Via 120 Live Rebooting every few minutes, after latest Update.

Hi.

I loaded updates yesterday (16/04/2019), as it couldn't find satelites without Resetting (press power for 15 seconds). Quite a big update (4/5 different updates) loaded successfully, but now it keeps on Rebooting every few minutes? The "finding satelite" issue has been solved, but the constant rebooting makes it unusable.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,612 Superuser
    Hi @hcengelbrecht_un15

Try a soft Reset. With the unit on and working hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds until you hear the drumroall sound. It will reboot.

If this does not work a Factory Reset is the next option.

You do not say what unit. Is the internal memory very full. The unit requires some free internal memory space for operational purposes.otherwise it struggles to work. If full is there anything you can delete such as unwanted voices.

Doug
  • hcengelbrecht_un15hcengelbrecht_un15 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Hi.

It's a Via 120 Live (old unit, but it was still working OK-ish till the most recent update - just lerned that TomTom will not be supporting it any more). 3,263MB memory free.

I tried the Soft Reset many times - it was the only way I could get it to pick up Satelites recently - before yesterday anyway.

Even now it is connected to my computer, and still keeps on Rebooting every 3 minutes or so.

It's very frustrating that the last supported(?) update "broke" the unit also - not a nice way to be "forced" to buy a new model.
    Hi @hcengelbrecht_un15

Are you sure that your unit is no longer supported. Here is the list of affected units. My 120 Live is not listed and I updated it to day and it seems fine..

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1031975/end-of-life-for-tomtom-devices/p1

Have you tried a Reset Factory Settings?

Doug
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_za/obsolete-products/#car

It's in the "Devices no longer supported" list at the bottom - "Replacement Offer" button (in MyDrive Connect) took me to the page.
    Sorry - also a bit weary of a Factory Reset - what happens to Favourites/Waypoints, etc. and How does one do a Factory Reset?
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 599 [Exalted Navigator]
    Hi, @hcengelbrecht_un15 ,

Saw your post just after I posted mine:_ https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1111444/re-starting-problem-with-go520-following-failed-update#latest

Although different devices, it sounds like the same problem!

Hence, would strongly recommend that you implement a Full Factory Reset!

Regards,

John-Jay

OK, took the plunge and did a Factory Reset - I had the option of Full or Partial and chose the latter, which kept most of the settings and all of the favourites (Nice!) - so far so god, as it hasn't done another Reste (yet). I will test it in the morning while actually driving.

Thank you very much for the feedback/suggestions!
    Hi @hcengelbrecht_un15

That sounds encouraging. A Freudian slip I assume when you say "so far so god" =) =)

Doug
  • John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 599 [Exalted Navigator]
    Hi, @hcengelbrecht_un15

Good news!!

Regards,

John-Jay

Tested in the car as well - all good (LOL!).