Start 25 Ghost scrolling and Ghost inputs- Touch screen issues

Hi guys

I have a 2 year old Start 25 , it’s updated with the very latest updates and it is covered by a Tomtom 4 year warranty
Recently it has started Ghost scrolling and Ghost inputting as I am driving along , basically I input the address I need to go to and start , after a few mins the screen changes and starts to self scroll through menus on its own , self choosing some options and going to the next menu screen. If I choose the back button on screen , it goes back to the journey after a few miles it repeats the above and starts self scrolling through menus

I am wondering if a factory reset would help or if it’s a problem with the touch screen , before I request a return to Tomtom for replacement or repair

Thanks fir any help ( I think I know the answer will be return it 😀)

Best Answers

Answers

• LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,322 Superuser
    Hi @coopermanyorkshire

You can try this:
    If you have a screen protector remove it. There may be dirt between the frame and the screen. Pass the corner of a cardboard card to remove dust.

Do a Soft Reset of your device (with full battery):
    - Press and hold the On/Off button until you hear the drum sounds, release the button. This can take 30 seconds or more. The device's restart will take longer with frozen screens, it's normal.

I am not convinced that a factory reset really helps but to try.

You can also reinstall the NavCore, the internal software of your device, with the Recovery Mode. A customer service advice would be preferable before doing this procedure which isn't always easy to perform.
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1898

After that there is only TomTom customer service as your device is still under warranty.

Regards.
  • coopermanyorkshirecoopermanyorkshire Posts: 26 [Master Explorer]
    There is no screen protector on the Satnav

I have already tried the soft reset and waiting for the drum roll , did nowt ( didn’t mention that in the op )

And I have just done a factory reset , I chose the option to keep my personal addresses and settings , I will see tonight if any different , or will a full reset be better ?

If not I will try the info in the link you provided , thanks for the help 👍
    @coopermanyorkshire

The "Factory Reset" erase customization of settings and personal data (Not the map and the NavCore). If you do it save before your favorites on the PC. For a software problem that works alone I don't know if it will help you.
    The "Soft Reset" forces a complete restart of the device's NavCore and empties its physical memory (RAM). It's like a "Restart" on a PC. This often solves small worries.

Warning! If the "Recovery Mode" fails, you can have a device without NavCore and therefore totally unusable. Contact customer support before would be more careful.

Your Start 25 has 8 or 4GB of internal memory?
    If it's a 4GB, the lack of free space in the device causes slowdowns and various problems. The addition of a microSD class 10 of 16GB (max 32GB) solves this problem.
    The support guys tell me (based upon my problem ) that I need to reinstall the Nav Core
    I have just done that , so see what it’s like tonight on my run from Yorkshire to Bridgwater
    I am not convinced it will fix it , it seems to be a problem with a faulty touch screen

Let’s see

Cheers

Steve
    I have had a good clean with glass polish , cotton buds

It’s always the same ghost strokes , going through the same sub menu which makes me think it’s a touch screen error
    I set it up in the house to do the trip to Bridgwater about an hour ago , although it’s static and not moving anywhere , it’s not ghosting through menus whilst it’s charging and waiting for me to set off

Fingers crossed 🤞
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,617 Superuser
    Hi @coopermanyorkshire

Did you try very carefully around the rim of the screen to see if there is any dirt that has got between the rim and the screen. under the rim. You need something very thin.

Doug
  • xwintechxwintech Posts: 75 [Supreme Navigator]
    Hi, @coopermanyorkshire !
    It maybe an issue with the touch screen. If you have ever dropped it, then maybe the flex connector of the touch screen is jigling inside, try to disassemble your TomTom and reconnect the flex connector. Let me know if it works.
    If the answer helped you, like it so that people know that it's helpful.

xwintech
    But sometimes this can be a software glitch, so put it into recovery mode(hold power button until device shuts down, now hold it until you see some text on the screen, now fastly click Power button 3 times and you will see a slinning gear), connect the device to MyDrive Connect and it will automatically start recovery process. Firstly try this method until the one I mentioned in my previous post. Hope this helps.

xwintech
    I have tried the software problem , as I have a four year insurance with Tomtom , I am going to let them take it to pieces , they just seem to be dragging their heels to get me sorted with a return to them for repair , replies to emails are taking ages , I can’t find a phone number to ring them up on
    Hi @coopermanyorkshire

I presume that your country of residence is UK.

