New TomTom GO Navigation App (iOS) - Page 5 — TomTom Community

New TomTom GO Navigation App (iOS)

Comments

• ianj7777ianj7777 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks Doug, I did figure that out eventually late last night, then this morning was searching for London Heathrow, could't work out why it wouldn't come up, then realised there are 3 maps just for UK! Guess they are really detailed now, quick download over Wifi though to be fair.

Big test coming as I'm in the US from Thursday, see how it performs compared to the old version.
  • Austindj69Austindj69 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I have just got the update to Mobile Go app on IOS and trying to find how I turn the voice off on the CarPlay screen. Also for future updates can we have it so only the alerts for traffic and warnings and no other voice.
  • ThatbeetleThatbeetle Posts: 23 [Master Explorer]
    Just updated, not tried in the car as yet but wtf? Why is there about a million maps to download now, can't there just be a block for say western europe?
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 4,883 Community Manager
    edited June 4
    loekf wrote: »
    They all return error 101006 if I'm not mistaken.
    Can you try quitting the app, re-opening it and try downloading the map again?

• PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 320 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited June 4
    Hi @DougLap and @Palferman and everyone else. Thanks for the information about GO v2.0.

I’m not home for a while so I’m loathe to do any updating (and downloading all of the new maps) until I’m back home and able to back out to the previous version if I don’t like it.
    DougLap wrote: »
    One new thing in the App is Mapcodes Work. In the UK if you type DH.FX in search you are taken to the middle gate at Buckingham palace.
    You can paste Mapcodes in v1.9.x, do you mean that Mapcodes use has improved in v2.0?

BTW, iOS Mapcodes Finder app had an update today - is this a coincidence? It probably is. :)

Regards,

• samsterdam78samsterdam78 Posts: 2 [Novice Seeker]
    I really don't understand why the traffic bar has not been implemented in CarPlay, the traffic bar is the reason for me to chose TomTom over Google or Waze. To have a quick but detailed overview of the traffic situation ahead of me: where to expect traffic delays, speed camera's, how many more KM s for the next gas station, where are constructions works, all to plan my journey ahead. See how traffic jams ahead of me developing: are they increasing or dissolving, should I be looking at alternative routes.

Not having this overview anymore is a real disappointment.

Since the traffic bar is still available if you use the app without carplay, can you turn off Carplay for TomTom (having waited for Carplay for such a long time I never ever thought I would ask that question within 24 hours of release)
    Hi @loekf
    Better maps (= more memory, from what I've seen 2x more space if you download everything).

BTW, I still can't download maps for e.g. Spain and Finland (error 10106)
    Thanks for that!

I think that v1.9.x whole of Europe map was around 8.6 Gb. What size is it now?

Why have the maps increased in size?

Years ago TomTom used to always compress maps and straighten the curves a little to reduce map size but not straighten curves enough to be noticeable.

3D buildings are a distraction on a car SatNav. Any chance that there are now maps without 3D buildings, this would reduce map size.

Regards,
    edited June 4
    Ok, just been and tried this on Carplay, it's truly awful. How has this actually been beta tested?

This is all on a 2016 Mazda MX5 Sport Nav, latest software installed for that car OS.

First: You can't enter an address from carplay, you have to use the phone to. Carplay gives you basic options like "drive home" "drive to work" etc.
    Second: The resolution is disgusting. Compared to other apps like Apple Maps and Google it looks terrible, pixelated and old.
    Third: no traffic bar.
    Fourth: no route options. Have to use the phone again if i want to do anything.
    Fifth: Arrow size, it's enormous!!!!
    Sixth: Voice volume, way too loud. You have to turn it down to 30-40% to get a normal level.
    Seven: Menus, there isn't any. Where is the POI search for instance?
    Eight: Gps, why is it constantly swinging around? No other apps do that?
    Maps: As I mentioned above why did i have to download so many? Why no option to just download UK and get the lot? France has 5 maps for gods sake, nearly 3gb!!!!

That's just a few things and i haven't even left the car park yet. Seriously, this couldn't be worse if you tried. Subscription cancelled, customer lost.

Tip for anyone. Sign up for the 6 month subscription (this is through Apple now) and you get a free month. That means you don't get charged until July, if you then cancel you get a month free to try it.
    That's what i will be doing but i doubt it will last beyond that.
  • nlmarvinnlmarvin Posts: 8 [Master Traveler]
    Thatbeetle wrote: »
    Ok, just been and tried this on Carplay, it's truly awful. How has this actually been beta tested?

This is all on a 2016 Mazda MX5 Sport Nav, latest software installed for that car OS.

