GO App Showing wrong position — TomTom Community

GO App Showing wrong position

Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
MY Tomtom Go app reliably shows the wrong position. It shows me about 30m right of the correct position driving through buildings etc.
Route planning is impossible as it constantly tries to plan directions based on this incorrect position. i.e. this is unusable.
Any ideas?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,062 Superusers
    Hi
    @Fred Flintstone

Was your Phone in a dead zone... lost the signal ???

ATB YFM
  • Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    No.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,161 Superuser
    edited May 24
    Hi @Fred Flintstone

Presumably as you are saying this occurs where buildings are it is okay elsewhere.

Phones, and PDN's, can sometimes struggle to get a precise location when moving around where Buildings or Underpasses/Tunnels are obscuring the required signals. If this is occurring then presumably the App is being given incorrect location data by the phone and so the App will try to get you back to a route/road from where its told it is.

Doug
    No. It's consistently wrong. I don't know if this is related to the satellite week number change or not.
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 234 [Exalted Navigator]
    As I have tried all different GPS apps alone with standalone units I have never had any problems having it showing me in a wrong location. I plan all my trips setting up my GPS in my house. No matter which app I user or standalone unit it always shows I am in the back of the house + or - 5 meters one way or the other.

Now I know that GPS will seem to drift when you have high building or driving under Trolley electric lines.

But 30 meters does not really sound that correct. Without showing screen shots of this it is had to say what your problems are.

Maybe there is a problem with your phone??

But saying while you drive it is to the left or right of the road by 30 meters.

You have to show some screen shots of this.

Do you get this with other GPS apps???
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 326 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi @Fred Flintstone,

30 metres off position may be due to the wrong map datum being used. I'm pretty sure that TomTom will use the WGS 84 Map Datum.

Are you using, or have you used, other apps on your Andriod phone that use GPS and which might use a different Map Datum than WGS 84 and thus reset your Android phone to another Map Datum?

Sorry, I use iOS iPhone. so I don't know how to check what Map Datum an Android phone is using.

Regards,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look.