Rider V5 - memory upgrade — TomTom Community

Rider V5 - memory upgrade

Saw66Saw66 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
Is there a way to upgrade the internal memory of my TomTom Rider V5? It doesn't have any external micro-sd slots but I was hoping that the internal one could be upgraded. Has anyone try this?

To open up the case I would need special security hex key but I don't want to do that and find out the memory can't really be upgraded.

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,932 Superuser
    Hi @Saw66

Internal memory modifications are not an option. The only option is the addition of memory via an external slot when available. Some of the old units do not have the facility whereas all the others do.

Doug
  • tiljestiljes Posts: 189 [Exalted Navigator]
    @Saw66 might be possible with a soldering iron (adding internal SD slot or even exchanging memory chip). Some people have done it for older TomTom devices.
    Obviously this is some advanced modification that can easily go very wrong. Afaik nobody has tried this on the Rider 2013. Search the web for some more insight. It's actually a modification I am thinking about but I haven't had time to look into it.
  • Saw66Saw66 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    @tiljes: thanks! that's the type of solution I was looking for. I was able to find a video which showcases an opened Rider V5 unit for changing the battery and touch screen here:

But there are no details about what should be done to change memory. I found some information for an older version of Rider here:
    https://www.gpspower.net/tomtom-tutorials/247082-adding-soldering-extra-internal-memory.html

I might just have to open it up and see what's in there to assess my options.