Are you aware of scammers at tomtommapupdate.us? — TomTom Community

Are you aware of scammers at tomtommapupdate.us?

HappibunHappibun Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
I had a problem updating both of my satnavs, and searching on your tomtom site got me to a page on updates with online tech support. It was very dodgy, they wanted to vpn in to my laptop and check my windows security! I hung up at that point but am worried that others might fall for it.
Tagged:

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,210 Superuser
    edited April 2019
    Hi @Happibun

Thank you.

@VikramK think it may be this one.

http://tomtommapupdate.us

Doug
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,695 Superuser
    @VikramK

Here is a copy of a "chat" I had with them
    Kevin: Welcome to our site, if you need help simply reply to this message, we are online and ready to help.
    Me: Interesting FAKE TomTom site!
    Kevin: How can i help you?
    Me: What are you offering?
    Kevin: tomtom map update
    Me: so my device serial number starts with "AP"what have I got
    Kevin: this site only support for uk not france
    Me: but the device was bought in the UK
    Kevin: may i have model number of tomtom device?
    Me: as I said the serial number starts with AP
    Kevin: okay mya i have telephone number ?
    Me: do not try to phone me as I have a call blocker and I need to know your number before you can speak to me, so what is your number?
    Kevin: you can see our website
    Me: I need a real number not an 0800 number
    Kevin: thank you have a lovely night
    Me: This chat has been recorded and will be passed on to TomTom, anything further to add?
    Kevin: thank you
    Kevin: nice talk to you
    Me: At least you are courteous Kevin
    Maybe you should try as well ;)
  • HappibunHappibun Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Hi @DougLap , and @Niall

Yes it looks very similar. What I'm trying to find out is how I ended up on a convincingly fake tomtom page for me to end up contacting their 'technical support' in the first place, because I sure as heck started off on the tomtom one and was using the MyDrive software. Somehow I was diverted.
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited April 2019
    Could have been Julian Assange hacking into the TT system? Oh no, I forgot, he's no longer active in that sphere ;)

Shame TT have not yet resolved this serious breach as discussed further here https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1110982/sold-lifetime-mas#latest
    Hi @Happibun

If you can find out exactly the process that will be very helpful to Tomtom .

Hope you find out how and can tell @VikramK..

Doug
    Yes, it looks like it too. Thank you @justmebrowsing

I think it would be a good thing for TomTom to make its customers clear that there are spoof sites, and TomTom engineers never ask for access to your computer to fix problems. I can imagine people falling for that one, and hate to think what vulnerabilities the scammers could exploit.

In the meantime, I think it helps to list the dodgy site URLs and describe the behaviour exhibited by 'Kevin' and his ilk. Then anyone doing a google check when their suspicions are raised can see the pitfalls.
    I totally agree that TT should do something NOW to at least PROMINENTLY warn people about this even if they can't close these cowboys down (why not?) as I said in my other post:-
    "Until TT close these down (and even afterwards perhaps), shouldn't there be a prominent warning banner right across all these forums reminding people not to fall for this BS?"
    Right, this is the original URL, I think it came up on the first page of a TomTom google search, so they have all the right metatags in place. I would not recommend following the link unless you have cookies blocked down tight and have sandboxed your browser. I was googling to find out why MyDrive Connect was telling me I was offline when I was connected to the internet fine.

http://www.gpscaresupport.online

They seem to be still monitoring it, so it's a live spoof as of now. I'm sure that they are making a mint from the GPS WNR. Obviously the web address will change regularly, but it looks like the same bunch.
    edited April 2019
    This was originally reported back on 9th April (and "flagged to TomTom" that same day) but these sites are still there and, more importantly, THERE IS STILL NO ANNOUNCEMENT, WARNING OR BANNER HEADLINE anywhere on this forum telling YOUR customers to be aware of this scam.
    Do TomTom not care that their customers are being scammed (and potentially losing revenue to these cowboys)? Apparently not! :o

Maybe I'll just need to keep bouncing this topic to keep it near the top for all to read.
    Hi @justmebrowsing

Tomtom are aware and @VikramK will pick up the latest updates when he is back in the office tomorrow.

