Playtime) which conveniently due to its size/shape sits neatly inside a cupholder to the rear of my drivers seat.

I switch on the speaker first to pair with the phone before switching on the car ignition. This allows me to hear the instructions from the Go Mobile and other Apps I use through the Anker speaker and the Radio / CD / USB inputs via the car speakers.

Downside I guess is that it does not reduce the car volume, but I have been surprised that the Anker speaker instructions are very clear; maybe because it is just behind my drivers seat. This setup works for me. :grinning:
    Based in UK - Tomtom Go 6200 (random ALG displayed )
    As Jack Nicholson would say: Is this as good as it gets??
    @Lost Soul connecting the phone to a separate bluetooth speaker would mean that I cannot use the already built in bluetooth functionality in my car to receive calls via the built in headset, access to contacts etc, so for me an external speaker is not an option.
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 150 [Revered Navigator]
    @HereIsMartin

I just went out to the car to double check I was not misleading you. :grinning:

My phone connected first to the external speaker then to the car by Bluetooth as I switched on the ignition.

With an incoming phone call, I hit the "phone symbol on the steering wheel" to accept the call and it played through the car speakers.

But if I accept the call on "my phone" it then played through the external speaker.

I can also make calls from the car using my phone contact book etc by first selecting the phone symbol on the steering wheel and the Sat Nav (Go App) instructions are still played through the external speaker.

I had assumed that this would be the case with most car setups, but obviously that is not the case with yours. Shame; as it proved a relatively good solution for me.
    Based in UK - Tomtom Go 6200 (random ALG displayed )
    As Jack Nicholson would say: Is this as good as it gets??
  • Gabriel30Gabriel30 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Good solution guys! Keep going so TomTom will don't need to do any development. Android users saying app working so why on iPhone not???
    Sygic screenshot below. Unfortunately I must using it as TomTom is not safe app anymore.
    6f17be46-a457-4dcd-a470-f6cd62ad0c32.jpg
  • filbertfilbert Posts: 16 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I see this has been going for a while - reading the thread prompted me to look at Go on my Android phone and I found, buried at the bottom of the 'Voices' menu the option to choose Audio output channel. Very strange place to hide it, especially at the bottom. Anyway, there are 6 options there, ranging from 'music channel (default)' to 'ring channel'.
    I'll have a play tomorrow but 'voice call channel' looks favourite.
  • RedmikebRedmikeb Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've been following this problem for years now. I just installed the new iOS app (2.0) and still no way to route voice to the phone speaker when connected to bluetooth. Very disappointing as I still prefer TomTom for navigation, and have been unable to use it for the last few years. Competitors have no problem implementing this.
  • EdSatEdSat Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Adding my vote to have this sorted on iPhones out too. Over the years I have tried all other IOS Satnav solutions, but none of them are as good as TomTom Go IOS for clear routing, clear maps and traffic...

BUT... if they could just add one or both of these options to the App:

1) Option to play all TomTom Notifications though the Phone Speaker even if bluetooth is connected.
    2) Option for to use Bluetooth via HFP so TomTom Notifications come through like a phone call

I'd be happy with either, as currently I:

- Connect my phone to my car via the bluetooth media system and then listen to music or whatever through the bluetooth stream like it or not - if I switch to the car's FM or DAB I lose the TomTom notifications sounds.

or

- Just turn off the phone's bluetooth and listen to the car radio (or nothing) and have TomTom Notifications through the iPhone Speaker.

As other's have pointed out, Waze, Google Maps and many others have the options listed above but they are just not as good in other areas as the TomTom.

So for years now I have been starting each journey with TomTom Go IOS with a one off decision - bluetooth music or car radio, then turning bluetooth on or off on the iPhone... I am then stuck with the choice for the whole journey. It is so annoying, PLEASE TomTom, add my suggested sound output option(s) to your otherwise brilliant App.