First: You can't enter an address from carplay, you have to use the phone to. Carplay gives you basic options like "drive home" "drive to work" etc.
    Second: The resolution is disgusting. Compared to other apps like Apple Maps and Google it looks terrible, pixelated and old.
    Third: no traffic bar.
    Fourth: no route options. Have to use the phone again if i want to do anything.
    Fifth: Arrow size, it's enormous!!!!
    Sixth: Voice volume, way too loud. You have to turn it down to 30-40% to get a normal level.
    Seven: Menus, there isn't any. Where is the POI search for instance?
    Eight: Gps, why is it constantly swinging around? No other apps do that?
    Maps: As I mentioned above why did i have to download so many? Why no option to just download UK and get the lot? France has 5 maps for gods sake, nearly 3gb!!!!

That's just a few things and i haven't even left the car park yet. Seriously, this couldn't be worse if you tried. Subscription cancelled, customer lost.

Tip for anyone. Sign up for the 6 month subscription (this is through Apple now) and you get a free month. That means you don't get charged until July, if you then cancel you get a month free to try it.
    That's what i will be doing but i doubt it will last beyond that.

I'm not able to test due to not having Carplay in my car, but with all these comments from you and other users it feels like it is still in beta...

For people like me, who have been waiting for Mydrive for more than three years, I see it gloomy. I suspect that TomTom will have to work hard in the near future to set up a competitive Carplay navigation app and that Mydrive functionality will therefore not be added yet.

Yesterday I was only able to drive through my hometown with the app. With that, I haven't been able to discover anything exciting for people who don't use Carplay. Basically it still feels like the same app as before, but I had to download a lot more maps (which also didn't go very smoothly).
    nlmarvin wrote: »

I'm not able to test due to not having Carplay in my car, but with all these comments from you and other users it feels like it is still in beta...

For people like me, who have been waiting for Mydrive for more than three years, I see it gloomy. I suspect that TomTom will have to work hard in the near future to set up a competitive Carplay navigation app and that Mydrive functionality will therefore not be added yet.

Yesterday I was only able to drive through my hometown with the app. With that, I haven't been able to discover anything exciting for people who don't use Carplay. Basically it still feels like the same app as before, but I had to download a lot more maps (which also didn't go very smoothly).

Don't bother getting Carplay if this would be your reason to. Just get a huge phone and a decent holder and go that way instead.

• loekfloekf Posts: 28 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Sent this to an ex-colleague @ TT this morning. Added here some more.

- Carplay: only shows the remaining travel time. It gives no indication whether there’s a delay. Guess it has to do with Apple’s guidelines, but at least show the remaining time in orange or red if there’s a delay. Sygnic does this.

- Carplay: get the impression the FOV (what’s shown on the display) is not optimal. I think the z-axsis (with 3D mode on) is too low
    and what’s shown is too much cropped on the right. Would also zoom out a little bit by default.

- Carplay: My Places. Why is there a scroll bar, and a button on top where I have to click to get each time 5 more Places. Now I have to click through a list, not handy if you’re driving.

- Carplay: no way to enter/search for a destination via the car’s display. Sygnic can do this.

- Carplay: no mute for voice guidance, only on phone's UI.

- Carplay: current speed is not shown. Sygnic does this (also Flitsmeister), only whether you’re too fast.

- Carplay: exits/changing lanes on highways/freeways is pretty bad. I see a blurred circle with the road you’re not supposed to take (?). Sygnic does a better job.

- Carplay: not sure why I have a promise I’m not driving when I want to keep the iPhone display unlocked to more info on traffic jams, current speed etc. Flitsmeister
    just allows this (as with Sygnic)

- Carplay: would be nice if the Route Bar can be added to the Carplay display. Now you’re driving in the “dark” (no info on traffic, you only see a traffic jam on the display
    when you’re driving into it).

- Carplay: the "car" arrow is flickering on the car's display

- General: still no import of routes from My Drive.

- General: option to download all sub-maps of a country with multiple maps (e.g. Germany) or just a complete region (e.g. Europe).

I really don't understand why the traffic bar has not been implemented in CarPlay, the traffic bar is the reason for me to chose TomTom over Google or Waze. To have a quick but detailed overview of the traffic situation ahead of me: where to expect traffic delays, speed camera's, how many more KM s for the next gas station, where are constructions works, all to plan my journey ahead. See how traffic jams ahead of me developing: are they increasing or dissolving, should I be looking at alternative routes.

Not having this overview anymore is a real disappointment.

Since the traffic bar is still available if you use the app without carplay, can you turn off Carplay for TomTom (having waited for Carplay for such a long time I never ever thought I would ask that question within 24 hours of release)

I suspect Apple is restricting the kind of UI elements you put on the car's display.
    Austindj69 wrote: »
    I have just got the update to Mobile Go app on IOS and trying to find how I turn the voice off on the CarPlay screen. Also for future updates can we have it so only the alerts for traffic and warnings and no other voice.

Only via phone UI. So you promise you're not driving, and hit mute on the menu page.

TomTom has more work to do, see the list I posted.
    Jürgen wrote: »
    They all return error 101006 if I'm not mistaken.
    Can you try quitting the app, re-opening it and try downloading the map again?

That's what I did a couple of times, then last night at home it worked for some reason.

