Entering DMS coordinates in GO for iOS12 — TomTom Community

Entering DMS coordinates in GO for iOS12

glw99glw99 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
Had some problems entering coordinates in DMS format on iPhone6 with iOS 12.2. I think I have resolved them, but I ask if this is correct, and will TomTom be taking action to fix?
1. GO app does not recognise left or right smart quotes, you must enter straight quotes. But from iOS 11 the phone's keyboard defaults to smart quotes, and the app's entry field underline turns red. Workaround is to switch off the phone's smart quotes in Settings/General/Keyboard.

Coordinate entry as per the on-screen example then goes ahead with a blue underline, but the app fails to read the coordinates, and does not deliver any suggested locations.

2. The second fix needed is the format of DMS entry: by experiment I discovered that the "d" shown in the example between the degree figures and the minutes figures is the problem - this should be replaced with a space - then all works correctly. So for example enter N52 26'34" W0 20'26" - not N52d26'34" W0d20'26"

Is this right? Is there a better fix?

Surely I'm not the first to experience the problem, but UK Customer Support didn't seem to recognise it. Apologies if this has already been dealt with, but I couldn't find any reference to it.

Best Answer

• PalfermanPalferman Posts: 102 [Revered Navigator]
    Accepted Answer
    Sorry been away for a while meant input the coordinates in decimal form

Answers

Not sure that there’s a better fix and Tom Tom are unlikely to do anything but so that you don’t have to change your phone settings in decimal form
    Accepted Answer
    Sorry been away for a while meant input the coordinates in decimal form
  • glw99glw99 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Thanks, Palferman. It just happened that my old Navigon box recorded coordinates in DMS format so I needed to manually copy them straight across. Anyhow, it's all done now.