is every headset affected all the time ?? (hoarse voice) - Page 2 — TomTom Community

is every headset affected all the time ?? (hoarse voice)

2»

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Kenneth,

I'm glad to hear you got it sorted! :D

However, I'm afraid there's some confusion here. The audio quality issue is not related to the screen. They might have found a fault in in the screen in the repair centre and repaired it but the fact that your sound issue was fixed is more likely result of the reflashed software on the device. Unfortunately, this hasn't always solved the issue.

Cheers, Mikko
  • BelgiumRider400BelgiumRider400 Posts: 35 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Mikko is this the case? I would really like to use my TT with my headset.
  • jelle1970jelle1970 Posts: 93 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Well I did some hard resets and softresets in the month May. Problem with hoarse sound is only temperarely disappeared. I get tired and sick of it. A over € 400,-- device and a problem thats still not resolved by TomTom. I sent a call to customer support again. Not happy with the device.
    I have in the month of May several times with hoarse voice. From customer support they advices to hard en soft reset. For a while the voice is good, but than it starts again with the horse voice. And do it over and over the hard resets is not a solution. It is more to delay the customer to give a good solution.
    I have the latest Sena firmware and TomTom updates. I use my TomTom everyday. So hopefully TomTom understand that I am not that happy with the device.
  • mcfyrenmcfyren Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I finally gave up, and returned my TomTom Rider 400.

I have been so enthusiastic about the features of the product. But the lack of the basic and most needed feature like voice directions without noise and telephone conversations impossible to hear, did that i now have given up about this navigator. I thought that the problem was solved last time i wrote in here, as TomTom repaired the screen. But unfortunately i was wrong. After some days, the problem came back. I talked with TomTom support, and they promised me that they would fix this problem, and promised me a new unit. This "new" (repaired) unit returned from Romania. In a box without foam inside the big box 6 times as big as the navigator. Just with a little bubble foil around the unit.
    When i opened it, there was scratches on the back of the unit. I was SO furious and contacted TomTom support. Again i was told to reset GPS, Headset etc. The same story. Nothing helped. The "new" unit also had this anoying hoarse and scratchy sound. I called TomTom support again. Now the answer was that they don't support Schuberth SRC headsets! Then i asked for a return of the product.
    TomTom refused, and told me that they could only send repaired units og repair the unit. They forwarded me to the dealer, where i bought the unit.

I gave up on the TomTom support, and contacted my dealer and told them about the case. They gave me a complete refund of the navigator, and i got all my money back.

Afterwards i bought a new Garmin Zumo 595LM. Nice, clear sound on all headsets. Extremely fast. Nice build quality. It's not rotating the picture every now and then. The software works promptly.

I don't think that these TomTom Rider 4xx models will ever work without, scratching sounds on Bluetooth.
    Without bluetooth tethering the sound is good. But no traffic service and so on. Not acceptable!!!!!
    With bluetooth tehtering the sound is worse.
    Everytime resets is too much to trust this product.

I have already two devices Rider 400.
    1 with water damage.
    1 repaired device with purple screen within a half hour of use.

I hope that my third device will work. Except the worse voice. That will still be an issue.
  • mcfyrenmcfyren Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    This is the exact reason why i dont believe that these Rider 4xx will ever work. TomTom has been claiming that the problem would be solved every.time there was a new software update. I dont believe in that anymore. How come that there is no problems with the same headsets on Garmin units at all?
    I think the sound/bluetooth problem is hardware related and because of that TomTom canr fix the prolem at the moment. I have been very tolerant about the problem, but now after almost two year, i have given up.
    Dear Mikko,

I am going on a ride this weekend. The ride is complex and I would prefer not to have to look down at my tom-tom constantly. I will be doing 300km a day and I want to enjoy music. Unfortunately, I have a choice, do I use voice navigation with no live traffic and no music or do I play my music for the 4 1/2 hours with no voice and no live traffic. Its been years and months since your last semi-promise that there has been development. After doing a short trip this weekend, I was ready to "GOOI" it into a river. I am sending the unit back to you. Can you please arrange for a working replacement.

