does avoiding toll roads work well on 550 rider? — TomTom Community

does avoiding toll roads work well on 550 rider?

motifmotif Posts: 19 [Master Traveler]
I had avoiding interstate highways on and toll roads avoidance on yet still I was directed to paid road twice
during recent trip. Once I fall for this and paid unnecessary fee. Never happened something like that on my previous garmin...
Tagged:

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,508
    Superusers
    Hi
    @motif

Maybe you missed the very quick Warning (Red Text)

I do not use Toll roads unless they are unavoidable or save lots of time
    I have 'Avoid Toll Roads' selected in the Setting menu
    When you have 'Avoid Toll Roads' selected in the Setting menu... If you plan a route which includes Toll Roads a small splash info bar will/should appear at the top of the screen albeit for a very short time, barely enough time to read the message
    Saying "No route possible that avoids these : Toll Roads

Or
    With a Route planned... Tap 4Dot (.... ) Menu --> Current Route --> Avoid Toll roads and More... If the Route contains one of the avoidances you have set in the setting menus, the 'Avoid Toll roads and More' menu option will be live, allowing you to make changes
    If no Avoidances apply the 'Avoid Toll roads and More' menu will be greyed out

Also... With a Route planned... Tap 4Dot (.... ) Menu --> Current Route --> Change Route Type... If say you're default route type is 'Fastest route' using 'Change Route Type' you can change the route type to another option
    Note.. This Route type change will only apply to the current route
    The default Route type in the Settings Menu will apply to you're next planned route

ATB YFM
  • motifmotif Posts: 19 [Master Traveler]
    thanks for answer but there were definitely other routes possible so I'd assume if I set avoid toll roads in settings, device should not use them in any circumstances and not treat my settings as a suggestion only...

Also with my avoidance settings why device would plan route via toll roads anyway???
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 317 [Exalted Navigator]
    does the same with thrill planning and dirt roads, seems to love to plan dirt, with the dirt setting off
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,508
    Superusers
    Hi
    @JoelS.

Avoid Unpaved roads on every route Ignored....
    I recall this as being a compromise to a 'No Route Possible' error
    When the Thrill route option was introduced, in certain circumstances where a user had set 'Avoid on every route + 'Unpaved roads', the device reported 'No Route possible'... When in fact there was a route possible but using 'Unpaved roads'

If you have 'Avoid on every route + Unpaved roads' (or one or more of the other 3 options) set and you want to pre-check a route....
    After the device has calculated the route Tap the 4Dot (....) --> Tap Current Route... If the Route is OK the 'Avoid Toll and More' Icon will be greyed out
    If the the 'Avoid Toll and More' Icon is highlighted Tap on the 'Avoid Toll and More' Icon
    The option/s causing the problem/s will be highlighted

ATB YFM
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 317 [Exalted Navigator]
    edited April 2019
    lots of routes available that didn't use dirt.
    the gps picks the route, on plan a thrill right ?? so the only way to get from a to b is with dirt, negative. tons and tons of options, it just disables my setting, gives a quick pop up saying including dirt, then the fun begins.

the no route possible was great too,
  • motifmotif Posts: 19 [Master Traveler]
    JoelS. wrote: »
    does the same with thrill planning and dirt roads, seems to love to plan dirt, with the dirt setting off

so it's not a something uncommon I see...too bad because with toll roads can a be a costly mistake sometime.