START 42-memory card not recognised — TomTom Community

START 42-memory card not recognised

My brand new Start 42 navigation device does not recognise brand new micro SD... memory cards (SanDisk Ultra 8 Gb and/or 32 Gb, FAT 32).
I followed every instruction possible to be found on the TomTom website without any result.
Would anyone know the cause of this problem and what to do about it? I'd appreciate any form of help!

Best Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,062 Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @RobSn

The Map size exceeding the on-board Memory size unfortunate but real Catch22 situation
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

ATB YFM

Answers

• LucifyLucify Posts: 76 [Supreme Navigator]
    @RobSn

try formatting it on a computer first. Is it a class 10 memory card.

also do a soft reset on the device and then insert the card to see if it asks you to format it.

• RobSnRobSn Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    Thanks Lucify. I did all that but with no results unfortunate
    edited April 18
    Hi
    @RobSn

Your Start 42 has 8GB of on-board memory... the devices Operating System uses some of the 8GB on-board memory + the Operating System need a further minimum of 400KB free working space ( The more working space the better the performance of the device)
    The Latest Europe Map is near as dammit 9GB, you cant put a quart into a pint pot
    (To Check Free working Space... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> System --> About... Scroll down to Free Space)
    The Latest Europe Map is 8.9GB so an 8GB memory Card is pointless a 16GB or 32GB (Max Size) Class 10 Micro SDHC Card is required

If your Start 42 still has the original Map or Map Zone installed on the on-board memory, maybe @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your Account
    Then you could delete the original Map from the on-board memory and replace it with the smaller Map
    The advantage would be, plenty of working space and the smaller map will act as a 'Keeper' to enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map (Avoid the No Maps Found Error) if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a Micro SDHC Card

Formatting the Memory Card
    On a PC Format the Memory Card FAT32
    Insert the Memory Card into the Device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    The device should offer the Formatting Menu

You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC

If NO Formatting Menu is offered... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> Format Memory Card... Follow on-screen Instructions

ATB YFM
    Thank you for your extended advice YamFazMan. I will give all this a try the next few days. (I like your motorbike!)
    Thank you for your comment Vikram. I recently purchased the Start 42 and wanted to update the map and system. However, the updates were too large to fit onto the internal memory so I decided to insert an external micro. From there on the memory card drama started.
    Best regards, Rob
    Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @RobSn

The Map size exceeding the on-board Memory size unfortunate but real Catch22 situation
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

ATB YFM
    Problem solved. Thanks to YamFazMan!
    Thanks to him and Vikram.
    Hi
    @RobSn

You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

ATB YFM