WNRO update emergency (Go 730)

Why have TomTom sent me an urgent email on 3 April 2019 to update my GO 730 application when the new version (v9.541) weighs in at 420MB and can't fit on my 2GB memory card?

The web installer tells me I need to free up 232MB of space to install the application - but the only way to achieve that would be to remove the 1.5GB Western & Central Europe map on my card…which I suspect I need to keep!

Is this an exercise in wasting my life?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• pr100pr100 Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Having spent a long time on the phone with a helpful TomTom techie, the (only) solution was to delete my installed Western & Central Europe map and download in its place the "Western Europe" subset of that map. This gave me the necessary free space to install the bloated new application - but obviously at a price since I no longer have the Central Europe maps (which, to be fair, I haven't needed yet and may never need).

My helpful techie teed up the download for me and told me what order to do things. I don't know if this is a process that anyone can do for themselves, ie without an insider queueing up the downloads and barking blow-by-blow instructions.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,814 Superuser
    Hi @pr100

How much space have you got on the internal memory

Doug
    Hi Douglap - it's a 2GB card with around 200MB of free space. The only way to free up the extra 232MB needed for the download would be to remove the map file, rendering the device useless unless it can be used as a baby monitor.
  • tapperstappers Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I have the same problem with my internal memory. I have Australian maps which I use and it is asking me to delete them to fit in the update. Tried a larger blank card and it would not put the update there. Do I copy Australian maps to a card and then delete from internal memory? Not sure how to do this.
  • lkrauslkraus Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    I need to free up 261MB, but excluding the map (1697.3 MB), the only items suggested for deletion total just 73.2MB. The biggest (45.1MB) is the voice file, which is also really important. TomTom really needs to provide more guidance on how to handle this problem. Otherwise, I feel that they are just taunting us.
    Accepted Answer
    Having spent a long time on the phone with a helpful TomTom techie, the (only) solution was to delete my installed Western & Central Europe map and download in its place the "Western Europe" subset of that map. This gave me the necessary free space to install the bloated new application - but obviously at a price since I no longer have the Central Europe maps (which, to be fair, I haven't needed yet and may never need).

My helpful techie teed up the download for me and told me what order to do things. I don't know if this is a process that anyone can do for themselves, ie without an insider queueing up the downloads and barking blow-by-blow instructions.
  • pebspebs Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    since downloading I cannot get the touch screen to respond. It was working fine prior to the update. Go 720 device
    lkraus wrote: »
    I need to free up 261MB, but excluding the map (1697.3 MB), the only items suggested for deletion total just 73.2MB. The biggest (45.1MB) is the voice file, which is also really important. TomTom really needs to provide more guidance on how to handle this problem. Otherwise, I feel that they are just taunting us.

Hopefully there's a smaller version/subset of your existing map that you can download. If not, I fear you will have to take the discount offer on a new device.

Not installing the new WNRO version of the TomTom application will leave you unable to load any maps after April 6th.
    Considering making a backup, running the update, and rest
    pr100 wrote: »

Hopefully there's a smaller version/subset of your existing map that you can download. If not, I fear you will have to take the discount offer on a new device.

Not installing the new WNRO version of the TomTom application will leave you unable to load any maps after April 6th.

I'm already unable to load any maps. Neither HOME nor the website will let me select any map, regardless of size or price.

I knew about the WNRO changes several months ago, and since TomTom dropped support for my GO730 over a year ago, I accepted that it might become a brick. But to have TomTom offer an update that they had to know could not work is just insulting. Why are they wasting my time?

The newer GO units lack the MP3 player my wife uses so much, so we will be using apps on our phones in the future. For my motorcycle, I've found several GPS apps using on-phone maps that do not require cellular data service for prices less than $20 each. More features, way less cost. I have too many better options to consider another TomTom.
    Just looked at the release notes for the WNRO fix. This has been available since December 19, 2018, and we are given only THREE days notice?
    As a 730 owner myself, I know that it is possible to downsize my map file and thereby install the WNRO application update…because I've just done it. You may not have the option of a smaller map, in which case the installer would not offer any other options (under "More info"). Or you may have another problem. If you haven't already done so, you should pick up the phone and get one of their techies on the job.

But for sure, TomTom have handled this badly and will lose some of their old customers. Telling people to install a critical update which can't fit on the memory card is incompetent.
    I knew about the WNRO changes several months ago, and since TomTom dropped support for my GO730 over a year ago, I accepted that it might become a brick. But to have TomTom offer an update that they had to know could not work is just insulting. Why are they wasting my time?
    I finally took a chance and used my file manager to move the map folder (\Internal\North_America_2GB) to my PC temporarily, ran the update, and moved the map folder back to the 730. Seems to have worked. Lost about 39MB of free space.

Would have been nice if TomTom had provided this procedure as a safe option.
    Good news - but the new application is 400MB bigger than the old one so double-check that you're running the new version.
  • HarvzHarvz Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    Hi- I have a GO 720 which I have the same issue with, except that whilst going back and forth trying to work out what I could delete to allow the latest upgrade to fit onto the internal memory of the unit, the Home software has deleted the whole of the Western Europe map. I don't have a back up either (my old backup was on a now dead PC), so what can I do? This is totally incompetent of Tom Tom to provide update software too big to fit onto the device, and then not suggest a backup before doing anything else!!
    No support phone calls or emails with Tom Tom possible either- ridiculous. Is this the right way to treat customers?
    Even if I can get a UK map back, it would be better than nothing.
    Harvz, I got a techie who helped me out by calling ‭020 7949 0132‬.
    pr100 wrote: »
    Good news - but the new application is 400MB bigger than the old one so double-check that you're running the new version.

The update needed 420MB of free space to download before being installed, but after replacing existing files, only an additional 39 MB was used. The GO 730 shows the correct new software version, 9.541.