TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

GO Mobile App routing & AI

yehoudinyehoudin Posts: 324 [Renowned Trailblazer]
Unfortunately, Tom Tom Go’s route planning doesn’t work very well. Without HD traffic TT uses historical data for traffic on the route , that’s OK. If live traffic is taken into account, planning is limited to about 100 miles and as far as I know there’s no attempt to predict the evolution of the traffic on the route. If all those promises with #AI were true, one would assume that it would be possible to predict the traffic on a road at the point of time when I arrive there. Is anything like this planned at Tom Tom ?
By the way, I use MyDrive parallel to Go because the routes calculated in my drive (on the tom-tom servers) with all traffic data often seem much more realistic than the routes calculated with GO. Furthermore, I have no confidence at all in the calculation of alternative routes with them on the Go app. Therefore I also use MyDrive.
Tagged:

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 13,989 Superusers
    edited April 25
    yehoudin wrote: »
    (Snip) as far as I know there’s no attempt to predict the evolution of the traffic on the route(Snip)
    As far as I'm aware Tomtom Live traffic information on the PND's is refreshed every 2 Minutes throughout the journey
    Also the Live Traffic Horizon travels forward with you from your present location, throughout all of the journey

Tomtom Video....

Maybe useful...
    https://www.tomtom.com/lib/img/REAL_TIME_TRAFFIC_WHITEPAPER.pdf

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > Thumb's Up Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

I think you have suggested above that you think that TT traffic only thinks 100 miles ahead.. If true that is not as bad as you may be implying. Why worry about a traffic jam more than that away from where you are. By the time you get there it could have gone and you have avoided an unnecessary detour.

I recently had a journey of over 4 hours which from about 2 hours, all on motorways, it started to indicate a 29 minute delay on the route currently planned.. I worked out where I thought the delay was and knew a route around it if I was correct. When we were within about 40 miles of the delay the Tomtom advised me it had a quicker route which was 21 minutes quicker. I took it and it was the way I would have gone as I know the area.

My assumption is that the Tomtom is always seeking a quicker route but waits until it is sure the delay is still more or less of a problem and then directs you around it by the best way. In the above instance it could have waited until we were nearer the delay and directed me around it another way. It decided that the route it recommended was the best option not a later possibility. which I would agree with.

Doug
  • yehoudinyehoudin Posts: 324 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    First: why bother about a traffic jam 50 miles ahead ? I’ll arrive there in an hour or an hour and a half . If there’s a parallel route, Tom Tom will guide me there. Why?
    Will the jam be even longer when I arrive there or maybe gone? That is something that AI could predict. Tom Tom knows not only where traffic is, but also where it is moving. So modern algorithms could calculate the evolution of traffic and traffic jams on the roads.

Second: within tom-tom mydrive all traffic even 500 miles away is taken into account. The reason is that these informations are available on the server, and the route is planned there and transmitted to the app. In contrast, only traffic information in a circle of 100 miles around you is transmitted to our mobile device and the route is calculated locally on our devices. That is just a pragmatic approach to data consumption.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 13,989 Superusers
    edited April 26
    First: why bother about a traffic jam 50 miles ahead ? I’ll arrive there in an hour or an hour and a half
    I'm not bothered (But in your first post you appear to be)
    The device is not showing a problem near me, but I am aware of a potential problem ahead in my journey
    If there’s a parallel route, Tom Tom will guide me there. Why?
    I guess using Historic Data... Mid journey Tomtom know every Thursday in that Town they have a Farmers Market and the traffic is very congested
    Will the jam be even longer when I arrive there or maybe gone? That is something that AI could predict. Tom Tom knows not only where traffic is, but also where it is moving. So modern algorithms could calculate the evolution of traffic and traffic jams on the roads
    Tomtom Live Traffic seems pretty good as it is, In my experience it's already the best
    Second: within tom-tom mydrive all traffic even 500 miles away is taken into account. The reason is that these informations are available on the server, and the route is planned there and transmitted to the app. In contrast, only traffic information in a circle of 100 miles around you is transmitted to our mobile device and the route is calculated locally on our devices. That is just a pragmatic approach to data consumption.
    I dare say it could be explained using the chaos theory, the butterfly effect is the sensitive dependence on initial conditions in which a small change in one state of a deterministic non-linear system can result in large differences in a later state

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > Thumb's Up Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'