Go 6200 completely unusable after update-try — TomTom Community

Go 6200 completely unusable after update-try

Hi all, this is not my native language, so please excuse my mistakes. :#
My 1 year old Go 6200 wifi (wifi/network-key might not be installed) is completely disfunctional. After trying to install the updates manually on the device (menue -> ...) while connected to pc, all cards were deleted. Now, the Go 6200 display shows, I have to install cards first, before I can take any further actions. The downloads of cards doesn't work. Neither by wifi, nor when connected to pc. Without any cards, I can't get into the menue of my device.
This is what I've tried already:
- I connected to my drive connect (usb,pc), in order to operate the Go via my drive connect. Unfortunately the display of my drive connect shows "Connect your device using Wifi" as soon as I connect my device. Wifi doesn't work, or I don't know how to do this in this case.
- I restarted my device several times. Each time with the same result after restart: "Download a card first..."
- I deinstalled my drive connect, installed it again, without result. "Connect your device using Wifi" on display of my drive connect on pc
- I deleted a tomtom- file on my pc („hdm“ was it called? Sorry, I’m not sure)
- I wrote an email to support, didn’t help at all.
I am thinking about to submit a warranty claim…but this will cost me precious time without my device.
Many thanks in advance for your advices and your help.
Marieke

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,063 Superusers
    edited May 25
    Hi
    @Mamimo

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi...
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
  • MamimoMamimo Posts: 10 [Novice Seeker]
    Hi YamFazMan,
    thank you so much for the quick response! I connected my device to a usb port on my pc, "MyDrive Connect" running in the background. But unfortunately, my device didn't manage to download the cards. My network runs stable with enough speed, nevertheless the download crashes each time. I can't execute any further actions on the device as the downloading of cards (which fails).

Additionally now MyDrive Connect pops open spontaneously with "not connected to internet", which can't be right as I am connected right now...
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,063 Superusers
    edited May 25
    Hi
    @Mamimo

At the Moment some users are having problems with MyDrive Connect...
    Try....
    If you're using a Windows PC...
    Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    If you're using a Mac...
    Surely there must be a Deep Clean Un-installer Program available for a Mac ???
    Download & install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Here...https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
    Revo first uninstalls the Program... Then scans and removes all of the left over files a normal uninstall leaves behind

How to use the Revo Uninstaller Program

(1)... Uninstall MyDrive Connect Using the Revo Uninstaller
    (2)... Clear your browsers cache (Optional, but I find it helps, I have more success if I clear the cache)
    (3)... Restart your PC (Not Turn Off & Turn On again)
    Reinstall MyDrive Connnect (Without your device connected)
    Download & Install MDC Here...
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/getstarted/p/2504
    With MyDrive Connect running on your PC
    Login to MyDrive Connect
    Connect & Turn on your device...

ATB YFM
    Hi YamFazMan,
    I will try this as soon as possible. Many thanks in advance, pray that it will help.
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 9,540 Superuser
    Hi Mamimo
    You can also ask in the German part of TomTom Forum.
    Scroll down this page and change the english Flag to the german Flag.
    Or: https://discussions.tomtom.com/de/
    There You can ask in German language.

Wenn du nicht weiter kommst kannst du den Support auch um hilfe bitten.
    Kontakt:
    Deutschland: 069 663 08 012 Mo 9:00-17:30 / Di - Fr: 09.00 – 16:30 Uhr
    Deutschland: 069 6680 0915 Mo 9:00-17:30 / Di - Fr: 09.00 – 16.30 Uhr
    Österreich: 0810 102 557 Mo 9:00-17:30 / Di - Fr: 09.00 – 16.30 Uhr
    Schweiz: 0844 0000 16 Mo 9:00-17:30 / Di - Fr: 09.00 – 16.30 Uhr
    Kontaktformular nach Auswahl: https://de.support.tomtom.com/app/contact

Mailanfragen dauern in der regel sehr lange. Besser ist ein Anruf oder die Frage im Forum

Hi Lochfrass,
    I think this is a very good idea :3 My German is way better I hope! I'm going to change to the German forum, but I'm staying tuned to this forum also.

Hi YamFazMan,
    I tried your solution, unfortunately it didn't help. I think, it will be the warranty claim, then. Or do you think it might help to wait a while - for example for the new version of MyDrive Connect - and do the procedure all over again (uninstall MyDrive-> clear cache -> new start of pc...)?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,164 Superuser
    edited May 25
    HI @Mamimo

When you say you have to load the Card first are you saying there is no map on on your GO6200. This could have happened if you did an update and the update was interrupted.

(The German for map is Karte isn't it which Google translates as Card)

In English our units would say No Map Found or No Map available.. If that is the case then the GO6200 cannot start because it has to have a map on it to start.

Does this Video help.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1041654/no-maps-available-wi-fi-devices#latest

Sorry for Google

Wenn Sie sagen, dass Sie zuerst die Karte laden müssen, ist auf Ihrem GO6200 noch keine Karte vorhanden. Dies könnte geschehen sein, wenn Sie ein Update durchgeführt haben und das Update unterbrochen wurde.

In Englisch würden unsere Einheiten No Map Found oder No Map available (Keine Karte gefunden oder Keine Karte verfügbar) anzeigen. Wenn dies der Fall ist, kann der GO6200 nicht gestartet werden, da er zum Starten eine Karte haben muss.

