GPS Week Number Roll-Over - Page 3 — TomTom Community

GPS Week Number Roll-Over

Comments

• erbe2erbe2 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Lack of space for my GO720 solved.

- I first copied the map with the Mac TT Home (Manage my device) from the internal memory to my Mac
    - then deleted the map
    - installed the WRNO update with TT Home. The WRNO update is indicated as 420 MB for installation, but is 38.7 MB on the internal memory.
    - finally copied the map back with the Mac TT Home to the GO720

It all fits again in the internal memory, and satellites found. It works.
  • kimcsabakimcsaba Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @bal

I think you may find that whilst some units are no longer being supported with map and Software updates that TT are offering this update for these units as a 1 off. So try and see if there is an update for you. You may have to check whether yo have enough space for the update.

Doug.

Your trusty old TomTom sat-nav device may be at the risk of becoming obsolete and not being able to renew any maps or services. Not possible, you say? You have support for ‘lifetime updates’, you say? Well, turns out, the Dutch mapping company has a new definition of what it calls a lifetime.

According to TomTom, “Lifetime means the useful life of the device, i.e. the period of time TomTom supports your device with updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available anymore.”

The mapmaker has compiled a list of sat-nav products it is convinced do not have sufficient resources to run the newest maps and software available with TomTom. Check out the whole list below:

What does it mean for me?

If you own any of the above-listed TomTom sat-nav devices, say goodbye to software updates – you will not be receiving any. You will not be able to renew any maps or services either. But if you have an active subscription running, you will keep getting map updates till the time that subscription expires. Over time, as the maps get outdated, you can expect your navigation routes to become less and less accurate.

TomTom is trying to use this opportunity as a marketing pitch for its newer products, urging users to buy new hardware. “This may be the perfect opportunity to discover what our new range of navigation products has to offer you,” the company says.

This cheeky move that has not gone down well with the user community despite the company offering new products at discounted rates to existing patrons. And angry users have taken to Twitter to express their dislike:
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,404 Superusers
    edited April 6
    Hi
    @kimcsaba

See... Find the model of your navigation device and what software it uses
    UK... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_GB
    USA... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_US
    Australia... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9508/locale/en_AU

Devices with lifetime maps are not affected
    Tomtom have already stated that Lifetime Maps and any Existing Map Subscriptions will be honoured

See VikramK Post (TomTom Staff) Here....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/news-and-announcements-37/end-of-life-device-with-lifetime-maps-1032484/index1.html#post1207861

If you have Lifetime Maps or an existing Map Subscriptions
    Call Tomtom Support...
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/988105/customer-support-phone-numbers/p1

When calling....
    Tomtom are monitoring Eol support by an Auto Response System
    When prompted DO NOT provide your Tomtom model information, wait for a live agent to respond

ATB YFM
  • eltolloeltollo Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I used a crude way to free up memory at my TomTomXL^2: I removed "Postal codes" which I never use anyway.
  • skiman922skiman922 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hey TomTom
    I entered my serial number on my Rider 2013 into your site and it said my GPS was safe. Today the time no longer works. It shows correctly for the first few minutes then goes to 12:00 and stays there. This effects all other time related functions. i do keep my software up to date.
  • Sjakie66Sjakie66 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    same problem as skiman922.
    i already reset factory setting bud dis didnt solved the problem
  • tiljestiljes Posts: 228 [Exalted Navigator]
    Same problem with my Rider 2013. Internal time is okay, but as soon as it picks up a GPS fix it tries to synchronize with the GPS time, and then for some reason adjusts the time to 12 midnight. Latest software (NC 9.500, which still is from 2013, as it seems) installed.
  • JohnAHJohnAH Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same for my XL running Ver 8.083. Serial number check said no update required but since rollover the clock has been rendered useless - resets to 00:00 after first minute or so from power up.

Will an update be released?
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,207 Superusers
    Have you tried logging into Home and seeing if an update is offered?
  • justmebrowsingjustmebrowsing Posts: 389 [Supreme Pioneer]
    According to various forums, the main problem actually relates to devices that use the GL chip (Global Locate) chipset rather that the SirfStar III chipset.
    Furthermore, apparently some "identical devices" (those with the same 1st 2 digits of the Serial No) differ in the chipset due to different manufacturing plant/country maybe?

