Update GO 600 — TomTom Community

Update GO 600

This week I wanted to update my system. The new cards are all 6.5 GB and it seemed that the SD card (2GB) was to small and needed to be replaced. I have tried several cards (8, 16 and 32) but the device doesn't recognize the new card.
I have reset the device several times and also formatted the cards.
Can someone advise me what to do?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,063 Superusers
    Hi
    @JoopvdM1

The Micro SDHC Memory card should be a Branded Class 10 16GB or Max 32GB... Formatted on the PC FAT32 and formatted on the TomTom device

The Full Europe Map size 8.9GB exceeding the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    For the larger Maps like the Full Europe map you need to install a Micro SDHC memory card
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card...The latest Full Europe Map is 8.9GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)
    maybe @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your Account
    Install the small Map to the devices on-board Memory
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,143 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @JoopvdM1

Welcome to the community!

A smaller map of BENELUX has been activated for your device.

It should be available for download when you connect the device to MyDrive Connect.

Regards
    Vikram...
  • JoopvdM1JoopvdM1 Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    Hi, thanks the download went OK. The only thing is that we are leaving for Italy tomorrow morning and unfortunately that is not on this map. Is there a possibility to download separate maps of Germany, Austria and Italy? Thanks a lot for your help.
    Regards, Joop
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,164 Superuser
    Hi @JoopvdM1

You say you have tried to add some 16gb memory cards. Are they Micro SD Class 10 cards from Sandisk, Samsung or a similar major maker as some of the lesser known makes have been known not to work in Tomtom units.

A 16gb card should easily load the current European map update.

Doug
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,400 Superuser
    edited May 17
    Hi all

@JoopvdM1

You can't create cross-border routes with multiple individual maps. You must use the EU map for that. The Benelux map has been given to you to unlock your device and allow you to format a microSD to download the EU map. Always keep this little map on the internal memory of your device. Proceed as follows:

- - - - - - - - - -
    - Use a microSD card class 10 of at least 16GB max 32GB, a recognized brand (Samsung, SanDisk, ...)
    - Format your microSD with your PC in FAT32. if your card is new or empty "Quick Format" it's enough, "Allocation unit size" by "default" and without "Volume label" (blank).

TomTom uses a proprietary formatting mode performed by your device.
    - Put the micro SD card in the TomTom device.
    - Do a Soft Reset of your device: Press and hold the Power button for about 30 seconds until you hear a drum sound.
    The formatting starts automatically after the Reset, on the screen choose the option "Map".
    - Or you can do it manually by yourself.
    ==> go to the main menu of your device (4Dots ....) / Settings / System / Format the memory card / choose the option "Map".

- - - - - - - - - -
    For the Map if you want to do simple, install the full EU map with buildings for all countries (8533 MB).
    - open the submenu of the EU map, in "My content" go down in "My Maps", click on the map picture, not on the button and choose "Install on SD Card".

- - - - - - - - - -
    If you want another EU map zone, like EU with Buildings only for Benelux, or EU without Buildings you need to cheat a little.
    - open the submenu of the EU map, in "My content" go down in "My Maps", click on the map picture, not on the button and choose "Install on Device" (internal memory), not SD Card.
    - MDC finds that it can't install the full EU map and opens a window with 3 choices. Choose the 1st "Remove some unused content".
    - A new window. In the right part choose the tab "On your memory card".
    In the left part "On your Account" click under the EU map on the choice "Select a map with limited buildings", select the zone you want, Benelux or another and click on "Continue".
    - In "On your Account" click on the EU zone to select it then on the arrow "install 1 item".
    - Now click on "Continue" then "Confirm" then "Agree and Install".
    Let's go!

- - - - - - - - - -
    I advise you to always keep the small map in the internal memory of your device. Thus Your device will always be functional and you will always have the choice of the location of the maps.

Regards.
    Hi, it seems to work but takes awfully long.

Thanks a lot!
    I can see ithe map is on the SD-card but it won't finish and keeps on going.
    WE haven't got time so leave without it.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,063 Superusers
    Hi
    @JoopvdM1

How Slow/Fast is your internet connection
    The full Europe Map is around 9GB

ATB YFM
    Hi @JoopvdM1

Due to the size of the EU map the update takes a lot of time, especially without a fast internet connection.

I use the "EU map without Buildings".
    For version 10.25 (7466 MB) with a 17.5 Mbps internet connection (I don't have fiber)
    - Total time = 1h 46 min (download 65 min + install 41 min)

If the process couldn't be finished, alas you don't have the EU map. :worried:
    But you say:
    JoopvdM1 wrote: »
    I can see ithe map is on the SD-card...

Maybe it worked and you need to activate the EU map?
    In your device ==> Main Menu (4Dots ....) / Settings / Maps / choose the EU map if it's present.

Regards.

Sorry but this doesn't work, this command keeps opening a internet page in Google.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,164 Superuser
    edited June 2
    Hi @JoopvdM1

Sorry if this seems to be going backwards but I think we need to understand more about what you can see and do on the unit Etc

Did you download the Belgium Map that was allocated to your account. If you did does it work.

Have you got a Micro SD Class 10 card fitted in the Extra memory Slot. If so what make is it. and what size.

Have you been able to load the European Map.

What command opens an Internal page in Google.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Doug
    Hi @JoopvdM1

Sorry, I don't really understand your answer.
    JoopvdM1 wrote: »
    ... this command keeps opening a internet page in Google.

In my last post I suggest you search in your GO600 device.
    In your GO600 ==> Main Menu (4Dots ....) / Settings / Maps / choose the EU map if it's present in addition Benelux map.
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/new_GO/html/en-gb/index.htm#Maps-MASTER.htm

On a computer with MyDrive Connect software, it should look like this if you have EU map on the microSD card:
    8jr18w6hxdi8.png

Regards.