Are you aware of scammers at tomtommapupdate.us? — TomTom Community

Are you aware of scammers at tomtommapupdate.us?

HappibunHappibun Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
I had a problem updating both of my satnavs, and searching on your tomtom site got me to a page on updates with online tech support. It was very dodgy, they wanted to vpn in to my laptop and check my windows security! I hung up at that point but am worried that others might fall for it.
Tagged:

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,939 Superuser
    edited April 12
    Hi @Happibun

Thank you.

@VikramK think it may be this one.

http://tomtommapupdate.us

Doug
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,569 Superuser
    @VikramK

Here is a copy of a "chat" I had with them
    Kevin: Welcome to our site, if you need help simply reply to this message, we are online and ready to help.
    Me: Interesting FAKE TomTom site!
    Kevin: How can i help you?
    Me: What are you offering?
    Kevin: tomtom map update
    Me: so my device serial number starts with "AP"what have I got
    Kevin: this site only support for uk not france
    Me: but the device was bought in the UK
    Kevin: may i have model number of tomtom device?
    Me: as I said the serial number starts with AP
    Kevin: okay mya i have telephone number ?
    Me: do not try to phone me as I have a call blocker and I need to know your number before you can speak to me, so what is your number?
    Kevin: you can see our website
    Me: I need a real number not an 0800 number
    Kevin: thank you have a lovely night
    Me: This chat has been recorded and will be passed on to TomTom, anything further to add?
    Kevin: thank you
    Kevin: nice talk to you
    Me: At least you are courteous Kevin
    Maybe you should try as well ;)
    Help others identify useful content :-
    If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍
    If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • HappibunHappibun Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi @DougLap , and @Niall

Yes it looks very similar. What I'm trying to find out is how I ended up on a convincingly fake tomtom page for me to end up contacting their 'technical support' in the first place, because I sure as heck started off on the tomtom one and was using the MyDrive software. Somehow I was diverted.
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited April 13
    Could have been Julian Assange hacking into the TT system? Oh no, I forgot, he's no longer active in that sphere ;)

Shame TT have not yet resolved this serious breach as discussed further here https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1110982/sold-lifetime-mas#latest
    Hi @Happibun

If you can find out exactly the process that will be very helpful to Tomtom .

Hope you find out how and can tell @VikramK..

Doug
    Yes, it looks like it too. Thank you @justmebrowsing

I think it would be a good thing for TomTom to make its customers clear that there are spoof sites, and TomTom engineers never ask for access to your computer to fix problems. I can imagine people falling for that one, and hate to think what vulnerabilities the scammers could exploit.

In the meantime, I think it helps to list the dodgy site URLs and describe the behaviour exhibited by 'Kevin' and his ilk. Then anyone doing a google check when their suspicions are raised can see the pitfalls.
    I totally agree that TT should do something NOW to at least PROMINENTLY warn people about this even if they can't close these cowboys down (why not?) as I said in my other post:-
    "Until TT close these down (and even afterwards perhaps), shouldn't there be a prominent warning banner right across all these forums reminding people not to fall for this BS?"
    Right, this is the original URL, I think it came up on the first page of a TomTom google search, so they have all the right metatags in place. I would not recommend following the link unless you have cookies blocked down tight and have sandboxed your browser. I was googling to find out why MyDrive Connect was telling me I was offline when I was connected to the internet fine.

http://www.gpscaresupport.online

They seem to be still monitoring it, so it's a live spoof as of now. I'm sure that they are making a mint from the GPS WNR. Obviously the web address will change regularly, but it looks like the same bunch.
    edited April 14
    This was originally reported back on 9th April (and "flagged to TomTom" that same day) but these sites are still there and, more importantly, THERE IS STILL NO ANNOUNCEMENT, WARNING OR BANNER HEADLINE anywhere on this forum telling YOUR customers to be aware of this scam.
    Do TomTom not care that their customers are being scammed (and potentially losing revenue to these cowboys)? Apparently not! :o

Maybe I'll just need to keep bouncing this topic to keep it near the top for all to read.
    Hi @justmebrowsing

Tomtom are aware and @VikramK will pick up the latest updates when he is back in the office tomorrow.

I am sure Tomtom care about the problems some of their customers and potential customers are suffering and the effect on their business. Whilst Banner Headings may stop some of the problems it all stems from how people finish up on these sites which needs identifying and then finding a way to stop it which requires the cooperation/help of the likes of Google, Yahoo , Bing , Safari, Facebook etc to resolve and we have seen how difficult that can be.

If someone types 'How do I update my Sat Nav' how do you ensure they finish up at a genuine site.

Doug
    @DougLap I agree that a banner won't fix things BUT, until TT get something concrete to stop this then surely they should show they DO CARE and take the responsibility to warn users via a forum-wide banner at the very least which is easy to do by the mods and/or admin here?
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,971 TomTom Moderator
    edited April 15
    Thanks to everyone.... :)

This one has also been forwarded to the team taking take of brand protection.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
    VikramK wrote: »
    Thanks you everyone.... :)

This one has also been forwarded to the team taking take of brand protection.

Regards
    Vikram

However, until "the team" get off their proverbial 4rses why can't you put a prominent Banner warning YOUR customers about this; or am I talking to the hand? :s