Connection to PC problems — TomTom Community

Connection to PC problems

I have already posted this but possibly in the wrong category.

After much pestering from TomTom about my old XL being obsolete and making me offers to upgrade I finally purchased a GO Premium. Firstly it is a nightmare trying to get it to connect to my PC via MyDrive. I have tried on both my PCs and on my neighbour's PC, I have followed every suggestion on TomTom websites and discussion groups . Most suggestions are just repeats of what others have already said and of no help whatsoever. Secondly I now find, contrary to what I was told by TomTom that I cannot transfer my hundreds of important POIs from my old XL.
PLEASE can anyone help without repeating ALL THE OBVIOUS OLD & COPIED suggestions.
I am not a novice with computing and had my first desktop back in 1984 !!

Thanks to whoever can help me.

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,363
    Superuser
    edited June 2019 Accepted Answer
    Hi @cire1042tt

Regarding your POI files these can be loaded onto your Premium using the MyDrive Website.

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb

When you go to the website and log into your Account you have the options to Create Routes and Send or Save them to sync to your Premium and also you can add Poi and Route files to your Premium and it will backup your favourites (MyPlaces) you create on your Premium.

Here is videos to help you .

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1037877/creating-your-own-routes-with-mydrive

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034225/how-to-import-pois-gpx-files-and-favourites-in-mydrive/p1?new=1

If you need any more information do not hesitate to ask. @yamfazman has some useful information to help you get your old POI files of the old unit and load on the new one. Hopefully he will come on here and show you how.

Hope this helps.

Doug
    Superuser
    Then read my edited post telling you how too.

Do not confuse the MyDrive website and the My Drive Connect software they are totally different.

Doug

Answers

Superuser
    Hi @cire1042tt

Okay the first thing to understand is you don't need a PC to do anything with your computer except in exceptional circumstances.

So when you start up your Premium and it has connected directly to your Wifi if you keep looking at it, as you can miss the message, it will tell you briefly if there are any updates and you can Tap a Blue icon bottom right and it will take you to a list of Updates and New items available. Select and load these update one at a time in the order Operating Software, Maps, New Items , Cameras, and Mapshare last. When you have finished them do. Soft Reset ie hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds until you hear a Drumroll sound then let the button go. The unit will restart and all the files will have been tidied up.

Now if your Wifi has less than a 30mbs download speed, although you will likely get away with less, then Tomtom recommend that you now use a Computer. What you do is load the MyDrive Connect software and keep it loaded on your PC incase you need it updating it if requested if you open it.

So Turn the PC on and open the MyDrive software. When it is ready connect the Premium via the USB cable with the TT end connected directly to the unit on its back, not with it in its holder. You will now get a screenshot on the PC that says Do it the Easy Way. Now do nothing with the PC but use the Menu options on the PC to do the updates, in fact someone could be using your PC to browse the Internet if they wanted.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap Updates and New Items
    etc etc.

You are only using the PC as a Wifi source. For example if you did not have Wifi in your house for Health reasons your PC's will be directly connected to the Internet. You cannot do this with the Premium so you connect it to the PC to get the Internet signal..

Regarding any other occasions where you might need to connect to the PC these are when you have problems with it which require you to connect to the PC to sort them out. Generally if your Wifi is good enough you may never need to use a PC.

As a Tip if you Tap Menu and then scroll until you see the Settings Icon Press the Settings Icon for about 2 seconds you will see 2 arrows appear at the bottom of the Icon. Tap the Left Arrow and move the Icon until it will appear in the first group when you Tap Menu. It you missed the notice you had updates the Settings Icon will have a Red Flag on it so that tells you to Tap it and go to the Update icon.

Hope that helps

Doug
    Superuser
    Hi @cire1042tt

Regarding your POI files these can be loaded onto your Premium using the MyDrive Website.

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb

When you go to the website and log into your Account you have the options to Create Routes and Send or Save them to sync to your Premium and also you can add Poi and Route files to your Premium and it will backup your favourites (MyPlaces) you create on your Premium.

Here is videos to help you .

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1037877/creating-your-own-routes-with-mydrive

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034225/how-to-import-pois-gpx-files-and-favourites-in-mydrive/p1?new=1

If you need any more information do not hesitate to ask. @yamfazman has some useful information to help you get your old POI files of the old unit and load on the new one. Hopefully he will come on here and show you how.

Hope this helps.

Doug
  • cire1042ttcire1042tt Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Doug, I understand everything you say and I have no problems operating the new GO Premium. But I WANT to connect to MyDrive so I can plan my routes and POIs which is what MyDrive is designed for exactly as I used to with my old device and TomTomHome. I have no problems using the GO Premium directly on WiFi for updating etc.
    I plan tours all over Europe and this is much easier to do at the PC and then transfer to TomTom. I have hundreds of POIs on my PC which thank goodness I can still use on my old TomTom Xl
    Superuser
    Then read my edited post telling you how too.

Do not confuse the MyDrive website and the My Drive Connect software they are totally different.

Doug
    Hi Doug, Your second post regarding managing POIs online is just what I was looking for but I was busy typing when this came through. Thanks a million, this is the first sensible answer I have yet seen anywhere regarding the ne w TomTom and managing/planning routes away from the device. Best Regards -- cire
    Thanks again Doug, your points are well noted and I have copied them. I will give this a go tomorrow. Now, I'm off to do a bit of gaden
    Doug, "gaden" should read gardening, I never could type !
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,724
    Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @cire1042tt
    cire1042tt wrote: »
    This answer from YFM did not address the problem. I have no problems updating via WiFi. I want to connect to MyDrive so I can plan routes etc and then download them to the TomTom as was possible and very easy using TomTomHome with the old devices. I feel TomTom have lost their way and made everything more involved and complicated.

I wish people would read my problem and give relevant solution and not just try to show how clever they are
    The Question you asked....
    After much pestering from TomTom about my old XL being obsolete and making me offers to upgrade I finally purchased a GO Premium. Firstly it is a nightmare trying to get it to connect to my PC via MyDrive. I have tried on both my PCs and on my neighbour's PC, I have followed every suggestion on TomTom websites and disscussion groups . Most suggestions are just repeats of what others have already said and of no help whatsoever. Secondly I now find, contrary to what I was told by TomTom that I cannot transfer my hundreds of important POIs from my old XL.
    PLEASE can anyone help without repeating all the old obvious suggestions.

Thanks to whoever can help me.
    Hi... I answered the question you asked....
    You asked about connecting your GO Premium to MyDrive Connect,
    Option... (2) in my Post explains how to do it
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1648899/#Comment_1648899
    I repeat, I cannot connect my new GO Premium to either of my PCs or my neighbour's PC. This is the problem and no other. If yo search the web you will find literally hundreds of people have the same problem. Even TomTom's own videos just repeat what is in their manuals and make no attempt to answer the questions.
    I have been using desktops and mainframe computers since 1984 so am not a novice.
    There's no need to repeat your Rant!!!
    I answered the question you asked correctly the first time....
    contrary to what I was told by TomTom that I cannot transfer my hundreds of important POIs from my old XL.
    PLEASE can anyone help without repeating all the old obvious suggestions.
    I also answered how to use Tomtoms official way to Move your Favorites & PO!s from your old XL to your GO Premium

Sorry but you didn't ask the right question

ATB YFM