Why is tomtom useless in Guernsey? — TomTom Community

Why is tomtom useless in Guernsey?

martinwh1martinwh1 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
Worked fin in Jersey last year but this year in Guernsey it's as good as useless. Posrcodes are input but not recognised, in some cases even main road names are not recognised. Today, tried to navigate to Waitrose - input postcode GY11FG not recognised, tried Waitrose and up came GY1 1FG Waitrose Rohais Road in POI. Accepted and it nearly worked - gave up in Collings Rd and left us to decide which way to go at the t-junction fortunately we guessed right and tgat was right!

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,269
    Superusers
    Hi
    @martinwh1

You're device is ???

ATB YFM
  • martinwh1martinwh1 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    It's a GO 510. The map is Europe with United Kingdom and Ireland buildings v1025.9402. I did check for updates on 15/05/2019.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,106
    Superuser
    edited May 2019
    Hi @martinwh1

I suggest you do your shopping elsewhere. =)=)

If you go onto the Waitrose website and search for Branches and ask for Guernsey it offers 2 addresses.

Rohais Road
    St. Peter Port
    GUERNSEY
    GY1 1FG

Admiral Park
    St Peter Port
    Guernsey
    GY1 2AL

As. you say the first postcode of GY11FG is not found on a TT however the Postcode for the other branch is okay

If you go on to Google Earth it knows where the 2 buildings are. The first is in Rohais and it says it has the Post Code of GY11FG which is correct. However if you put that Post code into search on Google Earth it says it is about a mile away in the middle of St Peters Port.

Food for thought if you can find a place to buy it.

Doug
    Just discovered why we were abandoned in Collings Road - that's where tomtom think Waitrose is. Interestingly if you look up Natwest-Waitrose ie the atm in the wall of the store, they know that is in Rohais.
    The location of the main co-op in St.Martins is similarly confusing: tomtom thinks it's in La Rue des Frenes, the co-op says it's in La Route des Camps but that's no good as tomtom prefers to call the road Les Camps.
    Seems the best way to navigate via Tomtom is to hope the place is included in the POI file, then hope they have the right location. Should have brought my phone holder so I could use Google maps as they seem far better.
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 378 [Supreme Pioneer]
    I've always found TomTom POIs to be a bit flakey and inaccurate. As I'm using a vehicle SatNav I want to be navigated to the car park entrance, or front door if there's no car park.

My wife and I have been visiting Jersey every year since 2000. Our first SatNav with maps of the Channel Islands was CoPilot v5 on a Pocket PC PDA in 2004. It wasn't until 2008 that TomTom had mapped the Channel Islands, so we bought a TomTom 730T.

We started to record our own custom POIs of places that we visited in Jersey in 2008 with our TomTom 730T because a lot of places just weren't listed as TomTom POIs, or were listed but were inaccurate. Ever since 2008, I have continued to add POIs every year either whilst actually there on trips or whilst back at home using a variety of resources such as Google Earth, Google Maps, Google Street View, and Open Street Maps. I confirm each POI in TomTom MyDrive. POIs added whilst at home are marked as TBC (To Be Confirmed) and are confirmed and/or updated when back in Jersey, at that point they lose their 'TBC' tag. Currently, I have over 700 Jersey POIs and that number will only continue to increase.

We have only been to Guernsey once and that was back in 2002, i.e. before I had a SatNav that had maps of the Channel Islands. My wife and I are hoping to visit Guernsey in the next year or so and now I've started to create a list of POIs of Guernsey. The only problem is that there's no Google Street View because the locals had a problem with being mapped.

This is exactly the reason why TomTom should reinstate full POI support in all NavKit products to allow users to add their own POIs and to match the functionality of the old Nav2 devices such as the 10 years old TomTom 950 Live PND.

Yes, I know that some NavKit products can import POIs via MyDrive but TomTom GO Mobile iOS cannot do this! No NavKit product can show POI icons on the map or navigation screen. I'm not sure that any NavKit product allows you to directly edit a POI list.

Regards,
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,106
    Superuser
    Hi @PrivateerUK

Have you tried the Mapcode App on your phone.

In the app you can have a map view exactly like Google Earth and you can search for addresses and Postcodes etc. You can then move the map around under the cursor point until it is over a precise point ie the entrance of a car park. You are then given an Address for the position as well as a Mapcode and the Long/Lat. The mapcodes are virtually capable of defining a Parking Slot in a Car Park anywhere in the world. You can cut and paste the Long/Lat into TT Mobile Go. The Mapcodes do not work in MyDrive or the Mobile Go App but do work on most of the Standalone units.

If your TT unit has the UK on it and you enter the Mapcode DH.FX exactly as written in search where you would enter a post code or address info and select the first place offered the unit will create a route to the Middle Gate at the front of Buck House. A different code applies to a position on the pavement next to the gate.

If you are not in the UK when you do this you have to put GBR in front of the code.

I have found this very useful in getting to a precise point , especially in rural areas where postcodes are capable of being 1/2 a mile from say the entrance to a property.

