GO Live 1005 no longer works since last update — TomTom Community

GO Live 1005 no longer works since last update

Since updating my GO Live 1005 to the latest firmware (the one to fix the 7 April GPS changeover issue), the device keeps crashing and basically has become completely useless.

After startup and e.g. selecting your destination you can actually start navigating for a while but it invariably hangs after a couple of minutes and then crashes. It first shows a grey screen and becomes unresponsive and then it reboots itself. This repeats itself.

TomTom, please provide a fix for this (or let me go back to a previous firmware); prior to updating the firmware everything worked fine!
Tagged:

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,359
    Superuser
    edited April 2019
    Hi @Hayo_Baan

This will not encourage you but see the attached Topic. There are many who have similar problem. It will depend on the version of Live 1005 you have as some have limited internal memory. From about page 3 there are a few ideas for a solution. which in some instances seems to be to get the unit working then loading a Map zone instead of the whole unit.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1032274/go-live-1005-keeps-turning-off-freezing-rebooting/p1

Some go live 1005 units are no longer supported by Tomtom. see here.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/#car

Doug
  • Hayo_BaanHayo_Baan Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi Doug,

Thank you for providing an answer. I looked through the suggestions given in the post you mentioned hopefully the system recovery as described here works (strangely, the recovery only seemed to take a couple of seconds, not minutes). I have my doubts though as after the first attempt at this, I still got the hang+reboot after a while… I then tried again and at least for some time now, the device hasn't rebooted (I'm not moving though, so perhaps its too early to tell).

Since my device already had a map zone instead of a full map (since a long time I have been unable to use a full map), that's definitely not an issue.
    My guess is my go lie 1005 is still supported: there was a firmware update for the 7 April issue (it's serial no is also not listed in the list of obsolete products you referenced).

Observation: at the moment the GO live 1005 is still operational (I have left it switched on for quite a while now. One thing I noticed though is that the live services icon is crossed-out (checking the Connections|Network settings doesn't show anything either). I'm fairly certain it was never crossed-out when I suffered the reboots though, so the crashes might actually have to do with a Live services connection problem.

I don't have any active Live subscriptions so I actually don't mind not having this working, so if the live services really are (part of) the problem, I would like to disable them completely. Can't seem how to though. Any ideas?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,359
    Superuser
    edited April 2019
    Hi @Hayo_Baan

Good to hear you are up and running.

It is not because of Live Services. its more often to do with the units being so full they can't work properly if at all.

Does you unit have a slot for extra memory ie a Micro SD Class 10 memory card, if so and you have not used it then that can help as the maps have a place to move to if necessary. You may get away with 8gb but 16gb would be a good idea as that will be more useful if you upgrade to a new GPS unit.

Doug
    Hi Doug,

With map zone 6, the device still has 143MB free. The same as before the firmware update. So while you're right that 4GB ain't enough these days (and hasn't for a long time), that shouldn't be an issue here. Remember that before the update the device was working just fine!

The GO Live 1005 sadly does not have a memory slot or otherwise I would have made use of that already; not ever having to bother about your map zone is worth a couple € for a memory card ;)

Let's see how the device will hold up when next I need to make use of it for travel. Let's hope the two device recovery attempts did help. Though I still suspect it has something to do with the live services as well (at least partially).
    Well, the first time I tried to use the TomTom Go 1005 live for travel it crashed again. I'm quite sure, this time the live services icon wasn't shown as disabled so I'm convinced the live services is what is causing the crash with the latest firmware update.

TomTom, PLEASE FIX THIS!