Deleting EU map and going for UK & ROI map only — TomTom Community

Deleting EU map and going for UK & ROI map only

AlanR47AlanR47 Posts: 24 [Master Traveler]
edited May 2019 in Map installation
Recently purchased a Start 52 with full Europe maps Lifetime maps installed. I do not need or want this lot and want to remove EU maps and replace with just UK & ROI.

Tried following one course of action I read on here and am unable to comply as I don't seem to be able to find map zones or any other maps (like UK & ROI). As it seems I am registered only to update EU I don't get the choice to update any other map let alone the option to delete EU.

I am drawing the conclusion that as I have a Lifetime update to EU map that TT can not understand why I would want to downgrade. BTW the only reason I bought EU version was the local dealer was having mad sale and full EU map was considerably cheaper than UK&ROI.

Is there any way to get to where I want to be? given that at present I am not.

BTW the EU map upgrade is some 6.5 GB and seems to be to update speed limit changes on the continent which is of no interest to me, now or in the future. Yes it will obviously update bit of the UK as well but at unnecessary time and data usage I can ill afford.

Any help suggestions or advice would be gratefully appreciated

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,770 Superuser
    Hi @AlanR47

Try contacting Customer Support and ask if they would allocate a UK and ROI map to your account.

Doug
  • AlanR47AlanR47 Posts: 24 [Master Traveler]
    Thanks for your prompt reply - must admit it seems to make sense (only been new owner of my Start 52 for a few days, as my old TT One suffered terminal event when WNRO happened).

Am I right in thinking I always have to have at least one map loaded?

And - that until I get more than one I will never be offered the option to delete one?

So I am thinking if I can get TT to add UK&ROI to my account I will not only acquire the ability to d/load the UK map but also to delete the EU map afterwards?

Thanks again - this is really helping me get my head around the bigger picture.
    Hi @AlanR47

You require a map on the unit otherwise it will not fully start. So you need to check how much free memory you have on the internal memory.

Tap Menu
    Tap ? In blue circle
    Tap About
    Scroll down and see how much free memory you have on internal memory.

If Tomtom support allocate a map to your account then download it if you have enough memory on the internal memory and would still have at least 400 mb of free memory left. This extra memory is for operational purposes.

Once you add the Uk & ROI map to your Start 52 you could remove the European map but it would still be available for reinstalling

If you leave it on the internal memory then should you have a problem with an update with UK & ROI map, say an interruption then the European map being there means the unit will have a map to be able to start properly. If the map is not there you could finish up with no map on the unit which is a problem.

Doug
    Thanks Doug - its coming together slowly.

I will get onto TomTom support just as soon as they open for business.

Regard
    Alan.
    I have just received a reply from TomTom central and their unimpressive reply basically said "Unfortunately, I regret to inform you that I cannot assign you map of Europe and Republic of Ireland as the TomTom you hold already has embedded subscription of LifeTime Europe map."

This reply took 4 days to arrive, answered the wrong question and said I could not do what I did not ask for.

First I did not ask for Europe and Republic of Ireland as I have already have them as I have the full Europe lifetime map.

The reply goes on to say "However, you can definitely choose a smaller map according to the zone you wish to use." - no I can't, it does not work, and the video link supplied is completely wrong where it talks about being able to choose and delete zones you don't need.

Clearly this agent seems unfamiliar with what does and does not work.

Just in case the latest software versions does what he says I have now updated everything, maps main core, speed cameras and MyDrive Connet now clearly announces when run "Your device is up to date".

Doing this update has taken nearly half an hour, has consumed 6GB my internet data allowance and filled my device with a ton of data I do not want.

I am now stuck with a huge map I do not want, and from what TOMTOM central has said there is nothing I can do about it.

My device free space has now shrunk from 1,1GB to 430MB with the latest updates and I fear it will not be long before I am unable to update the big map any more..

If I were using just UK & ROI I would have faster updates, more relevant updates, and more free memory.

I am puzzled why this is a problem and any help / explanations would be very much appreciated.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,689 Superusers
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    @AlanR47

The Full Europe Map size 8.9GB exceeding the on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    For the larger Maps like the Full Europe map you need to install a Micro SDHC memory card
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card...The latest Full Europe Map is 8.9GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)

Maybe @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your Account
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running
    ATB YFM
    Hi YamFazMan

Appreciate your prompt reply.

I thought my Start 52 only had 8GB of internal memory and was puzzled by your point the full Europe map was in excess of this value - maybe I got 16GB or something. MyDrive only says I got 423MB free but does not say out of how much.

You are dead right on all the good reasons why I want just UK&ROI and am happy to dump EU, yes I did vote leave but that's not really why I want to get rid of the EU. I just do not and never will want to drive outside the UK and for all your good points above see no point in retaining that mapping ability.

Many thanks for your reply - and I too hope that one of the Moderators catches this and can sort me out.
    Hi @AlanR47

The Start 52 does have 16gb of internal memory.if the serial number starts with one of the following, EV, EW, XU, XV, XW, XY whereas the Start 52 units with serial numbers starting with one of these 2 letters ET, EU, XQ, XR, XS, XT have only 8gb internal memory.

From what you say you clearly have a lot on your internal memory and the puzzling thing is what European map you have on it as what @YamFazMan has said re the Full European map size is true. Clearly it would not fit on your internal memory if you only have 8gb but what is also odd is that if you have 16gb of internal memory with the European map and the operating software and cameras etc I would expect you to have much more than 423 mb left. I have a unit with Europe on the internal memory along with another reasonably sized map and I have 2.94 GB of space.

