TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

Can not connect to GPS signal

Message - "waiting for valid GPS signal"

Answers

• lindy_lou59lindy_lou59 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Any ideas on how to solve this problem
  • lindy_lou59lindy_lou59 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Sat nav is just searching for gps signal have reset my sat nav but problem is still there
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,214 Superuser
    Hi @lindy_lou59

What Sat nav?

Doug
  • fred66_un86fred66_un86 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    For 3 weeks now I can't get a valid GPS Signal in the Wiesbaden area.
    I've had to rely on my iphone instead.
    I have done,soft and hard resets nothing works on my Tom Tom Via 135.

So while the Tom Tom is searching for a signal my phone mapping app has no issue.
  • AllieTeeAllieTee Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Well so far all I can deem is that this seems to be a fairly common problem but so far one without a solution.
    I have done a complete factory reset, installed all updates, left on charge, left in windows but all to no avail!
    Please does anyone have a solution?
    edited April 25
    HI @AllieTee

It is recommended that you take the unit outside and away from any building into an area with a clear view of the sky and after doing a Soft Reset, ie with the unit on hold the ON/OFF button down until you hear a drumroll sound, release the button. Then create and start a route on the unit but do not move the unit while it is searching.

It can take quite some time fo the unit to lock on so make sure it is fully charged before you start. .

Doug
    Hi Doug,
    Many thanks for the suggestion.
    I'll give it a try & let you know how I get on.
    edited April 25
    HI @AllieTee

Was your Unit regularly used before this situation arose or has it been put away for a long time as it was not required. I mean maybe months.

Doug
    Hi,
    No it has been used fairly regularly, at least I think so..........
    At least once a fortnight.
    The problem started on Saturday when it was in use. It tempoararily switched off then came back on again then a few moments later is just started "waiting to connect to a valid GPS signal" & has been stuck like that ever since.
    Hi @AllieTee

Can you have a look to see how much free memory the unit has on the internal memory.and do you have extra memory installed.

Doug
    I'll give it a go........... but no, I don't have extra installed
    edited April 25
    HI @AllieTee

If you have less than 400mb of free internal memory then it may be an idea to get some extra memory. The unit needs the free space for operational purposes. It may not be the cause here but worth keeping an eye on.

Doug
    Ok, thanks for the tip
  • bigboy1912bigboy1912 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    how do I re connect the gps signal to tom tom start 25
    Hi @bigboy1912

Have you not used it for a long time ie years?

Otherwise try the following.

Firstly Fully Charge it, then move outside well away from Buildings and Trees.

Now turn the unit on and when working do a Soft Reset, ie Hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds until you hear the drumroll sound.then release the button.

Now set a route up and get it ready for the off.

Now leave it to try and Lock on which can take quite a long time, as much as 30 minutes, for the first time. It you can provide a power source that would be useful but the unit should not be enclosed in anything diuring this process.

All the best.

Doug
  • ajl165ajl165 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Anyone can help me? I have Tom Tom Start 25 and it doesn't connect either. It is true that we don't use it regularly, but last month it was working fine and now it just won't connect and keeps searching for GPS signal. The problem is that I tried to update it via My Connect and that doesn't work either. It says downloading updates and then it says servers are overloaded or something and it quits without installing new updated :( I'm desperate. Please tell me what to do to install updates and make it work again.
    edited May 4
    HI @ajl165

Is it possible that the map update is now too large for the internal memory and you need to add a Micro Sd class memory card, 16gb or max 32gb so that the unit then can load the map there.

Regarding trying to connect to the GPS signal try the following.

Fully charge the unit then take it outside away from buildings and trees..

Now do a Soft Reset ie turn the unit on and when working hold the ON/OFF button down for about 0seconds until you hear the drumroll sound.

Now create a route and when it should be ready to work I you were to start to drive then leave it in the open for as much as 30 minutes plus to see if it locks onto the Sats. If you can provide a charging facility whilst it is doing this even better.

Doug
  • ajl165ajl165 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Hey Doug,

thank you for your reply. I posted this in another thread, but as some other user advised, I had to uninstall and re-download My Drive Connect and it updated the device just fine after reinstalling it. However, I shouldn't have to do that since My Drive Connect updated itself right after I turned it on couple days ago. *shrug*

Thanks for your tip about GPS signal, I will give it a try today.