I am sure Tomtom care about the problems some of their customers and potential customers are suffering and the effect on their business. Whilst Banner Headings may stop some of the problems it all stems from how people finish up on these sites which needs identifying and then finding a way to stop it which requires the cooperation/help of the likes of Google, Yahoo , Bing , Safari, Facebook etc to resolve and we have seen how difficult that can be.

If someone types 'How do I update my Sat Nav' how do you ensure they finish up at a genuine site.

Doug
    @DougLap I agree that a banner won't fix things BUT, until TT get something concrete to stop this then surely they should show they DO CARE and take the responsibility to warn users via a forum-wide banner at the very least which is easy to do by the mods and/or admin here?
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,012 TomTom Moderator
    edited April 2019
    Thanks to everyone.... :)

This one has also been forwarded to the team taking take of brand protection.

Regards
    Vikram
    VikramK wrote: »
    Thanks you everyone.... :)

This one has also been forwarded to the team taking take of brand protection.

Regards
    Vikram

However, until "the team" get off their proverbial 4rses why can't you put a prominent Banner warning YOUR customers about this; or am I talking to the hand? :s
  • daveestateagentdaveestateagent Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    How do you allow this to happen? They phoned me immediately. I was very suspicious and they wanted to access my computer via logmein.com
    Absolutely scammers
  • senate1senate1 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    yes i fell for that ive just bought a go premium x and its failed to update now does nothing except say i need to install a map but when i try it fails , it gets to nearly 100% then says oops no internet connection ,so when these guys said they could help , well i was taken in by them as they said they were tomtom support , needless to say i now have an exspencive paper wheight which wont do updates :s
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,278 Superusers
    @senate1

Is your device not under warranty if you just bought it?

Support:

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    Hi @senate1

This may help you restore the operating software to the original position. You will have to connect the TT device to you PC with My Drive Connect running on it.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034277/how-to-recover-your-device/p1?new=1

Doug
  • HypertensionHypertension Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    Hi folks,

Spent most of the day yesterday dealing with the fallout with one of these scams. My father is a pensioner but still drives a lorry to earn pennies. He relies on his professional TomTom to get himself around the country. Last week, his live traffic updates stopped working, despite him thinking he had lifetime traffic updates (which he does). He then went onto TomTom's webpage and bought a random £40 update package, which didn't work as it sounds like it wasn't for his device. So he bought another!!! This one for £30. When that one also didn't work, he Googled TomTom updates and clicked the first link. That is where his troubles began.

From what I can tell, he then went through their live chat option, where they told him his device was corrupted and that he had 2 options. 1) to purchase a new £400 device or 2) to pay £270 for a "technician" to call him and reconfigure his device. He mentioned that he'd already spent £70 the day before on failed update packages, so they told him "they could see that so just pay the £200 difference for the device reconfiguration". This is what he did.

Luckily for him, he paid this by bank transfer, but that didn't stop the scammer from then asking him for his credit card details. My father was intelligent enough at this point to question why they need that when he'd already made payment, to which they retorted "why, don't you trust us"???!!! They went on to say it was so they could create an account for my father, but luckily he told them he wasn't interested in an account and that was that.

An hour or two later, somebody did indeed call him to gain access to his pc. He duly went through with it. The "technician" made comments during the process as he went through his personal files, including complimenting my father on the car he drove, and offering advice on his choice of antivirus and offering a further costly package to update that for him! He then clicked some buttons and told my father it was fixed and should now work correctly.

Come Monday morning, in our morning chat, my father was telling me of the encounter. I only got halfway through before I told him to block his cards and brace himself for bad news. The following day I went to see him and sure enough, his PC was bricked. I can only imagine that the "technician" (at this point I wish to call him by some very insensitive names) deleted his master boot record, thus eliminating the possibility of him tracing his steps through his history. Or maybe its because they've been calling his mobile for the past two days to offer more "tech support" to his PC. Luckily for my father, the PC was handbuilt by me last year and was due an upgrade anyway, so a quick format of the drives and a quick reinstall and he was on his way. The bank has been notified, a freeze has been put on the bank account (which the bank can see contains just my fathers £200) and the bank seem able to get it back. I have a much wiser father who is now able to use a password manager and is more clued up when it comes to giving details out online. His email address has been changed and I will look to change his mobile number today.