Hope you find that useful.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,269
    Superusers
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    @martinwh1
    @PrivateerUK
    (Snip) We started to record our own custom POIs of places that we visited in Jersey in 2008 with our TomTom 730T (Snip) Ever since 2008, I have continued to add POIs every year either whilst actually there on trips or whilst back at home using a variety of resources such as Google Earth, Google Maps, Google Street View, and Open Street Maps. I confirm each POI in TomTom MyDrive. POIs added whilst at home are marked as TBC (To Be Confirmed) and are confirmed and/or updated when back in Jersey, at that point they lose their 'TBC' tag. Currently, I have over 700 Jersey POIs and that number will only continue to increase,
    I use this method as a workaround for my pesonal "_Favorite Catagory"... Your POI Category titles could be anything you choose
    Create a POI Category with your Favorite places
    Using your PC to build your own MyPlaces (Favorites) Database and load them into your Go
    Download the Free Tyre to Travel Basic..... http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/
    Tyre To Travel uses Google Maps and the large screen on your PC to view the maps, it easier than to scrolling around the screen of your Tomtom GO to find your MyPlaces (Favorites)

(1)..... Run Tyre to Travel
    Wait for Tyre to stop being busy

(2).....Double Click on the Tyre map at the position you would like to create a POI (Favorite) or use the yellow box in Tyre to search for addresses postcodes etc...

(3)….. To prevent double entry's in MyPlaces on the GO, when you are planning POI's (_Favorites), edit the names of your POI's so they each POI has a unique name that means something to you or modify the Name offered by Tyre so it becomes unique
    (3.1)..... When you have finished compiling your list,
    (3.2)….. From the Tyre "File Tab" select "Convert to a TomTom POI File”

e5b145ab-3a27-4fab-8142-8acd71b104de.png(3.3)….. From the Tyre "File Tab” Select “Save as" I saved my file to the Desktop as "_Favorites (Note "_Favorites.ov2" The Underscore before the "_F" is not displayed on the Tomtom screen, but it forces the POI category to the top of the list

Note: Saving a file is the only way I have found to give the file the name you want rather than the default name, it’s also handy to have a backup of your .Ov2 file on your PC

(4.0)..... Use My Drive to load your New Favorites POI Category to your device

Using MyDrive.....

You can now delete the MyPlaces that aren't required (Saves the MyPlaces blue star screen clutter) and use your New Favorites POI Category instead
    (Snip) I know that some NavKit products can import POIs via MyDrive but TomTom GO Mobile iOS cannot do this! No NavKit product can show POI icons on the map or navigation screen. I'm not sure that any NavKit product allows you to directly edit a POI list
    See Tomtom video Installing 3rd party POis....

Displaying Personal POIs on the Driving View/Map
    Be aware... You can't install the POI associated .BMP files
    You can only use the Tomtom supplied generic Icons
    But you can use one icon for for more than one POI category i.e... place all your fuel categories under one Icon, then if you tap on a nearby 'say' Fuel Icon a Quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot Icon for more options & more Information

Setup... After installing your Personal or 3rd party POIs....Tap 4Dot (....Menu) --> Settings --> Appearance --> Show POI lists on the Map
    It says a restart is required, but I've never found it to be necessary
    After choosing the Generic Icon.. Tap the coloured (^) Icon screen top right... Pinch zoom the Map, the Generic POI Icons all appear live and working
    Note... The Generic POI Icons disappear when the Map is highly zoomed out, and reappear as you zoom in again

ATB YFM
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 378 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi Doug,

Many thanks for your reply.
    DougLap wrote: »
    Have you tried the Mapcode App on your phone.
    No, I haven't tried the Mapcode app as I wasn't aware that one existed. I will download it and see what it's like.

I am aware of Mapcode and that TomTom products have supported Mapcode coordinates for many years. I agree that it's a useful way of transmitting coordinates especially as it's only a few characters long even if you have to include a country's prefix to avoid ambiguity. One small disadvantage is that it the current TomTom alpha keyboard doesn't include the period sign so you have to switch to the numeric keyboard and back again.

I'm not aware of many other SatNav manufacturers including Mapcode support for their products which is a shame. This is probably because what3words is now more universally known and supported - the irony is that TomTom is probably the only manufacturer that does not support what3words, which is a shame as I personally think that Mapcodes is easier to use as there are fewer characters to type. Using your example of Buck House:

Long/Lat: 51.501532, -0.141356
    Mapcode: GBR DH.FX
    what3words ///grid.palm.save
    OSGB: TQ 29104 79703

Mapcode is the better and quicker coordinate system to use!

I think the reason that TomTom uses Mapcodes and that no other manufacturer does, is that Mapcode was developed by Pieter Geelen and Harold Goddijn (both from TomTom) and even though the Mapcode system is in the public domain no other manufacturer wants to use Mapcode because of its TomTom association. Furthermore, although TomTom has been asked to include what3words support and there was even a press release in 2018 from what3words that they were partnering TomTom this has not happened. This may be sour grapes on TomTom's side. It's the case of Betamax and VHS, VHS won even though Betamax was probably the better design, similarly, what3words will probably win even though Mapcode (in my opinion) is better.

Finally, once I will try the Mapcode app, I already use a third party app called POIViewer which can hold the POIs and launch TomTom GO Mobile with a POI as its destination.

Regards,
    Tganks for the responses - guess the simple answer is that the basic tomtom doesn't really work in Guernsey!