For those interested: all Western Europe maps is ~18.2 GB incl. "exotic" parts of Europe like all of Russia (incl. Siberia), Greenland and all of Turkey.
    Hi @Thatbeetle and @loekf
    Thatbeetle wrote: »
    Don't bother getting Carplay if this would be your reason to. Just get a huge phone and a decent holder and go that way instead.
    Good job that i didn’t invest in new CarPlay radios for my vehicles then!

I’ll keep on using my old iPhone 6S Plus! B)
    For those interested: all Western Europe maps is ~18.2 GB incl. "exotic" parts of Europe like all of Russia (incl. Siberia), Greenland and all of Turkey.
    OMG, full Europe map on v1.9.x is around 8.6 Gb and already had the small tracks and private roads that Garmin’s ‘Here’ maps don’t have.

Why are the new maps so much bigger?

Regards,
  • PalfermanPalferman Posts: 102 [Revered Navigator]
    You get the traffic bar up and running and it’s a no brainier for me. It looks superb it’s got all the traffic and cameras etc. Just resurrected my GO5000 to compare and the stand alone looks so dated. I would really like to run the app through CarPlay but without the traffic bar i I’m really don’t know which way to go
  • samsterdam78samsterdam78 Posts: 2 [Novice Seeker]
    Today I encountered my first traffic jam while using the new app on Carplay:

*NO info on the delay when I started the trip, I can only assume the delay had been calculated in my arrival time but it was not mentioned clearly on screen (either by displaying the trip time in red or orange or something like "+5"
    *NO advance info on where the delays would occur, basically it just tells you about the traffic jam when you drive into it
    *but even then it gives you NO info about the duration of the delay on the 3D view, when I switched to 2D view it does seem to mention it in minutes, but seems awkward that you need to switch views to get basic info like this.

Easy solution for all of this? Bring back the traffic bar! And if Apple does not allow the traffic bar to be included in CarPlay for some UI reason, just be honest about this and explain this or take advantage of the 2nd screen option of the phone itself.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 4,883 Community Manager
    edited June 5
    There've been questions regarding our route bar not being available in our app on Apple CarPlay. We have now published an FAQ about our app in Apple CarPlay which mentions the following (and more):

Apple uses CarPlay User Interface templates to ensure that all CarPlay apps have a similar look and feel, and screen elements that are familiar to the user. The TomTom Navigation app has been adapted to use these templates so that it can be made available via CarPlay.

Unfortunately, the CarPlay User Interface templates do not allow for the route bar in its current form. We are investigating ways to incorporate the information and features of the route bar in future versions of the app.
  • MogensLNMogensLN Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have updated from the old GO app, but is now locked with 75 km for the first month. How can I possibly test the new version? Not possible to change to unlimited.
  • sir_clasir_cla Posts: 38 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Due to the delay in the release of TomTom for carplay, I was able to use the main competitors for a long time:
    - Waze, I excluded him immediately. Too much publicity and untruthful traffic, unless you travel in areas that are heavily trafficked by wazers.
    - Apple Maps, takes the data from TomTom, but little alarm when recalculating routes
    - Google Maps: a fantastic app. Lane guidance, real time traffic. It does not have speed limits, but apart from that they are about to arrive, it now also has veloxes. But the most important thing is that it has the lane marker, and above all if I notice an error on the map, or even better a road closure, with the app or from the site you can indicate the closure and after a while this is active, as well as changes to the road network. Tomotom on the other hand, with MyDrive, are more times than not considering anything you signal. Very bad, right now Gmaps is much better
    sir_cla
  • vintageb3vintageb3 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Does the MyDrive iOS app work in conjunction with the new TomTom Go navigation app?

I see it mentioned in the Go app but I can’t send a new place from My Drive to the Go app. Any ideas?
    Hi @vintageb3,

I haven’t “upgraded” to v2 TomTom GO Navigation nor have I used CarPlay either.

However, from what I can gather on this forum, the MyDrive iOS app still doesn’t work with TomTom GO Navigator iOS app.

Also if you load POIs to MyDrive, they still don’t get transferred to TomTom GO Navigator iOS app.

Regards,
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,977 Superuser
    Hi @vintageb3

If you go to create a route in the MyDrive app and Tap Send Destination to my Devices then that will not be received by the App.

If you Tap the Destination on the Map in the MyDrive App and select tp Add to My Places then it is Synced to the App and so can be selected on the App as a destination.

The App will also not Sync Poi's or Routes as it did not before unlike the Android App.

Doug
  • RicoKRicoK Posts: 19 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Hi @DougLap

I am a happy TomTom user for a long time. And for a couple of years I am using the navigation app for iOS now. What I miss is exactly you described.

Do you, or someone else, know if and when TomTom is enabling this like it has been enabled with Android?
    TomTom GO Navigation App (iOS)
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,977 Superuser
    Hi @RicoK

Sorry I am a Customer like you and so have no idea.

Doug
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online138

Bembo
Bembo
Casper78vfr
Casper78vfr
e-squared
e-squared
Elchdoktor
Elchdoktor
Jerry Cougar