NO SPACE ON DEVICE TO DOWNLOAD UPDATES. — TomTom Community

NO SPACE ON DEVICE TO DOWNLOAD UPDATES.

This is my second attempt at trying to device sorted out. Bought it direct from tomtom as an upgrade for my 940 about 3 years ago. It all seams to be working correctly, with the exception of downloads. I keep getting the message " no space available to up date" I have euro map, USA map and a 16 gb disk that is all.
I have tried to contact TomTom but no response, that was 2 yrs ago. I dumped it in the draw and went back to using the old 940. Please help.

Answers

• NC_NC_ Posts: 1,569 [Exalted Navigator]
    Not knowing exactly what model you bought but based on the "3 years ago" mark, I would say...
    TomTom now can devide the whole map into reginal maps to resolve the lack of space issue. You might want to temporarily take the US map out, update your Euro map, then install reginal US maps.
  • ANDYMC57ANDYMC57 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    hi thanks
    On double checking my no space message, it shows the following ;
    software update version 18.202.0024.411, 313mb.
    Europe map update version 10.25, 8.9gb.
    USA map update version 10.25, 5.86gb.
    Speed camera update 5.32mb.
    Even if I remove the euro, USA and camera up dates it still comes back No Space
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,203 Superuser
    Hi @ANDYMC57

In your profile it says that you have a GO520. Is this the recent model that downloads directly by linking to your Wifi and does not need a PC and Mydrive Connect software..

If it is then if you
    Tap Menu
    TapSettings
    Scroll al the way right until you see a ? in a Blue Circle then Tap that
    Tap About scroll down and you will see the amount of free space on your Internal and Memory Card.

What size is the extra memory card. and how much free space do you have.

Doug
    hi Doug
    found the details, they are;
    0.00 B Internal memory.
    31.84 GB memory card.
    I forgot I had put a bigger card in.
    andy
    edited April 23
    Hi @ANDYMC57

You need to sort out the internal memory.as that will cause problems

If as I say it is the Wifi version of the GO 520 then

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap Maps
    Tap Delete Maps
    Select the USA map and and it will be deleted from your unit . It will still be available for you. afterwards to be able to reinstall it.

When you have Removed the USA map from the Unit then do a Soft Reset. Hold the On/Off button down for about 20 seconds until you hear the Drumroll sound then let go and it will boot up again. Now just to confirm check the internal memory figure.

Now I would
    Tap menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Format Memory card

This will format the memory card to take maps . I suspect it has never been formatted for Maps and is probably the problem

Now back go to Maps in Settings and Click on Add a Map and now find a small map say less than 500mb, it does not matter what it is, and load that onto the unit. Because you have freed up space by removing the USA map it should load on the internal Memory which is a good thing as you can leave it untouched and its there to ensure you have a map the unit can boot up with.

Having done that do another Soft Reset then back to Add a Map and install the USA map. Because you have taken up some space on the internal memory and the USA map will not now fit then it will switch to your Extra memory.

Don't forget the Soft reset after as its good practice after an update or Map addition o removal,

If you ever look at the memory figures in future and see that the Internal memory has less than 400mb free space then replace the small map with a smaller map. The unit needs 400mb for operational reasons.

All the best

Doug
    hi unable to delete any maps.
    Following your sequence;
    menu,
    settings,
    maps,
    delete maps- gives me "not enough space" message. Tap "ok" sends me to delete maps. pick USA map, click delete. "Oops something went wrong. please try again" message. Tap "ok" sends me back to maps.
    I have repeated this several times with both maps but nothing is being deleted.
    Hi @ANDYMC57

I wonder if this is because the unit is so full on the internal memory.

I am Flagging @lampard or @VikramK to see what they recommend. It may be a recover the device situation.

Keep any eye out here to see what they respond with.

Doug
    edited April 24
    Hi @ANDYMC57

Your situation is being reviewed by Tomtom so keep an eye out here.

Have you tried to Format the card as I suggested as it has to be formatted in the Unit to be able to take maps.?

Doug
    thank you very much for your assistance Doug.
    regards
    An
    Hi tried to format card, message comes up Card already formatted. Is the internal very small, because no updates have been added since the first maps where added!
    Hi @ANDYMC57

The Internal memory of a GO520 wifi model is 16gb and you can add up to 32gb via the extra memory.

The Current European Map and USA maps will not both fit on the internal memory along with the Operating Software so I assume that your maps must be older versions.

Once this is sorted you can have the maps saved on the Internal memory and the Extra memory card depending on the order you load them as the unit defaults to load on the internal memory first but if there is not enough room it then looks for the extra memory.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,159 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @ANDYMC57

Both the maps you have- Europe and USA are not the latest versions.

Would it be fine if I ask our team to remove one of the map which will free up space on your device(internal memory).

Then perhaps you can try to insert a memory card and see if you are able to use it for adding maps.

Regards
    Vikram
    hi Vikram
    Problem sorted thank you. Sorry for the delay in responding but I was away on work.
    regards
    Andy