Purchased subscription not visible on Go Mobile App - Page 3 — TomTom Community

Purchased subscription not visible on Go Mobile App

Answers

• SvenLaSvenLa Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi there!

Ik did Just purchase TomTom Go for Android for 12 months but I cannot redeem it in the app. Pushing at the button does not work. I've received a confirmation of Google Play and the app says redeem but nothing happens. My free KM are also gone so now I could not use the app. Help!

Same cause as everyone here? What to do?

Regards,

Sven
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,331 Superuser
    Hi @SvenLa

This is a known issue. Keep trying to redeem and if not resolved hopefully @lampard will come on here on Monday and sort you out if situation has not been resolved..

Doug
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 [Legendary Explorer]
    I'm waiting until I know the issue is resolved before I attempt it again. I don't want to waste TomTom's time or my own. I'd rather wait until I know for sure that the renewal is going to stick.

The thing that I still don't understand is why they wouldn't be working over the weekend if the problem is not resolved, which appears to be the case based on what @SvenLa posted. Maybe things are different in the US because over here, an issue that prevented user payments from being applied to their accounts would trigger non-stop overtime until it was resolved, weekends and holidays be damned, at least at any company I ever worked for.

That's not to say that we have it right, mind you. I often think Americans, especially of my own [older] generation, put too much emphasis on work. (The younger ones, not so much.) This is especially true for coders. I've been coding since the 1970's and have done many all-nighters and even 36-hour coding stretches for no reason other than that I didn't want to stop once I started. Even scarier, I'm not that unusual in that regard. So maybe we're the crazy ones.

Crazy or not, however, it's hard for me to wrap my brain around the idea of a software shop shutting down for the weekend when something that affects users' ability to use the software at all is broken. It would be pretty much unheard of here.
    Hi @GeekOnTheHill

I suggested that @SvenLa keep trying until Monday as who says they are not working on it over the weekend. @lampard is a Mod here who has been helping people whilst it is being sorted. He usually works weekdays.

Doug
    Thanks @DougLap. I'll keep trying (I'm a Dutch user) but so far, no success. I hope @lampard could help me this Monday because it's quite a shame that this is not working correctly for such a while.
  • coachman13coachman13 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have contacted you on several occasions but still nothing.
    No help has been forthcoming from you the funds have been sent to you for 1years upgrade it feels like I have been ripped off which dissapoints me with an organization like TomTom
    HI @coachman13

There is an issue at the moment and is being investigated by Tomtom. Can you advise when you paid subscription and keep trying until Monday in case the situation is resolved. If not resolved by Monday then @lampard may be able to sort you out temporarily until full solution achieved.

Doug
  • DennnnnDennnnn Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Same problem there money gone, subscription activation missing. As a thing that may be related - payment was made while phone was connected to the internet over wi-fi. While this should not make any difference.
  • GavinHGavinH Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
    Wish I had found this BEFORE renewing my GO subscription.
    Still not working today (12th May) and being a Sunday no one is available to live chat.
    Not impressed when this is a 'known' issue and not helpful when I need this sorted today!
  • GUYCROSSMANGUYCROSSMAN Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Tom TOM Go says Your purchase could not be completed.Please try again. But it never completes. ANy ideas?
    Hi @GUYCROSSMAN

A current issue being looked at by Tomtom. Keep trying from time to time in case they resolve it before tomorrow. If not hopefully @lampard will come on here and resolve this for you temporarily until the issue is fullly resolved

Doug
  • refrrefr Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    edited May 13
    Same issue, not able to redeem.
    Opened a support ticket on 06-05-2019 (19xxxx-xxxxxx)
    Really needed it to function the next day.., had to use google maps instead. (google maps actually did a pretty good job)
    Hope support will contact me soon.

Mod edit: Please do not post any personal information on a public forum!
    edited May 13
    refr wrote: »
    Opened a support ticket on 06-05-2019 (19xxxx-xxxxxx)
    Really needed it to function the next day.., had to use google maps instead. (google maps actually did a pretty good job)
    Hope support will contact me soon.

Google maps does work very well. I just despise Google and try to provide as little information as possible to them. Accordingly, I have Google Maps (along with Google Now, Google Assistant, and as many other Google services as possible) disabled in my phone.

Also, living in a rural area, Google's limitations on offline maps wouldn't be practical for my use in any case. Google limits offline maps because they can't spy on you if you turn off data services, and spying is Google's core business. They stopped being a search advertising company a long time ago. Nowadays their core business is data mining -- and they can't do that as well if you're navigating from an SD card.

I still have the extra days on TomTom because I haven't tried to renew again; and frankly, the longer this situation drags on, the less likely I am to do so. I like the app for the most part (other than that it won't work with the call channel on my car's Bluetooth, which is kind of a minor issue), I like their maps, I like their POI database, and I like their live traffic services; but I'm becoming less impressed with their application support with every passing day.

In TomTom's possible defense, however (only possible because I can't be certain about this), I wonder if the problem has something to do with the Google Play Store not properly passing on the payment information. It could be that TomTom's back end can't see the payment (or can see the payment, but not the customer who made the payment).

