MyDrive Connect Slowness — TomTom Community

MyDrive Connect Slowness

4x4 Tim4x4 Tim Posts: 22 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in MyDrive Connect
Installed lastest MyDrive version at 11:50am; Just unplugged my GO 500 Series a minute ago, 4:55pm. Just over 5 hours to get a map... lmao.

During this time the software failed to connect to TomTom servers three times. Two were logged, one wasn't. The software did not show any warning or error until I closed the app, and then it was just a sentence that said MyDevice Connect was having difficulty reaching the map servers.

2017-10-25 14:55:57.645|50331698|Error|DownloadFileCache::SendRequests|url: http://download.tomtom.com/nav3/995/nav4/USA_Canada_and_Mexico_4.ttpkg, error: Call timed out
2017-10-25 14:55:57.645|50331698|Error|DownloadFileCache::SendRequests|url: http://download.tomtom.com/nav3/995/nav4/USA_Canada_and_Mexico_5.ttpkg, error: Call timed out

Also, during this time the MyConnect software made bursty downloads using 25% of my network capacity in a 50% duty cycle, then it would stop "downloading" at 2.5MB/s, and then dribble data at 6kB/s to 17kB/s. 95% of the time was spent at the slower data rates.

Seems the software can, it they wanted to, download all the data from their servers fast enough, but don't because they can't stuff the data into the device any faster than old style serial ports of 1980.

Once I noticed the first hang, I called tech support: they wanted me to do a full reinstall. I had just installed a fresh copy. Clearly they have no clue.

Look at network logs, I was able to prevent additional "hangs" by quitting the app every time the fast download speeds stopped, and restarting. It shortened the forecasted 1.5 hour download time to about 20 minutes (the first hand when their servers didn't respond took two hours for me to notice - no error messages were showing, just no progress seen). Once the downloads were complete it took another 20 minutes to finish sending the new maps to the device.

The laughable part is my subdivision that has been here for two years and shows up on Google and Bing maps -- yet my subdivision streets don't show up on the most recent TomTom map. So how often does TomTom actually buy new maps to give to us Lifetime Map owners?

So it was all a waste of my time.

Never again, TomTom. You've suckered me once too often.

Comments

• DocwaqarDocwaqar Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    TomTom, you know you are on your last legs as Google maps already provides faster, more reliable, more up-to-date maps directly on our devices! But to make things worse for yourselves, you have such a poor software (MyDrive Connect) that the lifetime updates you promised me when I bought my device seems deliberately slowed. (On a 100Mbps Fiber optic connection, taking nearly a day to download a small map update!)
    Keep up this service, and you are going bankrupt soon. I now just buy a local data SIM and use google maps, even give me speed camera warnings!
    Put yourselves in the customers shoes. Why would I PAY for a device/service when it causes additional inconvenience compared to a free service widely available with no technical problems??!!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,707
    Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @Docwaqar
    Docwaqar wrote: »
    (Snip) But to make things worse for yourselves, you have such a poor software (MyDrive Connect) that the lifetime updates you promised me when I bought my device seems deliberately slowed. (On a 100Mbps Fiber optic connection, taking nearly a day to download a small map update!) (Snip)
    I read your post... Its not my experience of MyDrive Connect, so out of interest, I deleted the full Europe Map from my GO 6200 and then reinstalled the Map

I have Virgin Media Broadband Fibre Optic 110Mb/s connection....

To check the Wi-Fi Connection Speed, Signal Strength
    On the NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens...
    My GO 6200 shows Wi-Fi connection... 72Mb/s
    I chose the 110Mb/s hard-wired connection

I Installed the 8.9GB Full Europe Map over USB with MDC running in the background
    The Map installed and device ready to use... 20 Minutes 15 seconds (Stopwatch)

ATB YFM