open rider400 to remove condensation ?? — TomTom Community

open rider400 to remove condensation ??

JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 292 [Exalted Navigator]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
(please don't move this to an old dead thread about a hardware swap, thanks)
Say, i am away from home for a few weeks and ran into the condensation problem, bad. i can see the screen just fine, i can live with that. my problem is where the condensation is, the screen doesn't pick up touches, say the menu, and other important areas. if i take the torx out, does the gps come apart enough, or is the moisture trapped in the screen ??
i have had my 400 about 2 years, since i jumped aboard at the us launch, first time i had seen this. i was in good rain riding, i think i put it in its case face down for the night. didn't think anything of it. oops.

any thoughts or opinions on how to make the devise more usable on this trip ?? put it on the heater with fan blowing, hang it from the ceiling fan, (kidding), open it and try to blow in it, not sure. i'm not seeing the 550 state side on amazon , i could purchase something else, but not sure i can get all my routes off it. it does have a card in it.

thanks so much for any help here.

Comments

• Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 728 Superuser
    Don’t open it, you may damage it... Try to put in a closed box with silica gel, or similar moisture high absorption chemicals, like calcium chloride...
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 292 [Exalted Navigator]
    i am good with electronics, but don't want to smoke it
    have packets at the house, but not sure what i would pick up on the road in small town tennessee , i will be traveling in a few days though, walmart and things like that.
    well, left it on the room heater, not hot, but regular motel one. gps turned on, been a day rince it rained again yesterday. last night it was just 1 small light condensation spot. today its perfect, in the room. it is angled so when the fan turns on it blows on the gps. i chose screen side, not sure if the other side would have made a difference.
    hope it works on the road. not sure what the condensation does in the long term, but guessing it sure wont help any. mine was bad,
  • ReviewerReviewer Posts: 49 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Joel S. wrote:
    Say, i am away from home for a few weeks and ran into the condensation problem, bad. i can see the screen just fine, i can live with that. my problem is where the condensation is, the screen doesn't pick up touches, say the menu, and other important areas.

I have had similar problems with mobile phones. Usually fixed by letting them spend the night in a plastic bag filled with rice.
    Reviewer wrote:
    Joel S. wrote:
    Say, i am away from home for a few weeks and ran into the condensation problem, bad. i can see the screen just fine, i can live with that. my problem is where the condensation is, the screen doesn't pick up touches, say the menu, and other important areas.
    I have had similar problems with mobile phones. Usually fixed by letting them spend the night in a plastic bag filled with rice.

Seemed to like that. I did it for many days and never saw the spot again. I had a gallon size freezer bag with me that worked great. I would pop the gps in after riding and use he rice as preventative measures. I may do that after riding in the rain as a just in case.
    Thanks for the tip. Kept it alive for the trip, and seems back to normal
  • interactive3interactive3 Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I rode in the rain a week ago with my rider 400 behind a windshield (no direct rain at speed). Yesterday I tried to use it and it was nearly unreadable. The touch screen was largely not responsive, at least with gloves on yesterday. Last night I opened the SIM cover to try to allow it to dry out. It appears to be a bit less fogged.
    9gq9mqke6k36.png

This was totally unexpected since the unit appears to have great sealing and was pretty well protected. Perhaps TomTom needs to incorporate some way to allow water vapor to escape from the enclosure. Ideally it wold be hermetically sealed but if not it should be able to dry out in a day.