Exchange maps between different TomTom devices

Used to have TomTom XL, purchased a couple of maps for this device, how can I use these maps for TomTom Start 42 device?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,600 Superuser
    HI @mlouisse

Maps are tied to the serial number of the unit they were supplied with or bought for and are not transferable to other units.

Doug
  • mlouissemlouisse Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Thank you for your reply, bad news though. When I purchased this new type, the seller assured me that it was no problem to transfer maps, so you see.
    Thanks to TomTom and the GPS week roll over issue, lost my old XL, now also lost my maps. Becomes costly exercise, any other solution TomTom?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,600 Superuser
    HI @mlouisse

I think you will find all GPS unit suppliers have the same policy. Your new unit has 8gb of internal memory which is probably at least 4 times as much as your old unit had. If you have not already done so I would suggest that you consider getting a Micro SD Class 10 memory card of 16gb or a maximum of 32gb made by Sandisk, Samsung or a similar major maker. The current full European map is nearly 9gb and so will not fit on your internal memory. When you update the unit you will run out of space and need the extra memory to take the map.

Doug