GO 6100. Unable to update to latest Europe map. NOT ENOUGH SPACE — TomTom Community

GO 6100. Unable to update to latest Europe map. NOT ENOUGH SPACE

Zimmerframe1955Zimmerframe1955 Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
edited May 2019 in Map installation
I have a GO 6100. I am trying to updated to the latest EU map. The MY Drive Connect software tells me that I need to free up some space on my device in order to install the latest update. I try to uninstall the earlier map. When I click OK, it tell me that I need a map on my device and will not allow me to uninstall! Yes, I know I do. Its a catch 22 situation. It also recommends adding an SD card as expansion. Is this REALLY necessary on a device with supposedly Lifetime updates?

My older inbuilt TomTom uses TOMTOM Home for its updates. It automatically removes old maps and installs newer versions. It seems that My Drive Connect does not.

I have always found the TomTom update software to be very flaky and slow. It has never inspired confidence and even with newer devices/software, stupid bugs seem to exist.

Am I missing something

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,455 Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Zimmerframe1955

You can get a lot of maps on the 8gb internal memory and up to 32gb extra memory and still have room for updates. I have the Venezuela map on my unit to ensure I have a Map on my internal memory and it is only 29mb. In any case when you have a number of maps you can delete those you don't need and replace them with others if space becomes a problem.

Doug
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Zimmerframe1955

Great to hear you seem to be making progress.

When the update is finished then the unit should operate just as it did with the map on the internal memory.

Please when you have finished the update do the soft Reset then go back into MyDrive Connect and download the map Vikram has added to your account. When you ahem done this you could go into Settings/Maps and decide to Change the map you use to the UK & ROI one if you want and Vice versa.

Re the question of updates these will still be offered about every 3 months and make sure you do them one at a time.

By now you will have got the idea of what to do as like many of us it all seems a bit of a mystery when you first start.

All the best

Doug

Answers

• Zimmerframe1955Zimmerframe1955 Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Thanks for your reply DougLap. What I was attempting to do was to uninstall the existing map (revision 12 I think) and install revision 15 at the same time using the add/remove software section of MyDrive Connect. It was around 6.7Gb. I show only 229Mb free space with the old map currently installed. Clearly not enough. Can I not remove it and install the update at the same time? That would be the sensible thing to do surely? Do I have to buy an expansion card just to continue to be able to install updates? That sound a bit wrong. What happens down the line when that gets filled with future updates?
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,849 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @Zimmerframe1955

A small map of UK and ROI has been added to your account.

Regards
    Vikram
    Hi Vikram. Yes I see that. I have now also bought a micro SD card, (at a cost of £24). 64 Gb SanDisk. The Go6100 does not recognise it. I go to the device system settings to try to format it but it is not seen.

It really really, REALLY should not be this difficult to update the device!
    Oh hell,

Lets hope the shop will exchange it.

As I have said, It should not be this difficult to carry out an update to the device. The online instructions are not clear enough and it does not say in the online instructions that it only accepts up to 32Gb. I bought a 64Gb card reasoning that it should have ample capacity for many future "upgrades"...

Ho hum
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Zimmerframe1955

You can get a lot of maps on the 8gb internal memory and up to 32gb extra memory and still have room for updates. I have the Venezuela map on my unit to ensure I have a Map on my internal memory and it is only 29mb. In any case when you have a number of maps you can delete those you don't need and replace them with others if space becomes a problem.

Doug
    Hi DougLap,

I have exchanged the 64Gb card for a 32Gb card. The device has formatted it, (for maps storage) and it appears to be working. It is now downloading the map updates.

Will it automatically use the latest version of the maps? Is there any other configuration that needs to be done?

Thanks for your help. but please feedback if you can the frustrations I encountered. Anyone who is not at all tech savvy would really struggle keeping their devices up to date.

Kind regards

Dave
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Zimmerframe1955

Great to hear you seem to be making progress.

When the update is finished then the unit should operate just as it did with the map on the internal memory.

Please when you have finished the update do the soft Reset then go back into MyDrive Connect and download the map Vikram has added to your account. When you ahem done this you could go into Settings/Maps and decide to Change the map you use to the UK & ROI one if you want and Vice versa.

Re the question of updates these will still be offered about every 3 months and make sure you do them one at a time.

By now you will have got the idea of what to do as like many of us it all seems a bit of a mystery when you first start.

All the best

Doug
    Thanks for your help Doug. I got there in the end. Yes, it gave me the option once installed, to select which map I wanted to use.

Thanks again,

Dave