Rider Pro 4GD00 model - Can I add a Zone instead of replacing an existing one — TomTom Community

Rider Pro 4GD00 model - Can I add a Zone instead of replacing an existing one

HabolHabol Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
First experience of my new (older model) Rider is great. One issue which can hopefully be resolved. My Europe Life Time Update map is divided in zones. None of them covers all the zones for my next travel (NL, Belgium, Germany, France, Italy and Spain). It seems that in TomTom home I can only replace zones and not add one. Even with enough memory space. Do other users have faced the same issue and is it possibly to overcome it? Look forward to a smart solution

Best Answer

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,176
    Superuser
    Hi @Habol

I suspect this is not a solution you will want as it still need the use of a PC but if I remember rightly when I downloaded all the available Mapzones to my PC I could then change the Mapzone on my TT unit without the PC needing Internet connection.

Doug
  • HabolHabol Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    Thank you Doug and indeed still need a PC, however for one or other reason I cannot get multiple zones copied into my TT. For example if I add Central Zone from my PC to TT it takes away South Eastern Zone or vice versa. It should be possible to have multiple zones in TT if the memory size allows you to
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,176
    Superuser
    edited May 2019
    Hi @Habol

No that will not work. The reason Mapzones were introduced was when the Maps started , for the first time, to exceed the memory capabilities of the Units which had little internal memory and usually no ability to add any extra memory.

So to enable users to be able to continue using their units Tomtom split the Map up into regions so that people could still cover the whole map area but would have to do it in smaller maps. If you download all the Mapzones on your unit it would take up more than the Map they replace.

The problem is that if you decide to only download say 2 regions and put one on and then swop them when you need to then you had to have an Internet connection to the Tomtom servers to do it. Downloading all the maps to the PC so they are stored there for when needed this enabled you to swap without having to connect to the Tomtom servers.

Doug
    Doug I read you are really into the subject and I understand what you say. It is as I read your comments very much a memory issue. The 1 extra maps I want to install is 1285 mb in size, my total memory is 3716 mb and it says 2053 mb available space. So in my view it should be able to work or do I oversee something?
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,891 Moderator
    edited May 2019
    Hi @Habol

It's not possible to install countries of your preference.

If you are going to travel with your laptop or computer then as a workaround you would be able to install the zone on your device first and back them up on your computer.

And when you travel just restore or change the map from the back up which is available on your computer.

Regards
    Vikram :)
    Thanks Vikram and cleatr to me. Since I have my TT rider for my motor bike I will travel without a Laptop. Think the only option I have is to buy Western Europe since it says 2500 mb and that should fit as one map. Then I can do my travel without looking for a desktop, on which I would need to install TT home first.

Regards,
    Hans