TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

go 5000 battery intermittently shows low

Even while driving, the device reflects battery low.
Even if it is charged while at home, as soon as power is removed it beeps and shoes battery low or very low, then empty and shuts down.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,229 Superuser
    Hi @StewartArturius

If you have been connecting it in your car using the Supplied Charger and not by connecting it to a USB socket or some other Charger then the likelihood is the Battery is failing.

A visit to Ebay etc for a battery and a look at videos on Youtube re fitting battery to GO5000 is you next step.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,244 Superusers
    Hi
    @StewartArturius

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

As a test...
    Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter

The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > Thumb's Up Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    @StewartArturius

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

As a test...
    Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter

The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

ATB YFM

Good day.
    the device is always connected to the cigarette lighter using the tomtom adapter.
    my vehicle is quite old and does not have luxuries like usb data connectors etc.
  • StewartArturiusStewartArturius Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @StewartArturius

If you have been connecting it in your car using the Supplied Charger and not by connecting it to a USB socket or some other Charger then the likelihood is the Battery is failing.

A visit to Ebay etc for a battery and a look at videos on Youtube re fitting battery to GO5000 is you next step.

Doug

i suspected as much.
    down here in south africa getting spare parts for anything is always a mission in itself. and the unreliability of our postal services has reached record proportions.

actually, this morning, the device would not switch on at all, even when connected to it's dock (which is connected to the vehicle using the tomtom device supplied with the unit).

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,229 Superuser
    Hi @StewartArturius

Just as a double check does it not start if you take the plug out of the Dock and plug it directly into the GO5000 on the bottom. Ignition on of course. =) =)

Doug
  • StewartArturiusStewartArturius Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Hi @StewartArturius

Doug

i suspected as much.
    down here in south africa getting spare parts for anything is always a mission in itself. and the unreliability of our postal services has reached record proportions.

actually, this morning, the device would not switch on at all, even when connected to it's dock (which is connected to the vehicle using the tomtom device supplied with the unit).
    Hi @StewartArturius

Just as a double check does it not start if you take the plug out of the Dock and plug it directly into the GO5000 on the bottom. Ignition on of course. =) =)

Doug

Tried that too, still nothing.
    Ah well, i guess i'll need to get a new unit.