6200 unusable when updates are available

I have had a 6200 for about 2 years with no issues. Updated a few weeks back and now system operation has become unstable to the point of unusable.
When there are any updates (maps/map shares/traffic/ anything else), the device will slow down, become unresponsive to touch, stall updating the screen while driving for 10-20 seconds at a time, go to a complete black screen for 10-20 seconds, then redraw the map, keep putting up the "updates available" notice even though not connected to wifi, will crash and reboot after 5 to 10 cycles of black screen - and is generally unusable.

Only after connecting the device to wifi, install available updates and then a complete reboot will stable operation be obtained.

Cant see anybody reporting similar issues - anybody seen anything like this?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,550 Superusers

Hi
    @srbutler

Firstly.... Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ???? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices like you’re GO 6200 normally update using Wi-Fi...
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Try Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

When you say a reboot. Do you mean just turn it off and on again, a Soft Reset or a Reset Device in Settings/System.

I would be tempted too do the latter Reset Device. Check all your Data ie MyPlaces and Poi and Route files you have loaded are Stored in your account by checking on MyDrive website. If they are there then they should sync back to the unit when you have reset it and input all your account and wifi details.

Doug
  • srbutlersrbutler Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the feedback. I've done the soft reset and this usually brings it back into a working state until it detects there is an update, and once that happens its hosed again.

I was holding off on the full device reset to see if there was any other advice. I will have to try that next I think.

Thanks,

Steve
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,550 Superusers
    edited May 13
    Hi
    @srbutler

Just a thought....
    Have you installed a vast number of maps ???
    The absolute bare minimum Free Space is 400MB... The more Free space available the the quicker the device will process the data
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About... Scroll down to Free space

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'