How to know if faster route is available and how to choose it

I have a Via 1525TM device. Sometimes I hear it telling me about a traffic jam ahead, and sometimes it makes a loud ding-ding-ding noise, but this happens when I am driving on an interstate, and I can't tell whether there is a faster route, what the ding-ding-ding is trying to tell me, or how to select a different route *safely* while driving in heavy traffic at high speed.

I did not have this problem with my old XL 340: if there was traffic congestion, it would say something like "The current delay on your route is 25 minutes. There is another route that is 18 minutes faster. Do you want to take this route?" I would glance over and see big "Yes" and "No" buttons, so it was easy to select or reject the new route.

Is there anything similar for my Via? I have read the manual and have not seen anything that works as described there (although I can't look closely at my device when I'm driving). What do people typically do to safely select faster routes on a Via?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,750 TomTom Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @fala00_un44

Welcome to the community!

It completely depends on the route planning settings.

Which preferences have you selected here

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,750 TomTom Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @fala00_un44

Welcome to the community!

It completely depends on the route planning settings.

Which preferences have you selected here

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • fala00_un44fala00_un44 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    I already have "Ask me so I can choose" selected. But I do not hear my Via tell me or ask me anything: it does not tell me that a faster route is available and how much faster that route is, and it does not ask me to choose (as my XL 340 did).

While I'm driving, I can't look away from the road to figure out whether there is a "green route" (I've tried, but did not see one), what I need to do to take a faster route, what the current delay is, or how much faster the faster route is. Actually, looking at the picture in the manual for "Selecting a faster route", I still don't know what the numbers mean: Is the "-11" the current delay? It seems like there's not enough information in that picture to choose a faster route.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,793 Superuser
    Hi @fala00_un44

What settings have you got on your unit.

Can you go into Settings then Sounds and Warnings and select Warning type as Read aloud. Then scroll down and select the options you want including Read aloud Traffic warnings. Then go into Settings then Voices and select a Computer voice, not a recorded voice, and select what options you want .

You may find this helps you.

Doug.
    I already have "Read traffic warnings out loud" selected. That's probably why I hear warnings of traffic jams. But I guess the information about faster routes or the option to choose the faster route does not count as a "warning". The voice I already have selected is a computer voice.
    Hi @fala00_un44

Okay I assume that the setting Read early warnings is selected as well.. The only other warning you get is a ping when the green sign appears in the Route bar . and the details of any delays on the route in red.. The problem with the latter is that you can be aware of significant delays for some time but it may not be until you are nearing the problem that the faster Route (Green) sign appears.

Doug
    Thanks--I think I've seen the green decision symbol in the route bar, but not a green route (even when I tried to look for it). I don't know whether the green route appears as soon as the decision symbol does. The manual says, "If you've not already selected the faster route, as you approach the faster route it is shown on the guidance view in green." It does not say how I might have already selected the faster route, and I can't find that information anywhere.

Thanks for the information that the delays are shown in red--the manual shows minutes in red in route bar section, but it does not explain it. In fact, the manual does not explain a lot of stuff that it easily could by labeling the pictures better.

Unfortunately, I think this confirms is that I am pretty much out of luck in getting enough information to decide on whether I want to take the faster route (if it's going to be 3 minutes faster than a current delay of 15 minutes, it is not worth it, in my experience), and I probably would not be able to select it (even by just following the green, assuming I see it) if I have to look at the display for longer than a second to figure out where to go.

I actually called Tom Tom support some time ago to ask about this. I asked what most people did, and the support person said they usually pulled off the road to figure out the details of the delay and faster route and decide what to do. I don't really buy that. I was hoping that the forums could provide some solution that I was missing.

I think for safe driving, my only choice is to use the setting to always take the faster route rather than "ask me so I can choose". But I know that won't always be my preference. I do like a lot of things about the Via, but I sure miss how my XL handled the faster route stuff.
    Hi @fala00_un44

The green arrow appears in the route bar at the position the faster route will start so this may be up to a few miles ahead. You may get an option appear where you could click to accept it other wise as you approach the turn off it will be visible as a green route at the turning and if you take it then it will recalculate the route otherwise if you ignore the turning it just carries on as originally intended.