Tomtom Customer Service for United Kingdom
    02079 490 134 (or 132)
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Regards.
    After much prompting Tomtom sent me the return label for Ups , I have packed it up and taken the Tomtom into my local Ups collection shop last Thursday , it has arrived in Romania yesterday ( Monday ) , so I am awaiting their inspection and report on my item

Fingers crossed it’s either fixed or replaced in the next few days and then returned to me
    Ok,quick turn around

Sent the item last Thursday and my package arrived back 7 days later,Yesterday on Thursday
    My Tomtom was checked out and the fault found but could not be fixed so a new replacement has been sent

Only problem now is trying to update it to the latest roads and speed cameras and I just keep getting

“ The Servers are busy “
    I took it with me last night on a run from Yorkshire to WEYBRIDGE , it worked perfectly

Just need to get it to fully update

Cheers

Steve
    Hi @coopermanyorkshire

Glad you received a new device. :)

At the moment there are known problems with Tomtom servers and MyDrive Connect. :disappointed:

You can try this:

In first, with your device Not connected to the PC:
    1/ In the MyDrive Connect (MDC) window at the top, click on the "Cogwheel" (Settings) / "Downloads" tab / click on "Empty download folder" (if the button is grayed out the folder is already empty) / click on "Save settings" / close the window "Settings".
    2/ Still in MDC window at the top, to the left of the "Cogwheel" (Settings), click on "Log out".
    3/ close the MDC window, right click on the MDC icon in the taskbar next to the clock, choose "Quit"
    4/ Open Windows "Task Management" and check if there is still a MDC process to kill it.
    ==> In your taskbar / Right-click in any open place / Task Management / "Processes" tab / if you find "TomTom MyDrive Connect.exe * 32" ==> Right-click / "End Process"
    4/ Open MDC again and "Log in", enter your email and password.
    5/ Try again to download an update.

If it doesn't work, with your device Not connected to the PC:
    1/ Uninstall MDC, accept the removal of downloads in the popup window.
    2/ "Restart" your PC (Not Shut down or Sleep)
    3/ Download and install the last version MDC, take it here, at the bottom, the green button "Download for ... ":
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mydrive-connect/
    4/ Try again to download an update.

I hope that one of the two proposals will work for you.

Regards.
    Thanks , I will those a go this weekend

Thanks
    Hi

The option to delete the files was greyed out ( empty? ) so I logged out , closed the MyDrive and deleted it off my computer , then restarted my laptop
    I then reinstalled the MyDrive onto my laptop and bingo , it’s now downloading all the GPS satellite location updates and the speed camera updates and European road map updates , quite a lot to up date , but it’s trundling through it
    This Sat Nav will last me a few more months , but my next one will be one with built in Wi-fi for updates and it’s own SIM card for traffic updates like a Tomtom Go premium

Many thanks your help

Steve
    I am glad that everything was solved! Have a good time with your TomTom device @coopermanyorkshire ! :)

xwintech
    Took a week to get there and back to me replaced , a shame their email replies took days to send
    I made a comment about this ,praises them for the speed in returning it to me whilst mentioning the replies to emails were very sloooooow.They have quickly replied to that email to inform me they have added an couple of extra months of subscription to Speed cameras

So everything is hunky dory , thanks for the replies and interest
    I think the insurance at £11 was the best money spent as they have replaced two Tomtoms in the last 3 years FOC