3 year old unit suddenly unsupported — TomTom Community

3 year old unit suddenly unsupported

JakeHJakeH Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
Why am I unable to purchase an extended subscription for my satnav which is just 3 years old and is still being sold as part of NEW Smart cars!
Tagged:

Answers

• JakeHJakeH Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    ^^^ Apologies, I'm new to this sort of thing ... Satnav is integral to a SMART FOR4 which is just 3 years old. It appears Tomtom claim these units are "end of life", not now supported, subscription renewals not being accepted BUT the exactly similar units (same model) are installed in brand new SMART cars on sale right now.

Grateful if anyone is able to square this problem away.

Thanks
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,084 Superusers
    Hi
    @JakeH

Did you receive an Email notifying you of EOL "End of life"
    have you owned a previous earlier Tomtom Model... could it be another Tomtom device that you have owned ???

Find the model of your navigation device and what software it uses
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_GB

ATB YFM
    Good afternoon YamFazMan, thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. Things have moved on a tad since yesterday and I now have the proper serial No for my device in place of info which came from the Smart dealer! Seems that IJ units ARE still supported.

My guess is that problem may be down to the recent "Son of Millenium Bug" thing. I'll need to give that a go ....

Again, thanks for your interest. If you have any other insights I'd be grateful to hear.
  • andrew_smithandrew_smith Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    did you get a solution as i have the same problem 3 year old smart car with smart media system and no way to purchase a renewal. Smart and or tom tom are useless i am going round in circles
    Not really, Andrew. Helpful people on a 435 forum have suggested:-

1. Use USB loaded with downloaded file from SMART which supposedly will fix the issue (it didn't)
    2. Pressing "Home" button 5 times to hard reset unit (didn't work)
    3. Checking SMART maps SD card for updates before trying USB software fix again (currently WiP)
    4. Disconnect battery for a couple if minutes ...

I've also tried resetting unit to factory settings. That just screwed up the clocks!

Good luck. Please shout out if you get a fix ...
    I'll not say it was easy, it certainly wasn't quick, but that's my Media System and Sat Nav thing back up working.

Briefly, what I did was:-

1. Update laptop with new drivers (AVG - cost £25.00l

2. Follow SMART instructions save their files to clean USB

3. From Smart Connect, update files on the Maps SD card. In my case there were 4 updates to download.

The above took several hours to complete.

4. Follow instructions on starting engine, fitting USB then watched for screen to changed. It did!

Download seemed to progress as expected but took a while - say more than an hour. During that time, the Tomtom blank page took hold and just seemed to do nothing for, probably another 2 hours. After this, the whole system seemed to freeze totally. Screen blank, would neither switch on nor off - no idea of position it was in.

In desperation, was about to try the disconnect battery approach when radio started to play and a whole new download kicked in.

End result is success, system doing what it did before with Live services and clocks working properly. Clocks did need manual adjustment from a previously greyed out button.

All good.
  • DAVIDLOWDAVIDLOW Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    NO MAPS AVAILABLE ON MY SAT NAV
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,194 Superuser
    edited May 7
    Hi @DAVIDLOW

You have now made this post in three different topics. On your first one I gave you a suggestion. On your second one I asked if my suggestion was any good now we are no further ahead as lack of further information is not helping us to help you.

What does it say on your unit when you start it up and did following my suggestion not work..

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,084 Superusers
    Hi
    @DAVIDLOW

Doug is right there's no use in posting with a scatter gun approach
    People aren't going to chase around the Forum to follow you....

Click on the Link Doug offered... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034305/what-to-do-if-your-device-displays-no-maps-found/p1?new=1

ATB YFM