GPS update didn't work, How can I fix this?

Installed the roll-over week update. Navigation device still doesn't receive GPS signal and there is no update available in mydrive connect. I have updated Mydrive connect as well. What can I do to get GPS signal on my device?

Best Answer

Answers

• JulesARLJulesARL Posts: 0 [Apprentice Seeker]
    So my satnav doesn't work all week. After a great deal of Googling, I eventually establish that SOMETHING MAJOR has happened with GPS. After much more Googling, this means I have to plug my satnav into Drive Connect for a software update. Now: all I get is Welcome screen. Blank. Welcome screen. Blank. Etc etc.
    Well done TomTom - in built decrepitude! I now have to buy a new satnav tomorrow. And you can bet it won't be a TomTom.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,536 TomTom Moderator
    edited April 11
    Hi @Karin_v_A7

Welcome to the community!

Yes.. I can only confirm that you have the latest update installed.

Could you try the steps on this FAQ: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16092

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • Karin_v_A7Karin_v_A7 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My device works now! The update wasn't available in mydrive connect yesterday. Did the same update today as yesterday and now it works.
  • _____cindy20_____cindy20 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    why is my tomtom stuck on opening screen after updates
  • jhorton3022jhorton3022 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Updated my TomTom start 20 today after finally figuring out why I didn't have a GPS signal for a week.

Still its constantly looking for a GPS signal

Device is a TOMTOM Start 20
    Firmware version: 12.75

Please help me. I use this daily and refuse to buy another because of an Update that caused it not to work. It worked fine everyday until 1st of April

John
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,532 Superusers
    Hi
    @jhorton3022

Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ???? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

If possible, for the for the first Satellite fix, go outside with a clear view of the Sky

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

I have tried this plugged into a power supply and still waiting for a valif GPS signal.

Ive taken it outside in the air, Ive driven round with it plugged in and stopped at random locations to try outside but again still nothing.

Please Help....Data charges on my mobile for a satnav are expensive.

John
  • jhorton3022jhorton3022 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi all,

So i have now resolved this issue. The above advice is great but one key thing is missing.

I called customer services today and was instructed to do the drumroll reboot whilst stood in the open air and leave it outside for 30 minutes.

After 20 mins the gps signal came back.

So.....do the drum roll reboot outside in the air. Not in car or house but out on a field. Then leave it there for a while. FIXED

Thanks for the help though

John

• sharplysharply Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    The drumroll reboot...does that mean just turning off and on? We are having issues with the same thing, but my dad's TomTom is so old...no sound
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,155 Superusers
    Drum Roll reboot = a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.

That is unless the device is an older model that has a dedicated reset hole (normally on the bottom).
  • Snowkatt57Snowkatt57 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    My built in sat nav keeps saying (in botton left hand corner of menu screen) is gps in a garage or covered building!!! On the map it either shows me in a desert or the sea and won't find any roads I am actually on.
    I have updated software but still it is the same???
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,532 Superusers
    edited July 13
    Hi
    @Snowkatt57

Check you are running the latest software....
    What's new in the latest software for my navigation device?
    Here...
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/release_notes/type/navkit

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'