Updating/Lack of space — TomTom Community

Updating/Lack of space

rsrm0321rsrm0321 Posts: 8 [Master Traveler]
edited May 6 in MyDrive Connect
My Tom Tom Go 60 is a little over a year old. I only use it to get around my community or a town 2 hours away. I don’t drive it out of state. I have 27 addresses stored in it. Months ago I tried updating via lap top on the site Tom Tom Go 60 and it said I didn’t have enough space. I tried deleting voices and maps. Nothing worked. Today I went into the site Tom Tom My Drive. I clicked on My Device which said I was up to date. After clicking on the other tabs at top and going back to My Device, it then said I had 3 updates. Because of “lack of space” I only chose the Community update which it let me update. I did not update US/Canada/Mexico maps or Voices. Why if I only have 27 addresses stored and I delete my recent destination don’t I have space?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,940 Superuser
    edited April 30
    Hi @rsrm0321

It is likely that your map has now expanded to the extent it will not fit on the internal memory.

To update your unit you need to download from Tomtom's website the Tomtom MyDrive Connect software.

Boot the software up with the unit connected to your Computer. log in to your account and it should .show you how many update you have for your unit. If there is an Operating Software update then do that one first. The you should look at doing any Map update. If it tells you that you do not have enough space then you need to install a Micro SD Class 10 card, Sandisk, Samsung or similar major maker from a reliable source to avoid fakes. Install the card and format it on the unit for Maps and then you should find the updates will progress properly.

All the best.

Doug
  • rsrm0321rsrm0321 Posts: 8 [Master Traveler]
    Does this mean I have to put it INSIDE my Tom Tom Go 60? I don't see any screws on the entire black plastic case.
    There is a little slot that looks like where a USB would be put. I have a Sandisk Cruzer 4B memory USB stick which is too big to fit in that slot. So could go I to Target or Walmart and look for a Micro SD Class 10 card in a name brand.. So this card is not like a memory stick right? So would I then just leave it in that little slot?
    edited April 30
    Hi @rsrm0321

I think you will find if you look on the bottom of the unit the serial number is at one end and there is a tiny slot next to it which is the memory slot. The Micro USB socket that the cable you have attached to the GO 60 holder will fit is at the other end on the bottom.

You press the Micro Card in until it clicks. To get it out again you have to push it in first to release it. A memory stick will not fit or work.

You should be able to get it from target /Walmart/Amazon etc.

a 16gb or Max 32gb card is what you want. The following is an example of what you want.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SanDisk-Ultra-PLUS-16GB-microSD-Card-Class-10-Mobile/52329612

Its about the size of your thumb nail.

Doug
    Thanks for all the specific info. I've copied and saved this info. When I get this micro card I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your time.
    Hi @rsrm0321

One thing you should keep in mind is that when you have added the Extra memory and the map then downloads it will be on your extra memory. This means that you do not have a Map on your internal memory. This has the advantage that the unit may work slightly faster with more free internal memory but the downside is if you have a problem with the Extra memory card you have no map on the unit to enable it to boot up.

The solution is to contact Customer support once you are sorted and ask them if they would add a small map to your account. It does not matter what it is it is just so that when you load it the map will go on your internal memory. This then stays there as a keeper and helps ensure you are unlikely to have the NO Map Available situation.

Doug
    Thanks Doug. I got the memory card you suggested. Formatted it and was able to do my updates. My content is US/Canada/Mexico maps, voices, safety cameras. And I downloaded Nav4 update. I'm not quite sure what you mean by internal memory. All I really want it to do is get around the state of Pennsylvania.

I promise you this will be my last question to bother you with. Do I leave that memory card in the GPS while driving? For me to format it I had to hold it tightly in. If I have to drive with in the GPS all the if I should just hold it in with scotch tape.

If you tell me how I can give you stars as I see on the web site, please let me know how to do that.
    edited May 5
    Hi @rsrm0321

The extra memory card needs to be pushed in until it clicks then it will not come out. It may help to push it gently with something as you fingers will be too big. Then to get it out you first have to push it in to release it and it will pop up a bit so you can get it with your fingers...

Yes leave the card in but if you are not sure about the card staying in seek some help from a PC shop etc. or a 5 year old =) =) =) works for me.

Your GO60 has a memory chip inside which is 8gb in size. This then holds all the operating software and when you bought the unit the map as well. The maps are getting bigger with more data in them and so now you use the available extra memory slot to add up to 32gb of extra memory. The unit will always seek to add maps etc to the internal memory but come the day it needs the extra memory card.

Now don't forget the small map to add to your internal memory so that if you have any problem with an update and it affects your map on the extra memory your unit will still have a map on the internal memory so will start okay. I have flagged @VikramK to see if he will add a small map to your account . Keep an eye here to see if he does. It will then appear in My Contents in MyDrive Connect and when you load it it will go on the internal memory. Once loaded you don't need to do anything with it you just leave it alone.

Don't worry about stars, just click the Like option at the bottom of any of my posts that helped you. I am just pleased to help.

All the best

Doug