To check your device if not sure, press & hold down the power button until a black screen appears, there you can see:-
    SIRF 3 (chip SIRF STAR III)
    GL1/GL2 (chip Global Locate)

Can TT please confirm (or deny) this?
  • LarryFromHomeLarryFromHome Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I have a Urban Rider GPS. After april 6 it started to display the time as 0:00 as others has described here.
    When entering the serial number to check for any fixes I get the message:

YOUR SATNAV’S STATUS:
    After 6 April 2019, your TomTom navigation device will be impacted. We are working to see if an update is possible.

I have tried to contact customer service, but get the answer that my device has gone end of life, so no more direct service is available.

So fingers crossed, maybe there will be an update or maybe not - but while I’m waiting, I can buy a new one - with a discount.

;)
  • Harris_FirstHarris_First Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This approach is terrible, Tomtom. "End of life?" Thank you for telling me what not to buy, in the future. By the way, April 10, end of day, still not working.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,369 TomTom Moderator
    Hi Harris_First

You have a device starting with the serial number GK, when I check the status I see the following message-

After April 6, 2019, your navigation device will continue to navigate, but will not be able to show the correct time and the estimated time of arrival. Fortunately, this is easily fixed with an update through TomTom HOME.

@LarryFromHome

I don't see a device linked your account. Could you send me the serial number of your device, please?

Thanks
    Vikram :)
  • gemskkigemskki Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Hi. Please can someone help me urgently. I didn't know anything about this rolling over thing, no emails etc. My start 20 suddenly stopped working. Waiting gps signal but after hours still doesn't have a signal. I have done all updates including the GPS fix but it still won't find GPS signal. I have a 300 mile drive to do and desperately need my tomtom to work. Please help!
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,207 Superusers
    Connect to MyDriveConnect and see what, if anything, is offered under 'My Content'
    edited April 15
    VikramK wrote: »
    @LarryFromHome

I don't see a device linked your account. Could you send me the serial number of your device, please?

Thanks
    Vikram :)

Hi Vikram
    The serial number is: K350xxAxx245
    Br Larry
    @gemskki

I see that you have the latest application installed on your device, so I would suggest that you try troubleshooting steps on this FAQ: https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16092

@LarryFromHome

Thanks for the serial number.

Please check the status for your device here: https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/updates/

Regards
    Vikram
    Hi Vikram
    I did follow the link you suggested and got again, the same answer that I did quote in my original post:

After 6 April 2019, your TomTom navigation device will be impacted.
    We are working to see if an update is possible.

So now I’m a bit puzzled, but then again nothing changed.

My motorcycle is 2 years older than my Rider but it still works great.

Br Larry
  • narayaannarayaan Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    So, I have a via110 and didn't know about these problems. Updated my device today, but I keep on getting the "waiting for gps signal" message. Am I too late with the update? Does this mean my system is bricked?
  • KTS21KTS21 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    I have a TomTom One. I updated it but 'waiting for valid satellite signal ALL day! Went back to update and no further updates. I need to travel 1,000 miles in two days and need this unit to work. Why isn't it finding a signal?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,404 Superusers
    Hi
    @justmebrowsing
    Just checked my NAV3 VIA 120 Live & GO 825 Live both are working OK
    Both Have....
    GPS Type... GOGPS BARRACUDA

Full Chip Spec....
    Broadcom Global Locate
    GoGPS BARRACUDA
    BCM4760IFBG

ATB YFM
    @narayaan and @KTS21

Could you both try the troubleshooting steps on this FAQ:

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16092

Regards
    Vikram
  • BikeRNickBikeRNick Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Can we get some idea from TomTom on WHEN they expect to have an update (with fix) for the Rider (2013). Thanks
  • KTS21KTS21 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    FAQ did not work - was in open area. Did pload the fix. Still no satellites found. I am in USA
  • narayaannarayaan Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    VikramK wrote: »
    @narayaan and @KTS21

Could you both try the troubleshooting steps on this FAQ:

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16092

Regards
    Vikram

I dowloaded all updates and Iactually reset my device yesterday but it didn't work . I decided to retry today and after 30 minutes waiting it found a signal!

Thanks for the advice, it seems that resetting + waiting long enough is key..