New GO premium will not connect to PC — TomTom Community

New GO premium will not connect to PC

After much pestering from TomTom about my old XL being obsolete and making me offers to upgrade I finally purchased a GO Premium. Firstly it is a nightmare trying to get it to connect to my PC via MyDrive. I have tried on both my PCs and on my neighbour's PC, I have followed every suggestion on TomTom websites and disscussion groups . Most suggestions are just repeats of what others have already said and of no help whatsoever. Secondly I now find, contrary to what I was told by TomTom that I cannot transfer my hundreds of important POIs from my old XL.
PLEASE can anyone help without repeating all the old obvious suggestions.
I am not a novice with computing and had my first desktop back in 1984 !!

Thanks to whoever can help me.

Best Answer

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,687
    Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @cire1042tt
    cire1042tt wrote: »
    After much pestering from TomTom about my old XL being obsolete and making me offers to upgrade I finally purchased a GO Premium. Firstly it is a nightmare trying to get it to connect to my PC via MyDrive. I have tried on both my PCs and on my neighbour's PC, I have followed every suggestion on TomTom websites and disscussion groups . Most suggestions are just repeats of what others have already said and of no help whatsoever
    The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re GO Premium normally update using Wi-Fi...
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    Secondly I now find, contrary to what I was told by TomTom that I cannot transfer my hundreds of important POIs from my old XL.
    I am not a novice with computing and had my first desktop back in 1984 !!.
    Tomtom Video... Transferring favourites and POIs to your new device (TomTom Home)
    See...

ATB YFM
  • cire1042ttcire1042tt Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This answer from YFM did not address the problem. I have no problems updating via WiFi. I want to connect to MyDrive so I can plan routes etc and then download them to the TomTom as was possible and very easy using TomTomHome with the old devices. I feel TomTom have lost their way and made everything more involved and complicated.

I wish people would read my problem and give relevant solution and not just try to show how clever they are.

I repeat, I cannot connect my new GO Premium to either of my PCs or my neighbour's PC. This is the problem and no other. If yo search the web you will find literally hundreds of people have the same problem. Even TomTom's own videos just repeat what is in their manuals and make no attempt to answer the questions.

I have been using desktops and mainframe computers since 1984 so am not a novice.
  • cire1042ttcire1042tt Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Doug, Thanks, I have made a note of your excellent solutions that you posted on the other thread. -- cire1042. I will stick to the other thread and not post anymore on this one
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,687
    Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @cire1042tt
    This answer from YFM did not address the problem. I have no problems updating via WiFi. I want to connect to MyDrive so I can plan routes etc and then download them to the TomTom as was possible and very easy using TomTomHome with the old devices. I feel TomTom have lost their way and made everything more involved and complicated.

I wish people would read my problem and give relevant solution and not just try to show how clever they are
    The Question you asked....
    After much pestering from TomTom about my old XL being obsolete and making me offers to upgrade I finally purchased a GO Premium. Firstly it is a nightmare trying to get it to connect to my PC via MyDrive. I have tried on both my PCs and on my neighbour's PC, I have followed every suggestion on TomTom websites and disscussion groups . Most suggestions are just repeats of what others have already said and of no help whatsoever. Secondly I now find, contrary to what I was told by TomTom that I cannot transfer my hundreds of important POIs from my old XL.

Thanks to whoever can help me.
    Hi... I answered the question you asked....
    You asked about connecting your GO Premium to MyDrive Connect,
    Option... (2) in my Post explains how to do it
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1648899/#Comment_1648899
    I repeat, I cannot connect my new GO Premium to either of my PCs or my neighbour's PC. This is the problem and no other. If yo search the web you will find literally hundreds of people have the same problem. Even TomTom's own videos just repeat what is in their manuals and make no attempt to answer the questions.
    I have been using desktops and mainframe computers since 1984 so am not a novice.
    There's no need to repeat your Rant!!!
    I answered the question you asked correctly the first time....
    contrary to what I was told by TomTom that I cannot transfer my hundreds of important POIs from my old XL.
    I also answered how to use Tomtoms official way to Move your Favorites & PO!s from your old XL to your GO Premium

Sorry but you didn't ask the right question

ATB YFM