And yes, his device didn't need an upgrade, I believe it just needed a factory reset. Just as a precaution I did this anyway, just incase.

So if anybody can please look into this and put pressure onto the relevent authorities, it'd be appreciated. It's a shame that most people won't even read this until AFTER a similar occurrence.

Stay safe folks... H
    Hi @Hypertension

Very sorry to hear what's happened. Can I suggest that if you can possibley find out the search he made and the web dresses involved that would be useful. If you can detail the website here then Tomtom can see what they can do if it isn't already one that they are working on.

Glad you were able to sort his PC out and hope you can recover some of the monies. If by any chance the updates he bought were from Tomtom then contact them and I'm sure they will sort that out. Do not answer questions but wait for an agent to answer.

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Doug
    Thanks Doug,

Unfortunately I have completely reinstalled his PC and TBH I just cannot bring myself to trawl through his data using a data recovery tool like Ease US. I spoke with TomTom this morning and they have confirmed the original £70 transactions were indeed via them, so at least he will get that back as well. I've emailed Action Fraud to let them know of the issue.

The emails are coming from a company claiming to be "Accurate Resolution Services" in Birmingham UK. I can see from Companies House that the company was setup in September last year, so is unlikely to be genuine. Or it may be just unfortunate that the scammers have chosen to use their company name and have downloaded their logo for use on their email headers. Either way, as a precaution, they've had a negative Google review this morning from me in the hope somebody might see it and think twice before dealing with them.

Oh, and since writing the above post, the scammers have called him around 6 times yesterday and emailed 6 times since yesterday morning. Each time offering a "refund", no doubt to discuss how their services can be used to fix his computer...

TomTom themselves were helpful this morning. It turns out his SN didn't have lifetime speed cams or traffic updates after all. So we've agreed to update his camera's and purchase a TMC traffic receiver cable to enable his traffic services.

I guess we all learn from our mistakes, but this one was a very useful lesson for us... it might not cost him anything but a little time.

Thanks again

H
    Hi @Hypertension

Glad you are sorting things out successfully. I have flagged this to @luca and @VikramK so they are sure to get the additionally given info.

Understand your frustration. The last time I was rung "Regarding an accident I had had which was not my fault", I asked them why it had taken since 1962 to ring me. =)=) . I had a new spam text the other day saying that my Mobile Phone provider was having a problem with the Direct Debt I have. The concerning thing was the headers etc were my Providers. No way I would respond via the link in the message but my Provider were interested in the number the message purported to come from.

I am sure we can put up with a "Spammer" like you on this occasion. B)

All the best.

Doug
  • VigilantVigilant Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited February 10
    I ran into this scam today. I keep a spare Tomtom VIA in my wife's car and deceided to update it using MyDrive. After 2 days of failing to upgrade because it timed out and said the server was busy, try again; I tried the on line help where I was asked a few questions and then told it was a problem with my computer. I was gived a link to download some software and then told a computer expert would call me. It soon became apparent that this person had no interest in Tomtom and wanted to modify my computer. It was fairly obvious that he was a scammer following a standard routine.
    What puzzles me is how my Tomtom MyDrive connected me to the scammers rather than with TomTom assistance. The number the Scammer called from was 02039504642.
    edited February 10
    Hi @Vigilant

@Luca and @VikramK will be interested in this. Can you please say where the On Line Help link was that you as your wording appears to suggest that it was in My Drive.. There is no such a link in the My Drive Connect software and the only Customer Support Phone lines do not get involved in managing your PC remotely.

Well done for picking up on the scam and I hope you are able to ensure no problems with your equipment.

One suggestion if you are having the problem is to suggest that you delete the My Drive Software completely and those that have used it seem to find the Revo Uninstaller software useful. Type Revo in the Search box above and you should see a number of posts about this. Then reload the latest version from the Tomtom Website .

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12428

Doug
    Crikey - that number has been at it for a while now!

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/02039504642

HI @Hypertension

Not just Tomtom users being scammed other GPS users as well. I can only assume that after doing a search in Google or whatever browser it has listed the scam site which then looks like Tomtom and the phone link comes from that.

Doug