Tomtom 1005 stuck in recovery loop. — TomTom Community

Tomtom 1005 stuck in recovery loop.

Please can anybody help? Updated 1005 and now it is stuck in a recovery loop because straight after the update it kept freezing and was really slow. Tried to reset it a few times and then resorted to recovering it. Now it is stuck in a recovery loop. Wish I'd never tried to update it now.
Is there anything else I can do?
Many thanks in advance

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,526
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Clarty123

Your not alone, there's lots of 1005's having the same problem
    See... This Post... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1242301/#Comment_1242301

Then Install Smaller MapZone not the full Map

Maybe also read the thread I've linked....

What the first 2 Characters of you 1005's Serial Number

ATB YFM
  • Clarty123Clarty123 Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hi thank you kindly replying to my post. Please can I ask how do you install a smaller map please? This is my mums sat nav I am trying to get running again. It is a 1005 with camper and caravan mapping added on. I feel like throwing it out of the window right now! It's sooooo frustrating!
    Btw the first two characters on the sat nav is ST
    I found this earlier and tried to downgrade to a smaller map but with it been stuck in a loop the smaller map is ghosted out and it say connect device but at this stage it doesn’t recognise the device and then goes into restoring your device.
  • xwintechxwintech Posts: 290 [Supreme Pioneer]
    @Clarty123 , you may do a recovery again, and then after the device boots up, a full factory reset (will erase data and settings). Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your help but I’ve tried recovering it many times now and it just goes back to the cogs turning on screen.
    Ok, so you may contact TomTom Customer Support.
    I've contacted Tomtom to get a refund for the live services my mum paid for and they have passed it onto the finance department but still no joy with the sat nav. They have told me that they will honour a loyalty discount for a new sat nav which totally defeats the object! So in a nut shell.........never ever update an out of warranty sat nav with Tomtom unless you want to shell out for a new one! I am curious though if there would be a case to answer to in court as there are a lot of people who have perfectly working sat navs until they update them through Tomtom. I feel that they should correct the problem if this has come about from their updates? It's a bit like Apple, they came clean about the battery issues and then gave a good discount to change the batteries of everyones iPhones, mine been one of them. They even couldn't sort that out so they replaced my old phone with a new one. Come on Tomtom, stop messing everyone about and sort these issues out instead of brushing them under the carpet. If you provide lifetime map updates it also should come with a guarantee for dodgy map updates.
    You are right, hopefully everything will work out.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,202
    Superuser
    edited May 2019
    Hi @Clarty123

Have you tried the solutions as listed on page 7 on the following topic. Persistence worked!

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1032274/go-live-1005-keeps-turning-off-freezing-rebooting/p7

Good luck

Doug
    Thanks Doug. I keep trying Johnst’s way of trying to get it to come on. I’ve tried at 10 seconds,11seconds and so on all the way to 20 but the cog just keeps coming on. Will keep trying though as I’m not a quitter!! 😂
    edited May 2019
    Wait! I have just got an idea! Hold the power button until the device shuts off, the hold it until you see white text, click the power button fastly 2 times, it should continue booting to normal mode, it worked with my TomTom Start 20.
    Thank for your help but i’ve already done that and passed that stage as it’s stuck in the recovery loop. Rang Tomtom and was on the phone for an hour. The lady went through my pc on remote to see what was happening and she finally told me it’s got a major software issue and can’t be sorted. Offered 25% off a new one. Just wish they made the sides of the sat nav thinner, that way I could use it as a door stop because that’s all an out of warranty Tomtom is good for!
    Basically you are right, but I am still having my Start 20 as my daily driver and it works great.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,526
    Superusers
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    @Clarty123

Sorry to read this isn't sorted yet....

When the device is in Recovery Mode it is essential that MyDrive connect is working correctly, Recovery Mode needs MyDrive Connect to be able to access the Tomtom servers
    If Mydrive Connect, for what ever reason can't connect to the server, the Tomtom device device goes round and round in a loop trying to connect...
    Try....
    If you're using a Windows PC...
    Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    If you're using a Mac...
    Surely there must be a Deep Clean Un-installer Program available for a Mac ???
    Download & install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Here...https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
    Revo first uninstalls the Program... Then scans and removes all of the left over files a normal uninstall leaves behind

How to use the Revo Uninstaller Program

(1)... Uninstall MyDrive Connect Using the Revo Uninstaller
    (2)... Clear your browsers cache (Optional, but I find it helps)
    (3)... Restart your PC (Not Turn Off & Turn On again)
    Reinstall MyDrive Connnect (Without your device connected)
    Download & Install MDC Here...
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/getstarted/p/2504
    With MyDrive Connect running on your PC
    Login to MyDrive Connect
    Connect & Turn on your device...

"ST">GO LIVE 1005 / Camper & Caravan, 8GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3... Should be plenty of Memory space for the Map
    But in other threads users have only had success when installing a smaller MapZone

Best of Luck YamFazMan
    Thank you very much I’ll try that. In fact I’ll try anything!! I’m on a MacBook which I’m fairly new to but will follow your steps carefully.