How do I stop my places showing on the 2D map screen? — TomTom Community

How do I stop my places showing on the 2D map screen?

I visit most of the local hospitals on a daily basis. They are all saved in "my places". The icons on the 2D screen totally block the map. What setting will hide them from the display?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,110 Superusers
    edited April 14
    Hi
    @bernardfeay

I'm afraid you can't turn off MyPlaces displaying on the maps

Many users have asked for the facility to backup their MyPlaces to a PC
    The MyDrive Route planner allows you to download your data from the Tomtom Cloud
    3d6xrq52c0wz.png
    The file looks like unusable Gobbledegook, the MyPlaces can be found in the file
    Click on image to enlarge....
    x3keyqdqe377.png

User Ethoz....
    Posted a link to a excellent Tomtom MyPlaces to .Ov2 POI file converter tool
    https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://chbworld.net/software/tomtompoi.html&prev=search

There's a Mac & PC version ....

Download and install TomtomPOI.exe from the above link
    Note... I have Virus checked the file with Avast Anti Virus all OK
    Run TomtomPOI

Ist Click on Open...
    Find/Load the (Your user name goes here)_MyDrive.json.gz file Saved from the Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner
    a3bdf3f4-a5bd-46bf-9447-683ddf169f40.png
    2nd Click on Copy
    3rd Click on Yes
    5567983e-03cb-46bc-a0f8-c09e5d822af2.png
    4th Click on Yes
    0d841302-e88f-4af0-bb4a-764126dc21d6.png
    5th Click on Save
    a8fe2080-c483-47ce-b413-b1606cd50aba.png
    Name the .Ov2 file & Save to the PC Desktop

I saved my file to the Desktop as "_Favorites (Note "_Favorites.ov2" The Underscore before the "_F" forces the POI category to the top of the list

See Maintaining or Creating a Personal POI category
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1631543/#Comment_1631543

Searching a POI Category

For example... I have loaded the 3rd party POI's for the National Trust...
    To show the POI's for "National Trust" as a List, work your way down to option (1)
    To show the POI's for "National Trust" on the map, use option (2)

From the main screen
    Tap (....)4Dot Icon (Screen Bottom left)
    Swipe left or Tap the mid/right edge of the screen to go to and tap the MyPlaces Icon
    Scroll down and select the required POI Category For example "National Trust"
    You now have three options
    The Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required "National Trust" site, Type dud(maston) (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list
    Tap on Dudmaston Hall and select the Drive Icon

You also have two further options.....
    After the initial "National Trust" POI selection
    There's a dual Icon (screen bottom right) with Three Lines and Two circles

qofsb2rafes7.jpg
    (1)..... Tap the three Lines Icon (bottom right screen) and a list will appear of the "National Trust" sites in distance order
    (2)...... Tap the Two circle Icon for the "National Trust" sites POI's to appear on the screen (Pinch zoom for detail) (Note..... On the Start range it's easier to tap the plus and minus buttons to zoom the map screen)
    as far as I'm aware it will show the nearest 60ish POI's around your location
    There is also a Keyboard Icon (screen bottom right) to return to the search window from the options (1) and (2)

An example of the generic Icons on the search screen, the Icons are dynamic so the closer you zoom more icons appear
    Tap on a Generic Icon for more information
    The generic displayed Icons all relate to the POI category in use i.e... Burger King, so you don't need the Burger King associated Icon

74eedb1f-18ae-449b-a8b5-97669f825f30.jpg
    ATB YFM
  • bernardfeaybernardfeay Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I want the icons to disappear from the map. I do not spot this in the instructions.
  • pelham89pelham89 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    I found the best way of doing this is by using the site Tyre. Then put your My Places into a relevant POI Category, down loading them through my Drive to your device, then you'll be able to show which or none on your map.
    edited April 7
    Hi
    @bernardfeay
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    (Snip)You can now delete the MyPlaces that aren't required (Saves the MyPlaces blue star screen clutter) and use your New Favorites POI Category instead

ATB YFM

edited April 7
    Hi
    @pelham89
    pelham89 wrote: »
    I found the best way of doing this is by using the site Tyre. Then put your My Places into a relevant POI Category, down loading them through my Drive to your device, then you'll be able to show which or none on your map.
    +1... I agree
    See the Link below from my original reply to user bernardfeay

ATB YFM
    Sounds like a plan, thank you. I will try it tonight.
    Seems "tyre" is no longer available and MyRoute is a subscription service.
    Hi
    @bernardfeay

Tyre to Travel basic (Free) is definitely still available...
    http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/download-tyre-basic/
    Scroll down page....
    Enter first & Last Name
    Email Address
    Country
    Subscribe to newsletter Y or N
    Finish

Download & install

I've also started using the Free, slightly quirky, but very good ITN Converter
    ITN Converter has a huge number of Map types default is Google Maps, the Tomtom Routes Map is included, the ITN Converter also Saves/Exports a huge number of route file types, it will also export straight to the Tomtoms MyDrive Route planner...
    ITN Converter has a Route optimizer

The ITN Converter is quirky because it uses It uses two Windows, one with all the save/export options the other, being the "Editor Window" where you plan your routes
    Get ITN Converter here...
    http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&itemid=3&lang=en

There is a Tomtom Map... I also think the ITN Converters ViaMichelin and the Nokia OVI Maps appear to be a good match to Tomtom Map

Don't forget to save the POI Category as .Ov2

ATB YFM