£200 Tom Tom Go 5100 with World Maps but not even enough space for Europe!!

I paid over £200 for this device thinking I could use it anywhere in the world but I have had to delete almost everything on it just to have space for Europe. I deleted all languages apart from one UK voice. I am going to France and want to make sure everything is updated but there isn't even enough space just to keep and update Europe on there. Please help!! I am wondering what I paid for? Feeling very ripped off as now I am being fobbed off into buying a storage card which I haven't got time or money for as I need the up to date France maps for use in a few days!

Help!!

Answers

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    You just need to put a 16GB memory card in the device and that will do the trick. The EU map used to be around 6.5GB, when that model was released and now it is over 8GB, hence there is not enough storage any longer.
  • yogabieneyogabiene Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thank you! I've ordered a 32GB Kingston Micro SD card and adaptor just in case!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,795 Superusers
    edited May 13
    Hi
    @yogabiene

The Full Europe Map size 8.9GB exceeding the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    For the larger Maps like the Full Europe map you need to install a Micro SDHC memory card
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card...The latest Full Europe Map is 8.9GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)

Install a small Map from your World Maps to the devices on-board Memory
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running
    ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'