Can you please advise us the first 2 letters of the serial number and also on the Start 52 Tap Menu and then Scroll to the right and Tap on the ? in the Blue Circle and advise us the name of the map and its date also the Amount of Free Space shown both Internal and External if a memory card has been fitted.

Once we have that data then if a UK & Poi is allocated to you then we can say if there are any things you need to consider when trying to load it.

Doug
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    @AlanR47

Oops sorry I didn't read the full thread I only read the thread from the post above my Post (Post 6 in the thread)y
    I thought you were having trouble with the NAV4 device and the 8GB on-board Memory and its restrictions for installing Maps

ATB YFM
    Hi thanks for your input - feel like I'm getting somewhere.

Down to data - my serial number begins XR.....

My map is 'Europe' v1025.9415 (Released 01/2019)

Free space 443 MB Internal memory

and in case it helps Application version is 18.203.0026.311 (0) (05/04/2019)

Looking forward to next reply...
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    @AlanR47

Your device is....

Click on Image to enlarge....
    zuq706edd25t.jpg
    See what the Moderators say in the morning....

ATB YFM
    Hi @AlanR47

I would like to recommend something to you which you may find odd but there is a very good reason.

If you are allocated a Uk map can you please buy a Micro SD Class 10 memory card size 16GB, the max is 32gb but you don't need that. My reason is that having this installed could help you in the event of possible problems later on and also can be used to help install the UK map.

You cannot uninstall the Europe map so that you can install the UK map. It is an inbuilt safety factor as your Start 52 needs a map to start up.

Once you install the extra memory you can download the Uk map and it will go on the extra memory as it will not fit on the internal memory as there is not enough room. You will now be able to select the UK map and use that.

Now at some time, probably in the not too distant future the Europe map will become too big for the internal memory and if you up date it then it will move to the extra memory. At this point you can uninstall the UK map. and then turn the unit off and on again and then reinstall it as the Europe map has move you have enough room on the internal memory the UK map will load there.

Now although you have the map where you would like it you should still retain the Europe Map as well. The reason is if during an update of the UK map you have a problem you could finish with no map on the internal memory. Your unit will still start up as you have the map on the extra memory and you can now reinstall the UK map again after the failure.

Hope that makes sense the aim is never to not have a map on the unit.

Doug.
    Yamfazman - let us indeed see what the moderators say in the morning.

Thank you for your help.
    Thank you Doug - here goes with my reply

paragraph 3 "You cannot..." surely I can if I get a small map (Venezuela seems a popular one) and load that hoping it fits what memory I have left, then delete EU, then install UK?

If this is the case then I would need UK&ROI and Venezuela, and would perform the following.

Install Venezuela (and leave permanently installed)
    Delete EU
    Install UK&ROI
    and this circumvents buying SDHC card??

So yes - the rest of your reply seems to make sense. I guess its buying the SDHC card to permit juggling and act as backup should any future UK update go south, but without the necessity of Venezuela.

That explains why at the moment I am not being offered opportunity to delete the EU map (whether or not I get UK registered) due to necessity of having at least one map.

Thank you Doug for your replies so far, lets hope as Yamfazman says, the Moderators pick up on this thread in the morning and help me out.
    Hi Doug

Pleased to say all working good now
    Extra memory card installed
    UK&ROI map installed

Now got 442MB internal free, and 15.39 GB on card

Thank you for all your help - and others who have contributed - its been most welcome as I get to grips with my new device RIP ONE

Hi @AlanR47

If I was you I would download the Europe map to the Extra memory crd and keep it there as a backup in case you have a problem with the UK Map. My thinking is if you only have the UK map on the internal memory and there is an interruption or a problem during any update you could find that map disappears. With the extra memory having a map you can start the Unit and install the UK Map.

Doug
    Hi

Raises the question - what control (if any) do I have on where the map downloads to.

I like your reasoning about having the backup EU map on the card and the UK map on internal memory.

At present I believe I have the EU map is on internal memory and UK on the 16GB card.

So at the next EU update if I understand you the EU map will download to the card (seeing old EU on internal and reasoning it wont fit) and share it with UK.? This will free the internal memory which at the next UK update is where the new version will go? Please excuse what might seem a dumb question.

Is there anywhere a nice explanation of how TomTom manage internal vs card memory or is what you're telling me gleaned over many years of experience and investigating?

I have selected to use the UK map - will the clever MyDrive know this and only offer updates for what it can see I am using?

Anyway - thank you for your help - for the time being I got what seems the most sensible setup.

Hi @AlanR47

The Tomtom units default to loading Maps or Map updates to the internal memory. The update that you want to add to your unit is first loaded to the PC then it deletes the Old map and loads the update. When it goes to load the update it first looks at the space on your`internal memory with the old map removed and if there is not sufficient space then it turns to the Extra memory.

In your case I would now if offered an update for the European map I would do the update and see if it has switched memories. If it has then go into MyDrive Connect and uninstall the UK & ROI. which you will now be able to do, turn the unit Off and On and reconnect to MDC. Now install the UK & ROI map.and because you will now have lots of space on the internal memory it will load the map there. One benefit of there being more free internal memory is there is the possibility of slightly better operational performance.

I am not sure you will be offered any updates for the UK & ROI map.

Doug
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    @AlanR47

If you Click on 'My Content' and scroll down you are offered more options
    On the Map Image Click on the small 'V' Icon for the extra options

Click on Image to enlarge....
    8nu6rzdes6bl.jpg

Choose... On-Device or Micro SDHC Card....
    b8nu5fbv935v.png
    Screen grabs from my NAV3 GO 825 Live

ATB YFM
    Doug

"I am not sure you will be offered any updates for the UK & ROI map."

Why do you say that? and if that is the case, how to do I get the latest UK&ROI map when one (inevitably) becomes available?