Doug
    Thanks. I have never seen the green route appear, but maybe I wasn't looking at the right time. Even if I see it, it does not give me the information I need to make an informed decision about whether to take the faster route. Maybe this works better if there's someone else besides the driver who can pay attention to the GPS.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,765 Superusers
    Hi
    @fala00_un44

The 1st Section of the Route planning Menu Screen applies when you have already planned a route and you are driving the Route
    On the Live Tomtom Devices 'When a faster route become available' the device will....
    Option... (1) = Don't ask me... Always take the Fastest route
    Option... (2) = Always ask me... Before taking the Fastest route
    Option... (3) = Don't Ask me at all... Stick to the planned Route

Route planning screen... Section (1)
    kxgfxxwo4v6x.jpg
    The 2nd Section of the Route planning Menu is the default Route planning type for ALL Route planning
    Option... (1) = Fastest route
    Option... (2) = Shortest route
    Option... (3) = Most eco-friendly route
    Etc... Etc...

Route planning screen... Section (2)
    2xefqogbgcgx.jpg
    The earlier Devices required me to enter my Route type every time, but at least 95% of my journeys I would choose the Fastest Route

The earlier NAV2/3 devices are Menu focused
    Asking all of the questions and button pushing at the start... Then device planned the route

The Latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices are Map Centric (Tomtom Speak)
    The Route planning has the highest priority (95% of the time I want the Fastest Route... Job Done)
    On the odd occasions I want something different, say I want to 'Avoid Motorways'...
    After Planning and Calculating the route
    I Tap the 4Dot (....) Menu --> Current Route --> Change route type... Choose Route Type required 'Like' (Avoid Motorways) the device recalculates the route avoiding Motorways

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

Firstly....
    For an Improvement on the later/latest NAV4/5(Wifi) devices, over the default settings try.....
    Use a Computer voice ... Here In the UK either Serena or Malcolm
    Also, Try.....
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    (1)... Warning Type... Set to... Read Allowed
    (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu i.e Serena UK)
    (2)... Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    (3)... The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    (4)... The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON

There is the Spoken Traffic Alternate Route warning

4289e5c6-2571-4ed2-b4a4-193a29abfe8a.jpgThere is also the feature Alternate route by steering... You may not have noticed the Green Info Blob on the Route Bar
    It's easy to miss can be hidden behind other Route Bar Icons (Tap on an Icon to expand the Route Bar)

701e396e-c2e8-4064-b45b-f5069ac8ec22.jpg
    If you Tap on the Green Blob the Preview screen opens showing the time saved and an overview of the Green Alternate route (May need to pinch Zoom-in for detail)

847b8315-1337-4494-9cbf-ebf5771f2e55.jpg
    When an Alternate route is found, a Green Blob with the time saved appears on the Route Bar (It's really easy to miss)
    Then at xxx yards before the Green Alternate route, the device gives a quick 'Dong' 'Dong' warning (In my opinion far too late to be able to change lanes etc...) at this point you are supposed to steer on to the new Green Route
    If you ignore the Green Route the device will continue along the original route
    If you follow the Green Route the driving instructions will switch to the new Green Route

ATB YFM

Thanks for your very detailed responses, YamFazMan. I already had the faster-route choices I need for Route Planning. I don't know that I've ever needed to change the route type after planning a route. My old XL device was good at choosing faster routes, but bad at putting me on toll roads even though it was set to ask me first.

I do have a computer voice, and it's set to read all the warnings aloud, which it does. I do not have a spoken "alternate route" warning that is spoken--I wish I did! I've heard a loud triple "ding", and I think that is to alert me to an alternate route, but it's not nearly as clear as in your picture. I don't know what device your pictures represent, but it has features that I don't see on mine. My device (Via 1525) also does not have pinch zooming.

The only thing I've seen on the route bar is a green "decision" symbol, but if other things like green blobs are easy to miss, then no doubt I have missed them (if they appear on my device). I will have to look more closely the next time I hear the "ding ding" (or "dong dong") to see if I see a green route. I think I have looked before and did not see one, but I will try again. As you say, if it's too late to change lanes, I would probably not be able to take it anyway. And steering onto the green route is probably the only option that would work for me, because I can't take my eyes off the road long enough to do all that tapping and zooming.

Your pictures are great--better than what is in the manual. Is there really a Wyre Piddle Bypass? (Sounds funny to American ears!). Thanks so much for taking the time to explain all this!
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 441 [Exalted Navigator]
    Yes, there really is a "Wyre Piddle By-Pass" and if you don't use it, you will get caught by the sneaky camera waiting to catch unsuspecting motorists who pass over a short section of road where cars are not allowed to use but over which buses (and presumably cyclists) can freely pass.
    BrianE
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,765 Superusers
    Hi
    @fala00_un44

Here's a few more funny/strange British place names....
    https://www.anglotopia.net/ultimate-list-of-funny-british-place-names/

ATB YFM