If they have the app coded to trigger the redemption flag on the app when the payment is completed, but Google isn't passing all the information on to TomTom in the way TomTom's server expects it to be sent, then their server would not be able to verify the payment to renew and update the customer's paid status in their database. The payment would still trigger the redemption flag in the app, but it wouldn't register with TomTom's servers to be verifiable.

That would be a tricky problem to fix. But if TomTom has some alternative way to pay that doesn't go through Google, it could be diagnosed by having a customer pay via that method to see if it properly renews the services. If so, it would not only isolate the problem to something on the Google Play end, but would also provide an interim payment workaround.

I have no idea whether any of this is true, by the way. It's just the musings of a geek who works with databases every day.
    Still no success with redeeming the purchase... Ik guess I have to wait for @lampard...
  • roski316roski316 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Wish I had seen this before I purchased a 12mth subscription. Think I will contact Google for a refund given how long this seems to have been going on for. Very disappointed as I liked the app.
    Hi @roski316

Someone else thought they could get their money back from Google and got nowhere. In the end they came back here and with the help of @lampard they got a temporary subscription whilst Tomtom try to sort out why the subscriptions being paid are not working through to them. Could be Googles fault!

Hopefully @lampard will be on here on Monday and sorts you out pending resolution of the problem.

Doug
  • Dogs1005Dogs1005 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    is this fixed because I am still having this same issue?
    I need this app for work and it hasn't been working now for a good couple of weeks.
    Dogs1005 wrote: »
    is this fixed because I am still having this same issue?
    I need this app for work and it hasn't been working now for a good couple of weeks.

If I were you, I'd download a free navigation app or a trial of a paid navigation app for now. Assuming a M-F work week, I doubt that you'll have TomTom back by the time you need to go to work Monday. Or use Google Maps for the time being if you don't mind being spied on.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,306 TomTom Moderator
    edited May 13
    @SvenLa @coachman13 @GavinH @Dennnnn @refr @roski316 @Dogs1005 @GUYCROSSMAN I've added temporary two weeks subscription on your account for a time being. If this doesn't show up straight away when you open the app, just restore the purchases on your Go Mobile.

This issue is still under investigation and for some users like AKhanNL, the purchased subscription is already assigned. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks, lampard
  • GavinHGavinH Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
    Not an ideal solution but thanks @lampard
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 243 [Exalted Navigator]
    It is just a thought.

Would it not be much easier for user to make payments directly to TomTom and bypass Google store completely?

That way there is no way for a payment to get lost or screwed up like what is happening now.

That also goes for getting the app from TomTom directly and cut out the middle man altogether.

I never understand way everything has to be linked to Google.

Yes you have to make your app by Google rules but then again why does it have to be their way.
    Thanks @lampard. Those 14 data are working. I'll wait for the final fix.
    Asprin wrote: »
    It is just a thought.

Would it not be much easier for user to make payments directly to TomTom and bypass Google store completely?

That way there is no way for a payment to get lost or screwed up like what is happening now.

That also goes for getting the app from TomTom directly and cut out the middle man altogether.

I never understand way everything has to be linked to Google.

Yes you have to make your app by Google rules but then again why does it have to be their way.

Allow me to throw in my two cents, since I was the one who pondered this possibility in an earlier post.

Last time I checked, it was part of Google's TOS that apps sold in the Google Play store had to be paid for through Google Pay, with very few exceptions. I don't think TomTom Go Mobile falls into any of them. There's a slight possibility that it might fall under a stretched interpretation of one of the exceptions if it will also run on non-Google Android devices such as those running Amazon Fire or CyanogenMod, but I don't think that's the case.

In other words, I wasn't saying that an alternative payment gateway actually exists, but rather wondering if one did, and suggesting that it might be useful for troubleshooting if that were the case.

Google is a very difficult company to do business with, not the least reason being because in Google's own eyes, Google does no wrong. If this is a Google Play problem, then the developers have my deepest sympathies.
  • Dogs1005Dogs1005 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    lampard wrote: »
    @SvenLa @coachman13 @GavinH @Dennnnn @refr @roski316 @Dogs1005 @GUYCROSSMAN I've added temporary two weeks subscription on your account for a time being. If this doesn't show up straight away when you open the app, just restore the purchases on your Go Mobile.

This issue is still under investigation and for some users like AKhanNL, the purchased subscription is already assigned. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks, lampard

Thanks Lampard. I'll be in touch in 2 weeks if it isn't fixed by then :)
  • AKhanNLAKhanNL Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Tom TOM Go says Your purchase could not be completed.Please try again. But it never completes. ANy ideas?

I had this issue before, with a recurring Google Play error 'DF-DFERH-01'. Are you getting the same?

There are a number of suggested solutions on how to handle DF-DFERH-01. Google these, however none of these solutions worked for me.

I worked around it by going into my Google Play settings to 'payment methods', and changing the payment method from credit card to bank wire. Then I returned to the app to purchase the subscription and it suddenly worked, so I could pay via bank wire.