Hilft dieses Video.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/de/discussion/1041654/no-maps-available-wi-fi-devices#latest

Doug
    Hi DougLap,
    you are right, sorry for the misunderstanding :'( the update was interrupted, all maps (sorry!!!) were deleted, there (seems to be) no way to take any action...I will watch the video, thank you very much.
    Marieke
    edited May 26
    Hi @Mamimo

Please advise how you get on following video.

Also how many maps did you have on your GO6200 when this happened. Was it only one ie Europe.?

If it does not work then we can refer it back to Tomtom for recommendations. They may be able to change settings at their end to help sort this out.

All the best.

Doug
    Hi DougLap,
    I just watched the video, thanks again. Unfortunately, the only screens that shows on my device are "there are no maps available" + "add a map" -> "select a country" -> in my case I select Germany -> the download starts but doesn' complete. There is no way of selecting usb or wifi connection or any other option.
    This is why I installed MyDrive Connect. I start MyDrive Connect -> connect my device usb to pc -> MyDrive Connect-Screen shows

i8zyc3164xfe.png

Nevertheless I repeat the procedure mentioned above (add a map ...) on my device while connected to MyDrive , the download won't be completed.

Can I reset my device to factory settings?
    Hi

Re the attaching by USB. When you do that you turn on MyDrive Connect on the PC and when you attach the GO6200 by USB you are only using the PC as a WiFi source. You use the menus on the GO 6200 to do everything. In fact someone else could’ be browsing the internet at the same time.

Have you tried choosing another map ie Europe instead of just Germany.

What maps were on it when it failed.

Doug
    Hi. Re resetting to Factory Settings you need to get into the full menu to do that. You cannot do that as it needs a map to start properly then you can sort out what you want.

I am assuming you only had one map on the unit when this happened. Is that right and which one was it.

Doug
    Hi DougLap,
    yes you are right, only the map of Germany has been installed.

Yippieieieieh, I tried the Netherlands etc instead of Germany. It helped! The Netherlands are on my device now, which means I get into the menue...and I am afraid to take any action now.... I don't want to loose this precious chance I have now =)
    Next, I'm going to check the wifi on the device. Could be, the network key is missing... what would you suggest as a next step? Should I try to update once again? The updating has led to the crash of the system...
    Many thanks to you DougLap, we are one step further now!!
    I've checked WIFI, it works/it's connected now, unless of course, my device is plugged in my pc (usb)
    edited May 26
    Hi @Mamimo

=) =) =)

Now I would do the following. Go into Add a Map and add the Venezuela Map. I have it on mine.

Why you ask. Well I want you to have a working map on your unit at all times. Loaded the map on your unit, it is only 29mb so very small, and leave it alone and never touch it again. This will mean you have a valid map on your unit which means it will be able to start and then you can sort out any problems.

Now you have to decide what map or maps you have on your GO6200. It has an internal memory of 16gb so it has plenty of space for the Full European map which is about 9GB as well as the Operating Software and still have space to spare..

If you download the individual country maps ie Germany and The Netherlands for example you cannot create a route that crosses the border between them. If you download the Full European map you can do routes from one end to the other. The only thing about this is that updates for Europe are much bigger than the individual maps.

When you do map updates the procedure is to remove the existing version odf the map and then installing a new version. If there is an interruption during an update the unit does not have that map to be able to operate with.

If you ever do a Factory Restore when you have completed it you will still have the latest version of the Operating software and the same versions of all the maps you had installed as well. You will delete all the Settings ie Language, Wifi and Account details as well as all your Favourites (My Places) and any POI and Route files. When you have completed the Factory Restore the unit then connects to the Tomtom Account and restores all the Favourites which have backed up there as well as all the POI and Route files you loaded onto the GO6200 from the My Drive.

So from now on do all your updating etc with the GO6200 connected to your Wifi and only consider connecting to your PC if you have a real problem that demands that you need to do that .

Hope that helps.

Doug
    Hi DougLap,
    thank you so much for your help!! I'm so happy, I can use my tomtom again, perfect!
    I added the Venezuela map (great idea!), I also added the map of Europe (thanks for the tip, I soon will cross borders, so it's a benefit).
    Also I will delete and install new cards instead of updating them in the future. And, no, I will never connect my device to my pc without any serious problems :-)
    DougLab, YamFazMan, Lochfrass, it's a huge value to have you here. You do a great job.
    Best wishes, Marieke
    Hi @Mamimo

You're welcome. We were pleased to be able to help.

Not a bad idea about loading the other maps when needed. One thing to remember is that you cannot get the USA map on the internal memory together with the Full European map so then you would need to add a Micro SD Class 10 memory card, 16GB or maximum 32GB, to the extra memory slot. If you get a Memory card then a Sandisk, Samsung or similar major make is recommended and obtained from a reliable source to avoid fakes. Some lesser known Memory card shave been known to not work properly in the Tomtom units.

One other thing to note is that Traffic only works in Europe as Traffic is limited to the Area where the Tomtom is bought.

Happy Travels.

Doug
    Hi Doug,
    thanks for the advice! When I will visit USA again, I will take my Sandisk (I've alreade made my experiences with other sd cards).
    Happy Travels to you
    Marieke