GPS Week Number Roll-Over - Page 4 — TomTom Community

GPS Week Number Roll-Over

Comments

• KTS21KTS21 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Less than 24 hours to go and still no GPS signal. Saw another fix and downloaded it but no change. Clear skies, usually no problem finding a satellite, but not since April 6 nor the latest fix. Is there any hope I will have the GPS assist for my thousand mile journey?
    Have a TomTom One barely 10 years old.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,270 TomTom Moderator
    edited April 17
    Hi Vikram
    I did follow the link you suggested and got again, the same answer that I did quote in my original post:

After 6 April 2019, your TomTom navigation device will be impacted.
    We are working to see if an update is possible.

So now I’m a bit puzzled, but then again nothing changed.

My motorcycle is 2 years older than my Rider but it still works great.

Br Larry

I asked our Product Team about this and as the message says(WNRO page) we are looking at releasing a fix to resolve this issue...

@KTS21

We tested on a device here, same model serial number starting Y2, it does not show the time but it's still getting a GPS signal.

So I don't think the loss of GPS signal is because of the WNRO.

Regards
    Vikram :)
  • bigandybtnbigandybtn Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I have a ONE XL which has completely lost any satellites The website tells me firstly that there are no updates available but then proceeds to "update" the device However, when I try to start the device it still cannot find any satellites Help!
  • KTS21KTS21 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Good News. I now have 3 satellites (instead of none) on my TomTomOne so I can travel tonight.
  • cedric2123cedric2123 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hello,

I'm trying to find out more about the GPS Number Roll-Over. I'm trying to understand what, why, how, to wich systems and how to fix it. I'm a student writing a thesis about it. Would it be possible to receive additional information about the subject?

Thank you for your help,

Cedric
  • Boomerang2120Boomerang2120 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have a Rider serial# K4xxxxxxx547 , have been checking for updates each night using HOME, but still have 12:00 time reset issue.

Any update on a fix?
  • MrMMrM Posts: 148 [Exalted Navigator]
    I do not have a solution for the Rider 5, but do for e.g the Urban Rider, TT XL.
    It is the replacement of a file. Not sure if I can offer this solution here.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,246 Superusers
    edited April 20
    Hi
    @MrM

If it helps, go for it... It will simply get moderated if its too Controversial

ATB YFM
  • NC_NC_ Posts: 1,569 [Exalted Navigator]
    Hi
    @MrM
    Let's see what you have.
    Here it is in the zip file. It is not my work, I do not have TT devices anymore.
    I ran into it on a Dutch TomTom forum. It saved an Urban Rider, I know that for sure.
    Can't do much harm, but please make a backup from your system before trying it out.

Hope it helps some of you.

Happy Easter, Marten

edited May 2
    Hi
    @MrM

If anyone wants to check out the file
    I've downloaded and scanned the Zipped & the Un-Zipped files with Avast AV & Malwarebytes... file 'OK'
    The text from the PDF in the Zip....
    7oys37ptopoj.jpg

All the usual disclaimers apply, use at your own discretion/risk

ATB YFM
  • NigelT_57NigelT_57 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a XL device with a serial number prefix of RB. The device had been working fine until the WNRO. The email I received said that the device would still work but the date/time would not appear however, in reality, it is the other way around. The time is showing correctly but it just sits on a message saying "Waiting for a valid GPS signal....". The software version on the screen shows as version 8.010 and the map says V955.6801.

Whilst I appreciate that I cannot update the maps anymore, the device should still work and I don't see why I should have to buy a new device when there should be a fix for this problem. Please can someone from TomTom respond to this comment with a solution, as if I do need to buy a new device, it is not going to be another TomTom, given their appalling service.
  • LarryFromHomeLarryFromHome Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I tried the fix MrM suggested and appended a few posts further up in the discussion on my Urban Rider and hurray it did remove the constant time reset issue.
    Thank you MrM

A word of caution: In my case I had to change the file extension from “glgps.dat” to “glgps.” as the files in my Riders \bin directory have no extensions, to make the fix work.