Kind regards,
    From a very frustrated and irritated customer.
    When we complain here at this forum no one of tomtom give a reply. Also very disappointed from TomTom. No answers at all from TomTom did you guys noticed that?
    Let the product team do their own test. Get a tomtom 400. Buy a Sena smh-series 5. Get a smartphone. And eventually buy a motorcycle and do your tests. Instead of asking people for a known long lasting problem. For God sake is communication in your company that difficult?
  • CrystalbarnCrystalbarn Posts: 60 [Legendary Explorer]
    Paul.R.F. wrote:
    I recently purchased a Philips bluetooth in-ear set just for my phone and decided to see how they went with the Rider and they are very clear with the the phone set up for traffic and phone calls. I do later wish to purchase a proper helmet headset but at least with these at the moment I can still hear directions and get live traffic updates.
    http://www.philips.com.au/c-p/SHQ6500CL_00/bluetooth-sports-headphones

I have a similar bluetooth in-ear set from soundmagic, on my phone or iPad they're a lovely set of earphones, but on the brand new Rider 450 I cannot hear anything but a slight whisper at standstill, once moving I cannot hear anything, they're useless on Rider 450.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Unfortunately, I don't have much news about this issue since I last posted here. The investigation is on-going and I'll post back here as soon as I have news to share.

I'd also like to point out that the issue with audio quality discussed here is not directly related to music playback, volume or other similar issues.

Cheers, Mikko
    Dear Mikko,

I am going on a ride this weekend. The ride is complex and I would prefer not to have to look down at my tom-tom constantly. I will be doing 300km a day and I want to enjoy music. Unfortunately, I have a choice, do I use voice navigation with no live traffic and no music or do I play my music for the 4 1/2 hours with no voice and no live traffic. Its been years and months since your last semi-promise that there has been development. After doing a short trip this weekend, I was ready to "GOOI" it into a river. I am sending the unit back to you. Can you please arrange for a working replacement.

Kind regards,
    From a very frustrated and irritated customer.

I was just informed that my comment above was marked for solicitation and that me saying a class action law suit should be concerted has been removed?
    Google gives these two definitions of solicitation:
    1. the act of asking for or trying to obtain something from someone.
    "he was a regular target for solicitation of funds"
    2. the act of accosting someone and offering one's or someone else's services as a prostitute.
    "a woman arrested for solicitation"
    Now, I am not a lawyer nor a prostitute, not sure how you get to that. I am happy to hear your thoughts on this. Personally, I think you are getting worried about a group of your customers getting fed up with you playing for time and saying (two months ago) you will have news soon. Yes, we are irritated and getting more vocal.

I live close to the boarder of NL and would gladly pick one of you guys up at the TT office, be it Vikram or Mikko and take you for a 2 hour drive with the wonderful sound of the voice navigation playing in your helmet and see how long you last.

I am open for truthful an open dialog between myself and TT but dont take me for a idiot. I said it many time and I will say it again. I dont expect the Rider to make coffee or order my pizza. I only want a unit that does what it says it can do. Thats all.

Cheers,
    Well well, investigation which takes a year. Congrats.
    Can tomtom erase the list of compatible bt devices. Because mine is on the list and is not working well with the good sound. That is false information to the customers.
    Or can we all get a refund, because tomtom is not able to solve the issue. And the solution takes longer than we can wait anymore. And keep the unhappy customers more and more waiting. That is not the way you treat your customers.
    Tomtom does not care about complaining customers unfortunately. What compensation can we get. I think and I am sure NONE.
    A basic function bt tethering is a great failure in this device. And still selling a low quality product with a too high price.

I was a great fan of tomtom products. But that is over for me. Still waiting on my repaired device.

Garmin is better in my opinion.
  • pistu_fogheccpistu_foghecc Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    I used my rider in the car, only with data connection and even with the internal speaker the rider was "Hoarsing around"
  • eldawidoeldawido Posts: 206 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Try to get refund, only money can force them to solve this issue.
    Otherwise your warranty will be gone, and hoarse voice will be with you "lifetime".
    How many years we have to wait?
  • MichaelkeayMichaelkeay Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    I have a brand new 550 and Sena 10S. I get the distorted voice with or without the phone connected, All on latest firmware. Interesting to note that Kenneth,s 400 was fixed after sending back to tomtom in 2017, yet here we are 2 years later and same problem with new units. WTF is going on?
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 726 Superuser
    Bad Bluetooth stack / drivers or they can’t fine tune it I suppose...