How can I make my GO 5200 work?

On startup, the screen of my Go 5200 shows a graphic of a PC screen, a satnav and a lead coming out of the satnav but terminating near the PC with a red X against it. What does this mean? The device is otherwise inoperable.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,612 Superuser
    Hi @Bobstat

Looks like it may have gone into Recovery mode. See the following.

Try attaching it to your PC with MyDrive Software up and running and see if it then completes the operation.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034277/how-to-recover-your-device/p1?new=1

Doug
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,322 Superuser
    Hi all

@Bobstat

I think while an update of the NavCore, the internal software of the device, there was a problem (internet connection cut/connection too weak/maps downloaded at the same time)

Your GO5200 wifi need to reinstall its NavCore, it is already in Recovery Mode.
    For this, you must use the MyDrive Connect software installed on a computer and your cable.
    Follow this FAQ specific for Wifi devices:
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23176/related/1

- You don't need to do the procedure of 3 successive presses.
    - Charge your device with a main charger (smartphone/Iphone/Tablet 1 or 2A) at least 2/3 hours, the Recovery Mode require a full battery.
    - you must first install the MyDrive Connect software on your PC and log in with your email and password.
    - Connect the cable directly to your computer USB port (no hub) and your GO5200.
    - The PC download and reinstall the NavCore, the internal software, around 350 Mb. Your device will restart during the process, wait and leave it connected to the PC until it has a normal display.

I hope it will work for you.

Regards.
  • BobstatBobstat Posts: 8 [Neophyte Traveler]
    The problem now is that the pc will not recognise the tomtom as a usb device and so mydrive does nothing. Is this looking serious?
    HI @Bobstat

If someone does not come on with an answer tonight then I am sure @VikramK or @lampard from TT can provide a solution tomorrow.

Doug
    Thanks laure123. Despite windows telling me that tomtom is unrecognised, mydrive went through the installation process to 100%. Tomtom then goes through a series of of screens with the white bar moving across and the drums playing. It then reverts to the screen which I described in my first message. After a couple of minutes the process is repeated - four times already. Should this be happening?
    edited April 30
    Hi @Bobstat

What happens if you disconnect it and hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds once it has completed a cycle and goes to the red X screen.

Whatever happens when @VikramK etc come on they can look and see what is happening from their end and clear things if necessary.

I understand that as a troubleshooting facility recovery mode will work on the GOx200 units , but it only does the job of removing the current application and then you can download a fresh version again. It maybe we need their help to know how to do the latter part.

Doug
    This did not work.
    @Bobstat

Our devices are not identified as USB storage devices but as network adapters (removable).
    You can see it in:
    in ==> Control Panel/DeviceManager/Network Adapters/ you must have a "Remote NDIS compatible device" (or "TomTom") or in Devices and printers. Check if the driver doesn't need to be updated with a right click.

But your device is well recognized by your PC.
    The process up to 100% + the long start of the device is normal. But it must only be done once. If this is repeated, something is wrong.
    Apart from trying again I don't see.

If moderators can't intervene tomorrow, try TomTom customer service for more help:
    United Kingdom
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m

Regards.
    I did update the driver for the 'Remote NDIS device' but it had no effect on the problem.
    Hi @Bobstat

I don't know if for Wifi devices it's important but for No Wifi it is.

Can you check this in MDC, your device Not connected.
    Right click on the TomTom icon in the task bar next to the clock. Choose "Settings"
    See the picture below, the 1st line.
    q2om1ruldbef.png

Regards.
    I have all these boxes ticked in MDC settings.
    I noticed that the RTC is counting up from a date in March 1972. Is this right? I have seen images on google of the information screen obtained when you keep the on/off button pressed for 30secs and none of them show an RTC earlier than 2000.