Today I got a mail from Tomtom stating that from april 6. my satnav will on longer show correct time and ETA.

They suggest I should upgrade (to a new device) but they are working to find out if a fix is possible on my old ditto.

;-)
    edited April 23
    Hi
    @LarryFromHome

How to display Windows 10 hidden file extensions
    open the required filer Window
    Click on the 'View Tab'... Tick the 'File names extensions' Tab

Click on Image to enlarge....
    4sbhn8ftgj5u.jpg
    ATB YFM
    edited April 23
    Hi
    @NigelT_57
    NigelT_57 wrote: »
    I have a XL device with a serial number prefix of RB. The device had been working fine until the WNRO. The email I received said that the device would still work but the date/time would not appear however, in reality, it is the other way around. The time is showing correctly but it just sits on a message saying "Waiting for a valid GPS signal....". The software version on the screen shows as version 8.010 and the map says V955.6801
    Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ???? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

Note… Some early Tomtom models have a reset button for more Info see.....
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like re-booting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

If possible, for the for the first Satellite fix, go outside with a clear view of the Sky
    The initial satellite Lock after a reset can take quite a while

It takes 25 messages (12.5 minutes) to get the full Almanac. The full Almanac is needed before a GPS fix can be obtained. This is Time To First Fix (TTFF). TTFF is a measure of the time required for a GPS receiver to acquire satellite signals and navigation data, and calculate a position solution (called a fix)
    if you miss the start of the Almanac transmission you may have to include the wait, until the next transmission begins

ATB YFM
  • LsinghLsingh Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    I have a tom tom start and i have updated it but the GPS is still not working, can anyone help?
    Hi
    @Lsingh

Try the post above your Post....

ATB YFM
    TT is recognizing the Start issue according to a mail form TomTom to an owner:
    8583889_2019-04-2312_36_11-Herinnering_jenavigatiesysteemmoetwordenbijgewerkt-Bericht(HTML).jpg.5106f587bc3e7ed74f7fc3041ba24ed5.jpg

It says that they looking for a solution (update).
  • Murphy1959Murphy1959 Posts: 19 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    edited April 29
    Am also affected as a V4 user.

The assertion of some here that except the date and log also the GPS reception or the function of the curved route is affected is not true.

Have now over since the conversion ü. 1000 km easily covered and will continue to use the device.

Mfg Murphy

P.S .: Are you still writing or are you already driving? :-)
  • Boomerang2120Boomerang2120 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Tried the MrM replacement file (glgps) on my Rider serial# K4xxxxxxx547 and unfortunately it did NOT work, Time still resets to 12:00. Not a peep from TomTom on any fix. It should not be a huge deal for them to post a fix. Not like they didn't know it was coming.

TomTom - please let us know when we can expect the fix.
  • JPMcNeelyJPMcNeely Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am seriously confused as to how TomTom could NOT have had an update available for the Rider (K4....). WNRO happens every 19 years, and was a well known event long ago. Waiting for TT to give an ETA on the update. 3 year old, $300US device. No excuse for not being ready...
  • AluminiumAluminium Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
    edited May 1
    Not impressed with TT. A known issue handled poorly. I worked on the Y2K issue and had we acted like TT we would have been in deep trouble with out customers. Then they send me an email AFTER the date with a offer to purchase a Rider 500 that still costs over £300 after the discount is applied. There's nothing wrong with my Rider 400 that a software patch wouldn't fix. On final "nail in the coffin", when I tested my serial number on the website the discount offer linked to a CAR GPS. Well done TT, how do you suggest I mount and waterproof a car GPS on a motorcycle. I see that you are still selling the 400 on Amazon too. No excuses TT just some respect thank you.
  • Vangel15Vangel15 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    We have four TomTom OneOne 3rd edition in our family and they either lose the GPS signal and stop navigating even after several hours of being left on or will not locate a GPS signal at all at switch on.

Have tried resetting, uploading but nothing works. Is there a fix or do we throw them in the trash and purchase Garmin GPS based on the fact that they were working perfectly until the 6th April and TomTom update seems not to apply to our GPS units.

Not happy...........