Cannot install mapzone — TomTom Community

Cannot install mapzone

JassyNLJassyNL Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
edited October 4 in Map installation
As the 10.25 Europe Map is too big for the internal storage of my TomTom Go 51, I wanted to install a map zone instead of the full map. However, I do not get that possibility in Mydrive Connect.

Is it still possible to install map zones or is this not offered anymore?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• JassyNLJassyNL Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Thank you both!
    Lochfrass wrote: »

No this does not work :-( that is confusing me.
    LAURE123 wrote: »
    Hi all

@JassyNL

EU maps, even with fewer buildings, have become too big for the on-board memory (8GB) of our devices. The operation of the device is blocked by the lack of free space.

The EU map (full or zone) must be installed on a micro SD card class 10 of minimum 16GB (max 32GB).

Regards.

Thanks! I am not interested in the buildings either. I presumed it was possible to install these map zones to circumvent the problem of installing a SD Card. I do not need Scandinavia or Greece on my TomTom. The FAQ in above posting stated that this should be possible. It could be that TT has discontinued this option but then the FAQ should be removed also.

For now I have installed the EU card with Scandinavian buildings (sic!) as this is fitting onto my Go 51 perfectly well.
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 9,558 Superuser
    JassyNL wrote: »
    The FAQ in above posting stated that this should be possible. It could be that TT has discontinued this option but then the FAQ should be removed also.
    I agree with you.
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,401 Superuser
    @JassyNL

This FAQ is always useful. Look at this topic that's what I do with my GO5100.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1241492/#Comment_1241492

Regards.
    Thanks for the guides, which are still not really helping me with the unavailability of the map zones.

As I only have a spare 64GB SD Card left, which is too big for the device, I will deal with the Scandinavian buildings card for now, which leaves me barely 54MB of free space left on the device. Well... It is better than nothing.

For the new update round I will have to add a memory card that suites the device..

Thanks for your help on this matter!
  • SausagesSausages Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    I've got the G06100 and just tried to update the map and can't. This is extremely poor. The sat nav itself usually works perfectly and I wouldn't dream of using another sat nav as Tom Tom have constantly proven to be the best sat nav, especially for traffic. However to proclaim "Lifetime maps" and then produce one you can't put onto your system is ridiculous. My only option was to download the Europe and Scando buildings. No good for the UK, not that I'm all that bothered about buildings but there's no map that;s withiout buildings apart from a whole europe map that's even bigger! Also the Sat Nav is starting to go very slow and often stops completely and reboots. It's only a couple of years old this just isn't good enough.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,191 Superuser
    Hi @Sausages

The maps have been becoming larger and larger and so fitting them on the internal memory has become a problem

The simple answer is to Purchase a Micro Sd card for your unit, I suggest a Sandisk 16 or 32gb Class 10 card, then you can ask for the full Europe with Buildings map to be loaded and it will go on the New Card leaving plenty of room for the System software etc on the internal memory and so may well speed up your unit.

Doug
    I have called Customer Service today and they confirmed that TomTom has dropped support for Map Zones and that you can only install full Europe Maps.

This is in my opinion very poor and not customer friendly. Of course, you can add a SD Card to install the latest map but why is the option that only a part of Europe can be loaded to the device ditched?!

A 16GB SD Card is not a big expense but I really hope it does not slow down the device.... Then I will stick to my Scandinavian Map which fits perfectly on the device.
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 9,558 Superuser
    Thanks for the Info
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,159 TomTom Moderator
    edited March 6
    Hi @JassyNL

I think there seems to be some miscommunication here.

Map zones are still offered for download but the installation depends on whether the device has enough space to accommodate the map.

A 8Gig memory card should be enough to install a particular Europe map zone. But I would recommend a 16Gig as this will allow you to install full map without the hazzle to install different zones several times when your travel requirements change.

Regards
    Vikram :)
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @JassyNL

I think there seems to be some miscommunication here.

Map zones are still offered for download but the installation depends on whether the device has enough space to accommodate the map.

A 8Gig memory card should be enough to install a particular Europe map zone. But I would recommend a 16Gig as this will allow you to install full map without the hazzle to install different zones several times when your travel requirements change.

