WNRO effect on the RIDER — TomTom Community

WNRO effect on the RIDER

RichardCerrigRichardCerrig Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
edited May 2 in RIDER
I have just received an email from TomTom telling me I can no longer see the time or time to destination due to WNRO. Apparently this has been known if for some time but no one at TomTom saw fit to provide a fix beforehand. To add insult to injury I was told I could either wait to see if an update was possible or spend £320 for a new device. Printable words fail me.
Tagged:

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,331 Superuser
    Hi @richardcerrig

Tomtom have been sending out emails for some time now about the WNRO problem however it appears that there is still a particular problem with some Rider models which they are currently trying to resolve. All the other Tomtom PDN's have had updates available for some time.

Hopefully a resolution is found soon.

Doug
  • RichardCerrigRichardCerrig Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Doug
    Thanks for replying so quickly. My point is that this surely can’t be a surprise and should have been resolved for all devices well before April this year. I believe Garmin has managed to get their devices sorted so TomTom’s failure to do so is rather disappointing.
    All the best
    Richard
  • tiljestiljes Posts: 218 [Exalted Navigator]
    Garmin failed on the Zumo 660 as well...
    It’s enough to make you despair of buying a decent device
  • Xz_9Kjell_ithgfuj7Xz_9Kjell_ithgfuj7 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I got an e-mail from Tomtom informing me about the comming WNRO.

Followed the instructions and checked my Tomtom Rider serial number.

The result was that it would not have. problems after the roll out.

But it has!
    No working clock and no ETA.

The 20% off on a new 550 is like taking an Aspirin to cure a Shotgun wound!

Well here we are nearly through May and apparently still no fix in sight. What could be the causing the delay? Some suggestions:-
    1. Tomtom are unable to fix the problem but are unwilling to admit it - not a particularly good advertisement for their products
    2. Tomtom can fix it but it would cost too much in time and/or resources for a product they no longer sell i.e. there is nothing in it for them
    3. Tomtom are more than capable of fixing the problem but are hanging on to see how many people will blink first and buy their discounted 550 model
    Whichever is the actual reason it shows that Tomtom has a flagrant disregard for its customer base - if nothing else it should at least be providing weekly updates to those of us waiting for the answer
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 320 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Or TomTom is dependent on the external GPS chip supplier Qualcomm to deliver a fixed GPS chip driver for the Rider 5.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,211 Superusers
    edited May 20
    Hi
    @RichardCerrig

What are the first two Characters or your Rider Serial number...

ATB YFM
    They are K4
    Hi
    @RichardCerrig

Looking at what sketchy information is available on GPS Week Number Roll-Over

Your last post...
    d3wt8vbodxbp.jpg
    The post by MrM...
    khhtos6pxp03.jpg
    My Post... Official Tomtom download document
    Here... https://www.tomtomforums.com/attachments/tomtom-models-zip.3916/
    Maybe useful for cross referencing the GPS Chipset used in your Tomtom Model
    The PDF file is a Tomtom spreadsheet with all the NAV2 & NAV3 Models Specs including the GPS Chipsets (Item 20 in the list)

You have a Tomtom Rider (K4xxxx)... The Tomtom Document say the Rider (K4xxxx) has the Sirf Star 3 GPS Chip-set
    The post from MrM says the Sirf 111 GPS Chip-set still work for him
    The Tomtom document I found dosen't mention Sirf 111 GPS Chip-set but does mention the Sirf Star 3 GPS Chip-set... So I assume they are the same GPS Chip-set just a different way of saying three 3 or 111

(1)... Your Rider (K4xxxx) is fully supported by Tomtom
    (2)... It looks like your Rider (K4xxxx) should update and work OK ???

ATB YFM
    edited May 20
    @YamFazMan See this post for an update
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

Rider K4: After 06th of April this Rider model is unexpectedly not showing the correct time and ETA, while navigation is working as normal. We are currently working to see if an update is possible!

In the MR.M patch documentation you can see;
    Deze oplossing werkt niet voor de Rider 5-seriële K4 met Qualcom GPS-chip.

So the Rider 5 K4 has a Qualcom GPS-chip according to this documentation.
    Some other documentation mentions a Atheros "AR1520A" chipset for the 2103 Rider.(Atheros is now part of Qualcom.)

Also on this forum you can find more TomTom WNRO information;
    https://gpsurl.com/tomtom-discussions/246478-gps-week-rollover-wnro-findings-fixes-frustrations.html
  • TuMaRis53TuMaRis53 Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I am also still waiting for the GPS week number of the problem of upgrading.
      Of course, I'm not too long anymore because TomTom would have been able to do it already. The following devices are not guaranteed by TomTom if their lifetime is only a few years!
      I just have to find a more reliable partner!
    Lots of Garmin Zumo 660's have the same time problem.

Garmin is much clearer in there communication "We are not going to Fix this"

TomTom is still trying to provide a solution.
    Thank you both for all your input but - regrettably - the sad fact is that my TomTom still refuses to show the current time or estimated time to destination. Whilst this does not render the equipment useless it is irritating to say the least, made more irritating by the fact the fact that TomTom must have known of the WNRO when they designed and manufactured the model I purchased.
    I suppose that it would be naive of me to expect anything else but there is still a - small - part of me that expects suppliers to treat their customers fairly. As Doug has said above Garmin appear to have been guilty, at least in part, of the same approach so I suppose that the only option is to accept that one will be bamboozled by these suppliers.
    Hi
    @RichardCerrig

You can see what type of chip you have
    How to see... Keep the power button until a black/white Info screen appears
    There you can see...
    SIRF 3 (chip SIRF STAR III)
    GL (chip Global Locate)

ATB YFM
    edited May 20
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    You have a Tomtom Rider (K4xxxx)... The Tomtom Document say the Rider (K4xxxx) has the Sirf Star 3 GPS Chip-set
    The K4 is not even in the document.
    K4 = Rider v4 = Rider v5 = Rider 2013.
    It uses - as written before - the Qualcomm AR1520 (AR because it was still developed by Atheros, before Atheros was bought by Qualcomm. Runs Orion 3.0 GPS software. Successor is the QCA1530, which is used in some TT PNDs).

Problem is the AR1520 (at least with the current firmware) outputs wrong date. TT can't do much about it, and I doubt Qualcomm has an update ready for this. But it looks like it should be very easy to correct the wrong date even without help of Qualcomm. If TT isn't doing it, it might even be possible for the community to provide a fix.
    RoadRider wrote: »
    Garmin is much clearer in there communication "We are not going to Fix this"
    As far as I know Garmin is also working on an update. And from experience they're more likely to update old devices. Many >10 year old Garmin devices have received an update. However, also Garmin can't fix the GPS chip in use.
  • yakkeryakker Posts: 33 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    TomTom Rider 1 and Rider 2 versions are working fine, despite TomTom telling us we need an update that is not available!
    Is there maybe a version of Rider 2 with Global Locate v1? If not, then yes, Rider 1 and 2 should be fine, and Urban Rider/K3 after updating or exchanging glgps file.