Regards
    Vikram :)

Hi Vikram,

So for Europe I only can choose between Full Europe maps with different buildings or the Full Europe Map without buildings. There is no option to install just Europe North, West, South, or whatsoever. Has this not been added my account or something like that?

If I try to install the Full Europe map without buildings, it is only offering me to install a Full Europe map with buildings instead of the map zones.

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,191 Superuser
    edited March 6
    Hi @JassyNL

When you connect your unit to the Computer and load up MyDrive connect, if you then click on Content and look at the map it has loaded on it does it not have bottom right of the Map image the word Change. If you click on that then you get a description of wjhat you have and on the right a Change button. If you click this it gives you a list of the available European maps with and without buildings.

I would suggest you add a 16gb Micro Sd Card and load the Full Europe with buildings if you want them. It will not slow your unit down from its current speed.

Doug
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @JassyNL

When you connect your unit to the Computer and load up MyDrive connect, if you then click on Content and look at the map it has loaded on it does it not have bottom right of the Map image the word Change. If you click on that then you get a description of wjhat you have and on the right a Change button. If you click this it gives you a list of the available European maps with and without buildings.

I would suggest you add a 16gb Micro Sd Card and load the Full Europe with buildings if you want them. It will not slow your unit down from its current speed.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Unfortunatelly this is not offered to me. Just full maps with other buildings but no mapzones.

i gave up and installed a 16GB SD Card to the unit, which is working quite well to my own surprise.
  • KBEllisonKBEllison Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I recently found that map "zones" are no longer offered for my XXL. I think that with the uproar of breaching the Lifetime maps, TT is now in effect saying "OK, here's your *@#! map" and you get the full version, no more smaller zones - that option has magically disappeared - and when it doesn't fit, "oh well". It's as if they're trying to disable your old GPS using a very back-handed way - and avoid any class action lawsuit that may have been on the way.

It's almost as dishonest as removing the "Operate my XL" feature from TT-Home, yet leaving the other functions? If the software really changed that much, you'd take it all away, not just one popular selection. The fact that you install an earlier working version of TT-Home but it immediately forces you to update to the newer, hamstrung version - shows ill intent.

I like my TT XL, and might have considered a new TT unit, but no where can I see what the End-Of-life dates are on the new models (like Microsoft tells you when their OS will reach EOL). I won't buy a new unit only to have EOL issues in 4 years or so!

So, I'll continue to use the cracks and hacks to keep my XL going. Keep good backups in case you need to step back!
  • MRQ_SATNAV1MRQ_SATNAV1 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    KBEllison wrote: »
    I recently found that map "zones" are no longer offered for my XXL. I think that with the uproar of breaching the Lifetime maps, TT is now in effect saying "OK, here's your *@#! map" and you get the full version, no more smaller zones - that option has magically disappeared - and when it doesn't fit, "oh well". It's as if they're trying to disable your old GPS using a very back-handed way - and avoid any class action lawsuit that may have been on the way.

It's almost as dishonest as removing the "Operate my XL" feature from TT-Home, yet leaving the other functions? If the software really changed that much, you'd take it all away, not just one popular selection. The fact that you install an earlier working version of TT-Home but it immediately forces you to update to the newer, hamstrung version - shows ill intent.

I like my TT XL, and might have considered a new TT unit, but no where can I see what the End-Of-life dates are on the new models (like Microsoft tells you when their OS will reach EOL). I won't buy a new unit only to have EOL issues in 4 years or so!

So, I'll continue to use the cracks and hacks to keep my XL going. Keep good backups in case you need to step back!

Completely agree... They seem to be pulling the same stunt with the Go 1000 now - a version of the map is offered that CANNOT fit on the unit and the latest version of MyDrive appears to be crippled such that it just WON'T allow either material to be removed/modified from the device NOR will it allow the smaller zones to be loaded - even though it 'pretends' that's an option.

I've got to the point now (actually I did quite a while back) where I just don't trust TomTom... And I've been a user since the days when it was an app for the Palm Treo! At one point having over 20 units for my business! - This sort of stunt 'fools' few pople- and is basically just dishonest.

And they've the B****y cheek to try and upsell me a £230-odd 'replacement' unit as if that was some sort of favour they're doing me! NO Chance!